• The KillerFrogs

Will the Big East be aggressive or passive in the conference musical chairs?

angelo's frog

Will the football/basketball schools divide keep the Big East from being aggressive if the conference musical chairs starts? Adding three more all sports schools could make keeping the league together difficult because the basketball schedule would be so unwieldy.

The SEC will likely look to the ACC or the Big East to even up the league and go to 14 (I don't see them going to 16 at least for now). In an ideal world the Big East would be able to fend off the ACC if the ACC came calling on one of our members to replace a team like FSU because I think in the long run we will be able to offer them more money than the ACC contract will. However, I don't see us being able to keep WVU in the fold if they got an SEC invite although I think that is unlikely. The ACC has several more attractive candidates for SEC expansion than WVU. So, at least in my opinion, an SEC raid on the ACC might not have any effect on the Big East.

As for the Big 12, I think they stay together for now even if A&M leaves. Add BYU, keep the league at 10 teams and pretend all is right with the world. We will not get an invite to the Big 12 and neither will Louisville or Houston. UT will not agree to go west to the Pac-12 with Tech, OU and OSU either because they would have to give up their precious network. The only thing that could screw this up for UT is if the SEC decides to take A&M and Mizzou which I don't think is likely or if the Pac-12 goes to 16 with OU, OSU, Tech and ??. However, I just don't think the Pac-12 is interested in an expansion to the central time zone unless it includes UT. Keeping the Big 12 together is what is best for UT so I think that's what will happen and the Big 12 will not be a threat to the Big East.

However, the big question is would we be able to get to get some ACC or Big 12 teams to switch to the Big East even if the Big 12 doesn't blow up. The core of the ACC is untouchable. UNC, NC St, Duke, Wake, UVa, Maryland, Ga Tech et al ain't gonna give up rivalries built up over generations for a few million more dollars a year and Va Tech ain't ditching UVa after pulling political stroke to get in. Boston College and Miami are potential targets especially Miami if the ACC loses FSU. Getting either one of the those teams back in the Big East would be a real coup and add a lot of value to a TV contract that is already going to be a lot more lucrative than what the ACC is getting.

Same for the Big 12, we would never get Baylor or Tech to get off Bevo's [ teat ] and if OU is leaving I think it would be for the SEC or the Pac-12. However, Mizzou, Kansas and KSU might be persuaded by $$ and stability to ditch the Bevo-10. The question is will the Big East be aggressive enough to pursue this?

I just hope the leadership of the league understands that they can't be passive or else their league will eventually be picked apart from the outside. My fear is that the basketball schools will veto aggressive expansion. If they try to do that, the football schools need to be ready to call their bluff and threaten to leave. This could be a real opportunity to stabilize the league for a long time and they better not screw things up.

AggieAngst

Talk on the Big East board is that if KANSAS, MISSOURI, BOSTON COLLEGE and KANSAS ST come aboard, the Big East will boot 4 of the basketball only schools. Those 4 that would be booted are:

SETON HALL (dont need em cuz St Johns provides the New York City market already)
DUQUESNE - (Milwaukee is a too small - 35th best TV market in the nation - and Duquesne doesnt deliver that market anyway)
DEPAUL - (The Chicago market is not a Big East market and DePaul doesnt deliver it regardless)
PROVIDENCE - (Big East Hdqts in Providence, however, this team is worst TV market in the league, is not good at hoops, and has to go)

"NEW" BIG EAST (if A&M announces for SEC it is expected that Mizzou and the Kansas schools will join BigEast immediately)

football (12)

EAST DIVISION
UConn
Boston College
Pitt
Rutgers
West Virginia
South Florida

CENTRAL DIVISION
Tcu
Missouri
Kansas
Louisville
Cincinnatti
Kansas St

basketball (16)

EAST DIVISION
UConn
Boston College
Rutgers
Pitt
West Virginia
Georgetown
Villanova
St Johns

CENTRAL DIVISION
Tcu
Notre Dame
Kansas
Missouri
Cinn
Louisville
South Florida
Kansas St

oldscribe

Aggie obviously does not realize that Duquesne is in Pittsburgh rather than Milwaukee. One more reason to ignore many of his posts.

macaroni

I don't think the BB schools break away because I think a 20/12 setup has been the endgame plan all along. The problem is that if the Big12 blows up before the new tv contract then the Big East is still very vulnerable to ACC raiding, IMO.

