• The KillerFrogs

WVU > Loserville

Wexahu

UL is an easily dislikeable win at all costs new-money mess.

It reminds me of a program S of Ft. Worth, except with less athletic department sponsored rape and murder.

It always seemed to me like a cross between the University of Houston and Texas Tech. Because I think its sort of a commuter school, and it's a dumping ground of sorts for people that couldn't get in somewhere else.

WhatTheFrog

It always seemed to me like a cross between the University of Houston and Texas Tech. Because I think its sort of a commuter school, and it's a dumping ground of sorts for people that couldn't get in somewhere else.
Bite your tongue, Buckeye!

I initially applied to 3 schools when I was graduating high school. The most stringent acceptance criteria belonged to TTU (USC and TAMU being the others). This was 1990.

WhatTheFrog

Is this a joke?
LOL! Actually, no.

I was fully admitted by USC (couldn't afford out of state tuition) and A&M (wasn't guraranteed an on-campus dorm room and I was going to college without a vehicle). Tech admitted me, but on a conditional basis with a minimum GPA requirement. God's honest truth.

I'm so glad I was able to transfer to and finish at TCU. There is a huge difference between a private institution such as TCU and a public institution such as Tech (and I'm sure most all other public institutions as well).

Frog-in-law1995

LOL! Actually, no.

I was fully admitted by USC (couldn't afford out of state tuition) and A&M (wasn't guraranteed an on-campus dorm room and I was going to college without a vehicle). Tech admitted me, but on a conditional basis with a minimum GPA requirement. God's honest truth.

I'm so glad I was able to transfer to and finish at TCU. There is a huge difference between a private institution such as TCU and a public institution such as Tech (and I'm sure most all other public institutions as well).

Well, a year later that result was reversed. A good friend of mine couldn't get into A&M and ended up going to Tech instead. Not sure what the issue was, but A&M has always had higher 25/75 SAT scores. Maybe Tech put more emphasis on GPA.

WhatTheFrog

Well, a year later that result was reversed. A good friend of mine couldn't get into A&M and ended up going to Tech instead. Not sure what the issue was, but A&M has always had higher 25/75 SAT scores. Maybe Tech put more emphasis on GPA.
I did goodish on standardized test scores, but I was a lazy student. I was 3rd quarter coming out of high school and my SAT wasn't impressive at all (1000 total).

Maybe that year was an anomaly, I don't know. All I know is that everything I stated above is actual fact. I wouldn't lie about admittance to college. The only reason I ended up at TCU was because I had VA Chapter 31 and a piece of carp vehicle that wouldn't reliably get me to UTA and back on a daily basis (and I lived in SW FTW at the time).

I'm so glad that things worked out the way they did. I grew up in FTW and hated TCU at the time. We had TCU students showing up for our FTW Southwest High School parties, for farg's sake. We thought that TCU was lame, which it was at the time. I moved over at JUST the right time. It was before admissions were tough, but after TCU was making a name for itself. The perfect storm...

Chongo94

With the current press for students out there (they have a stated goal of 40,000 on the lubbock campus alone) the admission requirements at Tech have most definitely changed.

WhatTheFrog

With the current press for students out there (they have a stated goal of 40,000 on the lubbock campus alone) the admission requirements at Tech have most definitely changed.
Just for comparison's sake, the total enrollment of TTU at the time of my attendance was 35-37k.

WhatTheFrog

The reason I remember this, btw, is because I recall ESPN making a big deal out of a state school in Ohio playing and beating Rice by a score of 70-7 or 70-3 back then. That Ohio school had an enrollment over 70k, while Rice had an enrollment of about 7k. The numbers make sense and I'm not surprised that Rice got smoked. I also wouldn't be surprised if most of those Ohio grads now work for those Rice grads.

Chongo94

Just for comparison's sake, the total enrollment of TTU at the time of my attendance was 35-37k.

If you were there in 1990, then your figures are way off. Even if you're including graduate students in that you're still off by 10,000.

The goal of this program is, if I remember correctly, 40,000 undergrads on the Lubbock campus alone. Now it could be total students but I'm pretty sure when I was there and they started it they meant undergrads only. So it's caused a lot of admission requirements to be lowered to get the numbers up. They'll get there too, they're pretty durn close already I believe.

Last edited:

WhatTheFrog

If you were there in 1990, then your figures are way off. Even if you're including graduate students in that you're still off by 10,000.

The goal of this program is, if I remember correctly, 40,000 undergrads on the Lubbock campus alone. Now it could be total students but I'm pretty sure when I was there and they started it they meant undergrads only. So it's caused a lot of admission requirements to be lowered to get the numbers up. They'll get there too, they're pretty durn close already I believe.

WhatTheFrog

Look dude, I was there in '90. The numbers given to us were approximately 35k (undergrads). Why in the heck would I lie about that?! It might have been up to 37k. Truthfully I don't know and I really don't give a shart.

I graduated from TCU with an Entrepreneurial Management degree in Dec 2001. Yes, it took me 11 years to do it, but it got done. Why you gotta hate on me? Im just parroting numbers told to me as i was entering the school. Jeez...

Chongo94

Look dude, I was there in '90. The numbers given to us were approximately 35k (undergrads). Why in the heck would I lie about that?! It might have been up to 37k. Truthfully I don't know and I really don't give a shart.

I graduated from TCU with an Entrepreneurial Management degree in Dec 2001. Yes, it took me 11 years to do it, but it got done. Why you gotta hate on me? Im just parroting numbers told to me as i was entering the school. Jeez...

Haha wow. Easy there Francis. Wasn't trying to insult you or push a button, just saying your figures were off. Whomever told you the numbers was wrong. Blame them, don't get all in a tizzy at me.

Also, your avatar, one of the best movies ever.

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/irim/ARCHIVE/ENR/FALLENRL.php

Last edited:

WhatTheFrog

Haha wow. Easy there Francis. Wasn't trying to insult you or push a button, just saying your figures were off. Whomever told you the numbers was wrong. Blame them, don't get all in a tizzy at me.

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/irim/ARCHIVE/ENR/FALLENRL.php
Maybe they lied to us. That's not out of the realm of things, is it?

University of North Texas told us that current enrollment is in the realm of 37k. Seems unlikely with the amount of space available for that number of students, but who am I to argue?