• The KillerFrogs

Edit: Texas and Oklahoma now leaving early

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ah. A pity. I was hoping that, after a lopsided defeat in Fort Worth, the poor Longhorns would hear Vera Lynn crooning "We'll Meet Again" over the sound system in Amon Carter...

After another cup of delicious coffee, more things spring to mind about this. One of the things I pointed out about UT leaving was that they lose the stroke of being the Big Fish in the BIGXII. Now that lilliputian status is being served up to them on a platter. How's that taste, UT? Bitter?

Mrs. Brewingfrog notes that the parties involved in the luring of UT and OU have shown just how inconstant and untrustworthy they are, and that getting in bed with them in the first place was a terrible mistake. Should the BIGXII consider taking them back?

Last edited:

Limey Frog

FWIW, I suspect this is just public negotiating and that Texas and Oklahoma will leave in 2024 eventually. The exit fee was reported to be known and acceptable to both sides--somewhere around a combined $160M. It was also reported that ESPN (which owns 65% of the Big 12 media rights for 2024 and 100% of the SEC) don't care, because they get OU/Texas either way, but that Fox loses out if they leave early. Dennis Dodd reported last week or so that Fox needed to be "made whole" for 2024 by OU/Texas playing non-conference games on Big XII campuses after they leave. Fox would then get the rights to those games.

I'm guessing the current sticking point is OU and Texas baulking at the idea of signing contracts for road-only or 2-for-1 non-conference games with programs that are beneath their elevated station and general dignity. This, presumably, is the Big XII publicly saying "ok then, don't leave early". Eventually they will cave and sign the deal; or they won't. Whatever. It's their bloody problem.

Last edited:

Brog

Ah. A pity. I was hoping that, after a lopsided defeat in Fort Worth, the poor Longhorns would hear Vera Lynn crooning "We'll Meet Again" over the sound system in Amon Carter...

After another cup of delicious coffee, more things spring to mind about this. One of the things I pointed out about UT leaving was that they lose the stroke of being the Big Fish in the BIGXII. Now that lilliputian status is being served up to them on a platter. How's that taste, UT? Bitter?

Mrs. Brewingfrog notes that the parties involved in the luring of UT and OU have shown just how inconstant and untrustworthy they are, and that getting in bed with them in the first place was a terrible mistake. Should the BIGXII consider taking them back?
Should the Bigxii consider taking them back? No!

Zubaz

Not sure I get this point. What has the SEC done to show those schools that they are "untrustworthy"? And I can't think of a single reason why either school would be better off in the Big 12 than in the SEC.
FWIW, I suspect this is just public negotiating and that Texas and Oklahoma will leave in 2024 eventually. The exit fee was reported to be known and acceptable to both sides--somewhere around a combined $160M. It was also reported that ESPN (which owns 65% of the Big 12 media rights for 2024 and 100% of the SEC) don't care, because they get OU/Texas either way, but that Fox loses out if they leave early. Dennis Dodd reported last week or so that Fox needed to be "made whole" for 2024 by OU/Texas playing non-conference games on Big XII campuses after they leave. Fox would then get the rights to those games.
Yeah, if I had to guess this is where the hangup is. Early departures are fairly easy to negotiate from the school's perspective, we've seen that plenty of times, and ESPN gets more money from them being in the SEC so they don't care either. Fox is the one getting screwed here, and they're the ones that are going to gum up the process.

One of the central issues: Oklahoma was essentially unwilling to fund anything beyond their baseline exit fees, and wanted ESPN/SEC to step in to bridge the gap. SEC didn't want to do that, or they didn't have the support from SEC membership to do anything, so they leaned on ESPN. ESPN essentially said no (only came up with some funny scheduling ideas that TX/OU didn't like), as the status quo really benefits them, same with Fox in many ways. Texas was the most engaged and ready to make a deal, but couldn't do it alone.

Last edited:

vicarfrog

One of the central issues: Oklahoma was essentially unwilling to fund anything beyond their baseline exit fees, and wanted ESPN/SEC to step in to bridge the gap. SEC didn't want to do that, or they didn't have the support from SEC membership to do anything, so they leaned on ESPN. ESPN essentially said no (only came up with some funny scheduling ideas that TX/OU didn't like), as the status quo really benefits them, same with Fox in many ways. Texas was the most engaged and ready to make a deal, but couldn't do it alone.

Does having TX/OU in for a couple of more years help or hurt the Big 12?

TCUdirtbag

OU continues to take Ls because they don’t manage their finances well.

Froginbedford

Kudos on Vera Lynn and "We'll Meet Again".....Popular WW2 song and the finale in Peter Sellers' classic "Doctor Strangelove".....I discern that you are a seasoned person....And hell no, don't take 'em back....

Traveling Frog

It would be interesting if Texas and Oklahoma had to pay 100m to the remaining 8 school. That's 12.5 million per school. That a nice offset but overall i think it helps the future Big 12 more to have the "Brands" in for a couple years with the 4 newcomers.