• The KillerFrogs

UCF National Champions

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Its-Not-A-Playoff.gif

Wexahu

This is the part(s) I'm not sure you're grasping.

Neither of them won a national championship. No one actually believes they did. But if the "system was fixed", they would've had their shot. That's what it's all about.

If they get beat and knocked out, then they aren't complaining because they got a chance. Instead the blue bloods are in, everyone else outside looking in.

I get it, but again, their schedule was nowhere near strong enough to justify a playoff spot. As far as I'm concerned they conceded their shot when they decided to play Maryland, Austin Peay and Maine. Scheduling is almost entirely within their control and they decided to play a P5 team that has almost no history of success and a couple of layups. And I know you can't just go play anyone you want because it takes two to make a deal, but they can sure do a hell of a lot better than that. I'd bet an Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma or Clemson would gladly host UCF.

Besides, letting teams like them in just because they "deserve a shot" isn't fair to everyone else, and heck, it'd screw up the competitive balance of the playoff itself. If Alabama, Clemson, TCU and UCF made a playoff wouldn't you be a little miffed if Alabama got to play UCF in the semi-final instead of a team that had a much more legitimate chance of beating them? Drawing UCF in a playoff game would be like winning the lottery compared to other potential opponents. And that reality would exist even if they expanded it to 8 teams. How far down the rankings list would you have to go to find a team that wouldn't be favored against UCF?

netty2424

I get it, but again, their schedule was nowhere near strong enough to justify a playoff spot. As far as I'm concerned they conceded their shot when they decided to play Maryland, Austin Peay and Maine. Scheduling is almost entirely within their control and they decided to play a P5 team that has almost no history of success and a couple of layups. And I know you can't just go play anyone you want because it takes two to make a deal, but they can sure do a hell of a lot better than that. I'd bet an Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma or Clemson would gladly host UCF.

Besides, letting teams like them in just because they "deserve a shot" isn't fair to everyone else, and heck, it'd screw up the competitive balance of the playoff itself. If Alabama, Clemson, TCU and UCF made a playoff wouldn't you be a little miffed if Alabama got to play UCF in the semi-final instead of a team that had a much more legitimate chance of beating them? Drawing UCF in a playoff game would be like winning the lottery compared to other potential opponents. And that reality would exist even if they expanded it to 8 teams. How far down the rankings list would you have to go to find a team that wouldn't be favored against UCF?
They beat Auburn.

TooColdU

Auburn was favored over UCF by 10.5 points, yet UCF was beating them for the majority of the game. In the end, the spread didn't matter.

tcufrogprince1

Four teams would have been fine, but taking two teams from one conference should never ever be done again. It doesn't even matter if they truly look like the two best teams. Its bad business. I wont be watching the National Championship Game and I dont think I will be the only one.

Frog-in-law1995

As impressive as their bowl win was over Auburn, they beat no other top 20 team (Assuming Memphis falls from 20.) Only beat SMU by a TD. That’s not a natty resume. But congrats on an undefeated season. (Though the opener against Maine was cancelled), LOL

USF is 23/24, and will likely be ranked in the top 20 ahead of LSU in the final poll. And of course LSU is the only top 20 team that Alabama beat in the regular season.

Sebastian S

I would hate to play a team like UCF in a bowl game.

A team that has nothing to lose and all to gain. Those teams have an edge to them and pretty dangerous.

Like TCU pre-big 12, nobody wanted to play us.

As impressive as their bowl win was over Auburn, they beat no other top 20 team (Assuming Memphis falls from 20.) Only beat SMU by a TD. That’s not a natty resume. But congrats on an undefeated season. (Though the opener against Maine was cancelled), LOL

FIU was their opener. The Maine game was cancelled because their first game against Memphis was postponed bc of the hurricane. They played Memphis the day they were scheduled for Maine. Their game against GaTech was cancelled for the same reason and neither had a common open date. Austin Peay had an open date in October, essentially taking the place of Maine. They had some bad luck with the schedule. A win over GT would have certainly given them a more impressive resume.

Surfrog

FYI TCU did something similar with the rose bowl. They colored in the "National Championship" line of the pyramid and 99% sure they paid bonuses to the coaches.

Wexahu

I would hate to play a team like UCF in a bowl game.

A team that has nothing to lose and all to gain. Those teams have an edge to them and pretty dangerous.

Like TCU pre-big 12, nobody wanted to play us.

That psychological advantage (which IMO is real in these NY6 Bowls where one team wants to prove they belong and the other wants to.....well, I don't know, just win a game I guess) pretty much goes away though if it was a playoff game.

I know people (usually the fans of the G5 teams) want to say it makes no difference but it absolutely does. If it's a playoff game all the sudden BOTH teams have everything to play for and everything to lose. Pretty sure if you ask any coach who they'd rather play in survive-and-advance playoff game, virtually every single one would rather play a G5 team instead of an at-large or conference champion P5.