• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Sitting in a Raising Cane's in KY eating delicious chicken and watching people wig out about this storm system. Catching up on HASMSP and pages 8237 - 8239 killed me. Highlighted by this gem...

I love this thread.

If you see Jim Cantore setting up outside with The Weather Channel then Run for your Life!!

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
You know what would be nice?

If we had some sort of new strain of revenue in this state, something heavily taxed, that could funnel money to schools. I don't know, maybe something currently prohibited that doesn't really make much sense as to why...
I would tax all foreigners living abroad.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Without being argumentative, i just say in the areas of College and Career Readiness, STEM, and Bilingual Ed, Texas is among the national leaders.

original.jpg

tcudoc

Ghetto is a term that was originally applied to the segregated area for the Jews in Venice. Now it is a catch all for any part of a city with a large minority group.
I read the above quote in Silky Johnston's voice from the time machine skit on The Chappelle Show.

player-haters-chappelle.jpg

"Honky" is a racial epithet used for white people. It was made popular by a man named George Jefferson in the 1970s. You see, he and his wife, Weezie, owned a dry-cleaning business, so they moved on up to the east side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky. They finally got a piece of the pie.

Purp

You know what would be nice?

If we had some sort of new strain of revenue in this state, something heavily taxed, that could funnel money to schools. I don't know, maybe something currently prohibited that doesn't really make much sense as to why...
I don't think the problem is spending related. It's administration related. For what DISD spends per student a parent could send their kid to a very nice private school.

Purp

It's not the amount of dollars spent, it's what they do with the dollars spent. There are plenty of good school districts in Texas that spend well below the national average per pupil. Hell, even below the state average. Likewise, there are school districts who spend far more than the average and suck.

Kids don't need brand new buildings and state-of-the-art technology to learn well. I grew up in public school in Kilgore, Texas and we didn't have all the greatest facilities and gadgets, but I was able to get a great education that prepared me well enough to avoid grammar nazi detection on KF.c.

We spend way too much time talking about how much we spend per student and far too little time talking about the other aspects of education that make it suck. Dollars spent per pupil is an easy number to derive and complain about, but the other figures are more nebulous and more difficult to nail down. If you doubled the amount spent per student in DISD you wouldn't fix the problems in that district.

Now you've drawn me offsides. Dammit. I'm going to sit out the rest of the quarter now.