• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans

Zubaz

You ignored my point about the NFL dropping draft restrictions. That frees up the 18-22 year olds for the NFL. And if they show promise let the NFL bring them in, place them on a paid development program for a year or two. The reason the NFL has the draft restrictions is because college football is their free development league and they love it.
I specifically referenced the NFL's monopoly, and totally agree it's a huge reason why the NCAA is able to control players the way that they are. No argument from me there at all. NFL basically has a free minor league, and all they had to do was get the union to exclude anyone under 21. It's crap, it should be busted up.

Pharm Frog

so transfers count against you total scholarship count, but not your class count as long as you take 7 or fewer transfers?

sorry…just got into the hotel. But yes, that’s my understanding. This could help a bit with the high schooler who’s been told that’s there’s no openings at this time and maybe you should gray shirt. Still have a couple or three years of a glut though to wash out the impact of the super senior.

CountryFrog

I mean, we literally just had a Supreme Court case where they recognized their rights were being infringed. I'm not equating them to blood diamond miners, doesn't mean that they were being treated fairly either.
I agree that they don't have a totally fair setup but very few people in life do. Calling them victims is being pretty dramatic though. They're about as victimized as Scarlett Johansson was by Disney. If it had gone to trial then Johansson may have won which would I guess make her the victim. But no one should be feeling too sorry for either side.

Eight

I specifically referenced the NFL's monopoly, and totally agree it's a huge reason why the NCAA is able to control players the way that they are. No argument from me there at all. NFL basically has a free minor league, and all they had to do was get the union to exclude anyone under 21. It's crap, it should be busted up.

technically there isn't an age exclusion to be a member of the nflpa. the restriction is a waiting period of 3-years after the completion of your high school graduating class

you are correct in that college football basically is a farm system for the nfl and i don't believe the nfl wants to take on the expense of starting anything similar to a minor league system

Moose Stuff

technically there isn't an age exclusion to be a member of the nflpa. the restriction is a waiting period of 3-years after the completion of your high school graduating class

you are correct in that college football basically is a farm system for the nfl and i don't believe the nfl wants to take on the expense of starting anything similar to a minor league system
I’m certain the NFL wants no part of that. MLB cutting minor league teams and shortening the draft is 100% about owners saving money.

I’m certain the NFL wants no part of that. MLB cutting minor league teams and shortening the draft is 100% about owners saving money.
The NFL owners if nothing else seem like they have and understanding of business models so I can’t imagine they would want any part of a system that costs money when the colleges do a fine job of developing the grown ass men they use to play their games for free.

Moose Stuff

The NFL owners if nothing else seem like they have and understanding of business models so I can’t imagine they would want any part of a system that costs money when the colleges do a fine job of developing the grown ass men they use to play their games for free.
I think part of the reason MLB did what they did had to do with the commitment so many colleges have made to baseball and how well they were doing at developing players.

It's possible to argue that they are (were?) being taken advantage of while at the same time recognizing that there are people that have it worse. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Every facet of life is transactional and you rarely get more than you give. If you’re married and have kids, you know this empirically.

Nearly every one of us work to make other people more money than we get, too. So you could say we are all being taken advantage of.

Part of the allure of college sports is that they are NOT professionals. We know it’s not the highest level product out there, but we’re bound to it by our dedication to the school. In exchange for an education that is supposed to give them a foundation to build the rest of their lives on, they get to do things most people only dream of doing.

In an effort to bring some equity to the college athletes, they possibly created the most inequitable system possible in the NIL. Some kids will get obscene amounts of money, while the ones protecting them from getting body-slammed by the next Jevon Kearse will get next to nothing.

Moose Stuff

Every facet of life is transactional and you rarely get more than you give. If you’re married and have kids, you know this empirically.

Nearly every one of us work to make other people more money than we get, too. So you could say we are all being taken advantage of.

Part of the allure of college sports is that they are NOT professionals. We know it’s not the highest level product out there, but we’re bound to it by our dedication to the school. In exchange for an education that is supposed to give them a foundation to build the rest of their lives on, they get to do things most people only dream of doing.

In an effort to bring some equity to the college athletes, they possibly created the most inequitable system possible in the NIL. Some kids will get obscene amounts of money, while the ones protecting them from getting body-slammed by the next Jevon Kearse will get next to nothing.
Yeah there are definitely varying degrees of getting taken advantage of. The degree to which college athletes were taken advantage of was unbelievably minute in the grand scheme of life.