• The KillerFrogs

Would I be accepted as a Frog fan?

Atheists allowed to support the Frogs?

• Total voters

Horned Toad

1. Evolution and Christianity aren't mutually exclusive.

2. Fox News doesn't suck. (but CNN and MSNBC does)

3. I'm a reincarnationist and I feel welcome.

4. Go Frogs.

TCU-Vegan

I was an atheist and a religion minor!

They don't mind being a non-theist at TCU but think NOT eating animals is kinda weird...

Yee Haw!

Tsfardiim

I came to TCU a disciple and was outraged that someone would suggest taking the c out of tcu, but I'm at the point now that I think it hurts the brand although there's nothing that can be done about it. The c word is an historical artifact. Altough I am a liberal Christian (whatever that means to people on this nebulous spectrum) and believe the word is meaningful to me it connotes something very different to the rest of the marketplace than what it means at tcu. I don't think we should change it but it's a hard thing to overcome. Anyway if you like good football, above avg academics, and really attractive student bodies, tcu can be your adopted home team! The only religion at the game is the hokey invocations and touchdown celebrations.

Oh good lord (no pun intended). I came to TCU in the late '90s largely because of the Disciples affiliation. I was also a religion major. There has never been a movement to remove the "c" or to downplay the "Christian". TCU use the abbreviation for the same reason BYU and USC do. It's better for marketing because it's shorter. Kansas State is often referred to as K-State. Does anyone think they are considering changing their geography? If you want Christianity on campus, it is not hard to find. Between RUF, BYX, HIS, BSM, ADOC, the Wesley Foundation, etc., and weekly chapel (which when I was there was horribly attended), it is not hard to find like-minded people. However, if you don't want it, it is not forced on you (obviously chapel is not mandatory).

mcdaddy

I came to TCU a disciple and was outraged that someone would suggest taking the c out of tcu, but I'm at the point now that I think it hurts the brand although there's nothing that can be done about it. The c word is an historical artifact. Altough I am a liberal Christian (whatever that means to people on this nebulous spectrum) and believe the word is meaningful to me it connotes something very different to the rest of the marketplace than what it means at tcu. I don't think we should change it but it's a hard thing to overcome. Anyway if you like good football, above avg academics, and really attractive student bodies, tcu can be your adopted home team! The only religion at the game is the hokey invocations and touchdown celebrations.

+1

Oh good lord (no pun intended). I came to TCU in the late '90s largely because of the Disciples affiliation. I was also a religion major. There has never been a movement to remove the "c" or to downplay the "Christian". TCU use the abbreviation for the same reason BYU and USC do. It's better for marketing because it's shorter. Kansas State is often referred to as K-State. Does anyone think they are considering changing their geography? If you want Christianity on campus, it is not hard to find. Between RUF, BYX, HIS, BSM, ADOC, the Wesley Foundation, etc., and weekly chapel (which when I was there was horribly attended), it is not hard to find like-minded people. However, if you don't want it, it is not forced on you (obviously chapel is not mandatory).

You're just simply wrong (I wouldn't normally be so blunt but hear me out). There was never a serious suggestion of changing the name -- but Rick Lamie' (spelling in question there -- french sounding name), the director of marketing/news services in the mid to late 90s, and I had a conversation about the fact that they were specifically starting to downplay the word Christian in our marketing materials and fledgling web presence because it is confusing to everyone (this is when I was outraged - I've changed my mind since). He said conservative Christians send their kids here thinking they are going to get a Baylor or an ACU experience and that's simply not what we offer. Liberal Christians and secularists are turned off by the word if they don't know very much about the school because they too assume it's an ACU or Baylor type institution. Disciples know what to expect and so we don't really count in this marketing equation.

This is probably too complex of a conversation to have here, but TCU is essentially a secular school now and just like any other college campus you can find Christianity on campus - but Christian is a very confusing word (much more so than the M in SMU) to many that don't have more time to find out about the school other than to see it's name on a football score or see the first page of a brochure. Thus the confusion of the original poster/poll taker.

MAF

ricksterh

Very well said. TCU has an affiliation with the Christian Church aka Deciples of Christ. I was raised Catholic and attended some services at the Newman Club when I was in school. I have always considered TCU to be more of an inclusive school rather than eclusive and by that I mean TCU accepts many religions are included and welcome at TCU rather than limited to a given doctrine all points of view are welcome and accepted. :biggrin:

You're just simply wrong (I wouldn't normally be so blunt but hear me out). There was never a serious suggestion of changing the name -- but Rick Lamie' (spelling in question there -- french sounding name), the director of marketing/news services in the mid to late 90s, and I had a conversation about the fact that they were specifically starting to downplay the word Christian in our marketing materials and fledgling web presence because it is confusing to everyone (this is when I was outraged - I've changed my mind since). He said conservative Christians send their kids here thinking they are going to get a Baylor or an ACU experience and that's simply not what we offer. Liberal Christians and secularists are turned off by the word if they don't know very much about the school because they too assume it's an ACU or Baylor type institution. Disciples know what to expect and so we don't really count in this marketing equation.

This is probably too complex of a conversation to have here, but TCU is essentially a secular school now and just like any other college campus you can find Christianity on campus - but Christian is a very confusing word (much more so than the M in SMU) to many that don't have more time to find out about the school other than to see it's name on a football score or see the first page of a brochure. Thus the confusion of the original poster/poll taker.

MAF