• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC should be in no matter what

Wexahu

Not sure your point, but "most deserving" tends to mean what a team has accomplished. Overall record and who you have beaten. Essentially taking margin of victory and other non W/L data points out. "Best" is who is really better in a "power ranking" sense- who would be favored head to head, etc. W/L still important obviously, but overall power more important. "Best" uses other data points like MOV and efficiency and "eye test". The old BCS leaned toward most deserving with the computer systems they used- no MOV or efficiency or other data allowed. The playoff committee guidelines was a sort of reaction to that, spurred largely by the SEC. They wanted the playoff to be the four "best" teams. That is why I do think in the end they will use the Championship week results in their analysis. But I do get Wetzel's point that the fact that teams not even playing in the arena could potentially "win" (Alabama, Ohio State) stinks.
You’ll never convince me the committee thought Cincy was truly one of the four best teams last year, or that Washington was the year they made it. Or that Ohio State wasn’t one of the four best in 2015 when Zeke Elliott, Bosa and all those other guys were seniors.

I don’t care what you call it, but it’s not the four “best”.

Frog-in-law1995

Conference championships matter, so Clemson very well might pass USC if they win and USC doesn’t (though I don’t think they’re as good as the Trojans). As for Ohio State, it’s a tough call as to which 11-1 team is better. OSU got thumped at home, but by a team nobody else has beaten either. And the Buckeyes won every other game by double digits. USC lost a nailbiter on the road, but to a team that has lost 3 of its other 11 games. And USC has four wins within 1 score this year, including non-bowl bound AZ and Cal. We’ll see tomorrow. I think if I were on the committee, I’d have Ohio State 4 and USC 5 tomorrow, partially because I believe they’re better, but also so that USC can win their way in but not lose their way out. Better optics, more drama.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You’ll never convince me the committee thought Cincy was truly one of the four best teams last year, or that Washington was the year they made it. Or that Ohio State wasn’t one of the four best in 2015 when Zeke Elliott, Bosa and all those other guys were seniors.

Waitaminute! So, you're admitting that The Committee just makes things up as they go along? And that there's no real rhyme or reason to what they do?

Well! I do declare... (/Foghorn Leghorn)

Last edited:

I would agree that on the continuum of "best" (essentially Vegas style rankings) and "most deserving" (old BCS computer style rankings) the committee tends to lean more to "most deserving".

dawg

No way USC should be in with a loss. They’d have a worse record than Ohio State, the same record as (likely) ACC champ Clemson, and only one game better than PAC 12 champ Utah who will have beaten them twice.
tOSU knew the stakes and got boatraced by 22 at home. No way they should be allowed to sneak in because they didn't have to play this week.

Who should be in if USC loses?

Which team is better, 11-1 USC or 11-1 Ohio State?
That's the question. I think the committee could rank OSU 4 this week and have a decent argument for doing so, especially if they weigh the "who would be favored" argument heavily. That would also get them off the hook if they do want to weigh the PAC-12 championship game in the analysis next week.

Jet Set Frog

From the article:

Question No. 2: Has TCU (7) done enough to lock up a spot even if it loses Saturday?

Answer: Yes. Running the table in a quality conference has to count for something, especially when stacked up against what others have done. Sagarin rates the Big 12 slightly ahead of the SEC as the best league in the land, and while that’s debatable, it does reinforce the depth of the conference. With Kansas having drastically improved itself, there are no weak links in the 2022 Big 12. (Iowa State finished last, but six of its losses were by seven points or less.)

A loss to Kansas State at this stage would certainly carry no shame. The Wildcats (9-3) and Horned Frogs played a gripping game in Fort Worth in October, with TCU falling behind 28-10 in the second quarter before scoring the game’s final four touchdowns. At 12-1, the Frogs would have to be blown out to put their playoff spot at risk.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
tOSU knew the stakes and got boatraced by 22 at home. No way they should be allowed to sneak in because they didn't have to play this week.
ESPN is looking at that 17,000,000 viewers metric, and they would like another slice of that pie.

Whatever the garbage they throw out concerning the sham "Committee" or any of the other nonsense, money is the prime consideration. All other considerations are a distant second.

An-Cap Frog

USC or OSU at 4? Here are the schedules:

USC
W Rice 66-14
W @ Stanford 41-28
W Fresno St 45-17
W @ OSU 17-14
W ASU 42-25
W WSU 30-14
L @ Utah 42-43
W @ Arizona 45-37
W Cal 41-35
W Colorado 55-17
W @ UCLA 48-45
W ND 38-27

OSU
W ND 21-10
W Arkansas St 45-12
W Toledo 77-21
W Wisconsin 52-21
W Rutgers 49-10
W @ MSU 49-20
W Iowa 54-10
W @ PSU 44-31
W @ NW 21-7
W Indiana 56-14
W @ Maryland 43-30
L Michigan 23-45

HFrog1999

ESPN is looking at that 17,000,000 viewers metric, and they would like another slice of that pie.

Whatever the garbage they throw out concerning the sham "Committee" or any of the other nonsense, money is the prime consideration. All other considerations are a distant second.

At least with the old Bowl system, they admitted that attendance and ratings were the primary factors.

This nonsense about the committee picking the “four best teams” is ridiculous.

Wexahu

Is a 1 point loss on the road to a 9-3 team better than a 22 point loss at home to a 12-0 team?
That is one game. I guess you can never know for sure because USC didn't play Michigan. USC beat Arizona by 8 and Cal by 6 (at home). I don't think there's a chance in hell if Cal played at OSU they'd come within 6 points.

I won't have a problem at all if OSU gets left at home, but I do think they are the better team than USC. If they played 10 times, USC might win a 2-3 times, but I know that's not how they have to look at these things, nor should they.

dawg

100%

An-Cap Frog

That is one game. I guess you can never know for sure because USC didn't play Michigan. USC beat Arizona by 8 and Cal by 6 (at home). I don't think there's a chance in hell if Cal played at OSU they'd come within 6 points.

I won't have a problem at all if OSU gets left at home, but I do think they are the better team than USC. If they played 10 times, USC might win a 2-3 times, but I know that's not how they have to look at these things, nor should they.
OSU's offense didn't look as good against Michigan, but USC doesn't have a Michigan type offense. The one game in common is the ND game and I feel like ND got better as the season went on. USC's offense might be better at this point than OSU's. I think those two would be an entertaining game, not sure if a Rose Bowl matchup is possible.