• The KillerFrogs

Yet another college paints their field in school colors like Boise St

AggieAngst

http://blog.beaumont...urple-and-gray/

http://ucasports.com...x?path=football

UCA Athletics Director Brad Teague, says that UCA has received an unprecedented amount of publicity since UCA installed the purple turf, including compliments from NFL teams, sportwwriters across the country, the prestigious SPORTING NEWS publication, and other colleges.

statement by UCA Ath Dir Teague:

"The amount of national publicity has far exceeded all our expectations," Teague said. "We are very pleased with the enormous attention we are receiving. Most importantly, it has driven attention to our athletics and campus websites. It's nice to know that we have thousands and thousands of people who have never heard of the University of Central Arkansas who are now becoming very much aware of our great campus and community. We're continuing to field requests by national media for interviews and information, and I can't imagine what additional attention it will bring when the turf is actually installed."

The story appeared both online and in print in numerous outlets outside the local market, being lauded as the "coolest field in college football" by The Sporting News, getting high visibility on the Yahoo! home page, in the USA Today and on its website, CBS Sports and Fox Sports websites and was also picked up by the Idaho Statesman and Orlando Sentinel, along with national syndication from The Sports Network wire service.

Teague has also made appearances on radio shows throughout the country, ranging from Boise, Idaho to Corpus Christi, Texas to – most recently – appearing on the Tony Barnhart & Wes Durham show on 790 The Zone in Atlanta.

Durham, the voice of the Atlanta Falcons and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, had high praise for the field – saying UCA has "the right colors to do it" and that "they're going to win doing this – I don't care what their record is" following the interview.

AggieAngst

If the color of the field is your primary focus rather than improving your own athleticism or becoming the best player you can be - you are a drama queen and were never a player to begin with !

Also if a kid has NFL potential and allows something as superficial as the color of the field to destroy all his dreams and ruin his career, then he deserves exactly what he gets.

As far as your experience on an actual football field goes, my guess is that in High School at halftime of the games, you were the best doggone clarinet player in the band.
I would not play college football if they were the only school to offer me.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Also if a kid has NFL potential and allows something as superficial as the color of the field to destroy all his dreams and ruin his career, then he deserves exactly what he gets.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ya, right.

They all THINK they do, don't they?

That's the dirty little secret of college football. How many don't get chewed up and spit out? Especially from a school like that? Look at the majors like TCU and what are the percentages? 5% to the NFL, maybe? Schools not perennially part of the top 10, what, 1%? Less?

And, to boot MOST don't even get a degree out of the deal. Again, TCU may be exceptional in that regard.

College athletes need to be compensated.

tcumaniac

that's hideous... it's not even purple. it's more of a Homosexual Plum... I think the stripes hurt my eyes even more than a solid purple would

IamFroglash88

This never happened. I heard that it might and then I heard it was an April Fools joke. Who knows?
Tiger Stadium to Feature Purple Field Turf in '10

QXQVJRCJCGFVSLJ.20100329211605.jpg

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

If a kid has NFL potential he ain't goin' to freakin' Central Arkansas......purple turf or no purple turf.

713frog

didn't i read somewhere that FBS schools are not allowed to color their fields anymore? of course, boise is the exception

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
The is NO rule preventing schools from the non-green field. College football's version of the urban myth.

http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2010/03/25/football-legends-revealed-7/

As is often the case, whenever something odd occurs, people try to think of a reason behind it, and the reason that has popped up to explain why only one Division I school has a turf colored anything but green is the “fact” that the NCAA has banned having turf colored anything but green, but the rule only came about after Boise State already did their turf, so rather than cause a big scene making them change it, the NCAA decided instead to let them keep their turf (grandfather them in, essentially) and say no one else can do it.

That’s not the case.

There is no NCAA rule saying what color turfs have to be, the other schools just like the color green.

Here is the NCAA rule regarding Field of Play...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronco_Stadium#Blue_Artificial_Turf

The unique blue turf has spawned several myths. The most prevalent myth is that the NCAA subsequently banned playing surface colors other than green, but allowed Bronco Stadium's field to remain blue under a grandfather clause. In reality, the NCAA has never adopted such a rule. Any school may color its playing surface (or any part, mainly the end zones) any color it wishes. Indeed, other schools have non-green football fields including the University of New Haven (blue)[12] and Eastern Washington University (red). [13] On April 1, 2011, the University of Central Arkansas announced that they would install a purple and grey stripped field to Estes Stadium.[14]