• The KillerFrogs

Youth and Fuente

BBG817

Main worry right now is play of OL, feel like they are getting ready to get exposed and hope the QB and RB's can make it through the season. The group will be fine over time, but too young this year and we haven't faced anywhere near what they are about to. Feel the same about the DL too, Fields and DL should be good after an off-season or two, too small and inexperienced now.

The QB doesn't do the OL any favors by staying in the pocket as long as he does.

Also, our playcalling, particularly in the red zone has been lackluster. In the red zone it has been very basic, lacks creativity and not taking advantage of our weapons. It is very obvious on both sides of the ball they are keeping things simple in terms of scheme, expect this changes.

Even with a basic scheme right now, the playcalling has been lacking in the red zone.

Will we notice the lack of Fuente as the season moves on?

Youth/inexperience = penalties.. This needs to get fixed..

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
At the game yesterday I made the comment that in years past during non-conference we keep the offense pretty "bland" and don't show the entire playbook. I wonder if that is the case right now. We didn't need to show much against Grambling St. We were in control of the game against Kansas even with four turnovers. We had a comfortable lead against Virginia early and again didn't need to open it up in a big way. I think we see a whole different offense once we get into the meat of our schedule in the Big 12.

fanatical frog

Main worry right now is play of OL, feel like they are getting ready to get exposed and hope the QB and RB's can make it through the season. The group will be fine over time, but too young this year and we haven't faced anywhere near what they are about to. Feel the same about the DL too, Fields and DL should be good after an off-season or two, too small and inexperienced now.

The QB doesn't do the OL any favors by staying in the pocket as long as he does.

Also, our playcalling, particularly in the red zone has been lackluster. In the red zone it has been very basic, lacks creativity and not taking advantage of our weapons. It is very obvious on both sides of the ball they are keeping things simple in terms of scheme, expect this changes.

Even with a basic scheme right now, the playcalling has been lacking in the red zone.

Will we notice the lack of Fuente as the season moves on?

Youth/inexperience = penalties.. This needs to get fixed..

I had those same thoughts watching the game yesterday. I'm guessing and hoping the staff just isn't ready to show and doesn't yet feel the need to show everything we've got.

For most of the LHCGP era we seem to start slow and withhold lot's of the playbook until we need it.

Devonte Fields got held.....flagrantly....all day long. Every play I watched him he either got held or easily handled. He needs to develop more weapons soon cause he ain't adding twenty pounds for another year.

HG73

Valid points. Regarding the OL, Virginia's DL was as big and physical as any we will face in the B12 with the exception of OU and UT. Our OL isn't where it needs to be, but it is getting there. Regarding the playcalling (both on O and D), I believe it has been very vanilla for two reasons: young team early in the season, and coach doesn't want to show everything against weaker opponents. Like you said, everything will improve as the season goes on. The team will get better, and the coaches will take more chances. I don't think we have blitzed or played anything but base defense more than a coule of plays in three full games.

Latest posts