AggieAngst

Yea riiiiight. One mis-type makes the entire thread invalid and all the talk about this on the BIG EAST board invalid also, just because you say so.

WHAT AN OBTUSE IGNORAMUS.

Wow. Amy other geniuses out there? Yikes !

Aggie obviously does not realize that Duquesne is in Pittsburgh rather than Milwaukee. One more reason to ignore many of his posts.

AggieAngst

ACC payout per team (w ACC deal still having another 10 yrs to run = $ 12 million per team.

BIG EAST probable new payout (in 2 yrs) = $ 18 - $ 20 million per team (and possibly higher if Kansas, Missouri and KSU come aboard).

Tell us all again why a Big East team would go to the ACC just to lose $ 8 to $ 10 million a year ? Especially when it
was just reported that BOSTON COLLEGE feels it has
nothing in common with the ACC and is currently doing
research on a possible Big East move.

Me thinks you listen to way too many grossly uninformed,
casual couch potato fans who constantly amd mindlessly repeat the same thing as you cuz they are totally clueless about Big East TV negotiations.

I don't think the BB schools break away because I think a 20/12 setup has been the endgame plan all along. The problem is that if the Big12 blows up before the new tv contract then the Big East is still very vulnerable to ACC raiding, IMO.

froggy

ACC payout per team (w ACC deal still having another 10 yrs to run = $ 12 million per team.

BIG EAST probable new payout (in 2 yrs) = $ 18 - $ 20 million per team (and possibly higher if Kansas, Missouri and KSU come aboard).

Tell us all again why a Big East team would go to the ACC just to lose $ 8 to $ 10 million a year ? Especially when it

casual couch potato fans who constantly amd mindlessly repeat the same thing as you cuz they are totally clueless about Big East TV negotiations.
where was it reported about boston college, i cant find anything about them saying that

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

13, actually.

Lots of ifs in there. And the number is too high....Big East folks are aiming for $16 million. Not enough to lure anybody from any current AQ conference.

Another one of those internet rumors lacking any basis in fact, other than as Steve Pedersen's 'dream scenario'.

Irony.....

Says the guy who routinely quotes other message board posts as sources.
wacko.gif

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
$11.923 Actually. $155 million a year divided by 13. The ACC has 12 teams and the conference itslef takes an equal share.

Don't think that's true (multiple reports suggests its not), but even if it is, if that's the most inaccurate thing I posted, I'm still way ahead.

mtmedlin

Don't think that's true (multiple reports suggests its not), but even if it is, if that's the most inaccurate thing I posted, I'm still way ahead.

Ya, I was with you on everything else but wanted you to know. It is true. You can read it within their bylaws.

Angst cracks me up. He doesnt get the teams location or names correct and then suggests that Providence is going to get kicked out. So how about we ask a few questions.... like "Where did the last three commisioners of the Big East graduate from?" If you answered Providence...your a winner. Second question "Where are the Big East headquarters?" If you answered Providence...your a winner? Third "Who is a founding member of the Big East conference?" ....um yeah...Providence.

Teams arent going to get kicked out. A split on the other hand is a real possibility. The football schools plus Notre Dame might very well leave and the rest will stay together and probably keep the Big East name. If we can add Kansas, K St. and Missou then we would still have 10 teams that made the NCAA tourney last year. In other words, even with a split, we would still send more teams to the NCAA tourney then anybody else... and I wouldnt be against allowing Villanova and Georgetown to re-join as basketball only. I especially like them since they do have football teams, just not at the FBS level. Id like to see the BE teams consistantly play them. We all schedule a FCS team each year and payout $600K plus. WHy not a conference brethren?

PurplePutt

you forgot about Syracuse, numbnuts.

Yep! If you add four you end up with 13. Would need another. Might as well go for the gusto. 14 is a good number for scheduling. 6 intraconference, 2 interconference, 4 OOC games. When the Big 12-12 craps it pants, one more won't be hard to find.