• The KillerFrogs

Aardvark is closing

frogs9497

So this location will become a faith-based venue with food and no alcohol? Will be interesting to see if this plan remains viable.

YA

Milo's has memorabilia on the walls claiming it was there. I know because I wore that bar out in the late 90's.

Some real old school bad ass foosball players in that place.
Just like people claim Fort Worth is a Dallas suburb--the scene was filmed at the HOP and is credited in the movie.

That is not to say other bar scenes were not filmed at the dallas bar as the movie about Ron Kovic, who really liked to drink as the movie portrayed.

Chongo94

So this location will become a faith-based venue with food and no alcohol? Will be interesting to see if this plan remains viable.

Oh it will stay viable cause...
JesusFish.gif

That said, I find it an extremely odd choice and location for something like that. Sad days indeed.

Tom Brown

Well, count me out. The Aardvark had one of the better sound systems in town. The Grotto closed too. Maybe Magnolia can pick up the alt-music scene.

OICU812

Huh, really thought that was at Milo's in Dallas. Very cool.

It was Milo's by SMU. First-hand knowledge, extra in the dance scene, and drove a late-60's vintage camaro up to the bar (think that part got cut, never really watched the whole thing.) Beat-down two day's worth of shooting, only decent part was getting to meet Ronnie and spend lots of time playing street football between takes with extras and crew. Also the guys in the band were pretty cool- Local Dallas band doing a cover of "Born on the Bayou" about thirty-five times until they got just the right "expression of concern" on the singers face as the fight started. Also, Mimi Rogers looked like a linebacker in heels. . And Tom is guhay.

NYC Horned Frog

I texted a college buddy who lives in FW about Aardvark and he told me that Bakers Street is closing too. I don't have near the sentimental connection to that one but I do remember we went there a lot right when it opened because it was something new and different. I think that was my Jr. year.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Just like people claim Fort Worth is a Dallas suburb--the scene was filmed at the HOP and is credited in the movie.

That is not to say other bar scenes were not filmed at the dallas bar as the movie about Ron Kovic, who really liked to drink as the movie portrayed.
I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative because it doesn't matter to me but the following shows Milo's:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096969/locations?mode=desktop

A google search of both bars and the movie only provides mentions of Milo's. Something is amiss in the interwebs.

Frogenstein

They did film a bar scene for ‘Born On the 4th of July’ at the HOP. I never saw the movie so no idea what scene it was or even if it made it into the movie. The Skiff wrote a big article about it and they were calling for extras prior to shooting the scene.