• The KillerFrogs

Will TCU pass Boise at end of season?

ifrog

Sean (Fort Worth, TX)

Assuming TCU and Utah are both undefeated heading into their game in SLC, does a convincing win by TCU help them pass Boise St. in the rankings? The computers already favor TCU over Boise, but I guess the real question is if a big win over a top 10 team can convince the coaches/harris poll voters.

Edwards (11:37 AM)

If TCU runs the table, I think it should have a solid lead on Boise in the computers. I'm not sure, however, that the voters will drop BSU behind TCU in the polls, as long as the Broncos keep winning every game by 40+ points. Of course, if the gap in the computers is big enough, it might not matter.

Cougar/Frog

We will remain ahead in the computers. We need the humans to realize that beating Utah in SLC is a really big deal and bigger than anything Boise has done.... It would be much easier to jump Boise if Big 12 voters did not have a Big 12 team to support....and if SEC chaos works out.....

gdu

I think we will in the computers, but not in the polls (as long as we both go undefeated). TCU-Boise was about the only game of ours most of the voters watched last year and we blew it. Yes, @Utah is a bigger accomplishment than any BSU would have, but logic isn't voters' strong suit. It just sucks that they hold the Boise game against us and not Oregon.

Cougar/Frog

The last year argument really did not help us last season. Our 2008 bowl win was largely ignored for most of the season and was never cited as the reason we passed Boise. Instead, it was impressive wins over good to great teams, highlighted by ESPN hype related to College Game Day @ BYU and vs. Utah. This season, I think TCU is paying the price of ESPN, as our two ESPN games have been average at best. We struggled and struggled @ Jerry World vs. Oregon State and we were losing in the 2nd half vs. SMU.

Now, all the voters can easier watch our games on Vs. and CBSC if they want, but they don't. We might get some for Air Force, since the only other decent game at that time is OU/Mizzo. Plus there will likely be updates from AFA/TCU during the OU/Mizzo game. If TCU can start fast and hard with a full rocking stadium (ala Utah last season), I expect to get a lot of spillover hype and some rankings help. Especially if start up 28-0 in the 1st half.....

And, of course, if we get Game Day for Utah, it will really, really help, and Bama @ LSU is the other real possibility (let's hope both team lose between now and then)...

I think it will depend on how Va Tech and Nevada do. But as is, I really think the voters will give us a ton of cred with a win over a #7 or 8 Utah. They are suckers for hype and that game would get all kinds of hype. I'd be surprised if we are still behind them. I even wonder if Utah would start to threaten Boise should the Utes beat us. Wins over top 10 teams at the end of the season are gold. That's gold, Jerry, Gold.

joefrog91

I think it will depend on how Va Tech and Nevada do. But as is, I really think the voters will give us a ton of cred with a win over a #7 or 8 Utah. They are suckers for hype and that game would get all kinds of hype. I'd be surprised if we are still behind them. I even wonder if Utah would start to threaten Boise should the Utes beat us. Wins over top 10 teams at the end of the season are gold. That's gold, Jerry, Gold.

bania.jpg

Dogfrog

We are already past Boise in the computers and that gap will widen. If we TCB vs. AFA and Utah, we will pass Boise with the coaches. Harris - who knows? Overall, we are in good shape IMO.

Campus Commons

The College GameDay factor is going to be significant. I have two contacts in Bristol who say that as long as TCU and Utah are undefeated when they meet Nov. 6, ESPN will be there. "They want to make an undefeated TCU a part of the narrative of the season, and this game is the one to do it," one told me.

Endless Purple

It is all about what have you done for me lately. If TCU has big solid wins in November and Boise has a close game, then TCU will have a good shot at jumping them.

Ravenous Ute

Don't forget Utah is at Notre Dame and on NBC the week following so, IF TCU wins :rolleyes: Nov. 6th (*cough cough*) expect Utah to lay down a ISU type beat down on the Irish... expect it when they win Nov 6th too. :biggrin:

Zephreck

Also keep in mind that Nevada which is suppose to be the only truly tough game left for Boise was beat by Hawaii last week. So I think even if they do beat Nevada (which they should) then a win by TCU vs Utah in Utah is much more impressive than what Boise can do. Basically nothing they have left this year will really help their SOS.

fanatical frog

True. But New Mexico and UNLV are way worse than anything Boise has remaining on their schedule. The teams remaining on our schedule have an average Sagarin rank of 83 while the teams remaining on Boise schedule have an average Sagarin rank of 62.

New Mexico and UNLV are killing us. That could change if they both jump up and win a couple of games but I don't like the looks of it right now.

Cougar/Frog

True. But New Mexico and UNLV are way worse than anything Boise has remaining on their schedule. The teams remaining on our schedule have an average Sagarin rank of 83 while the teams remaining on Boise schedule have an average Sagarin rank of 62.

New Mexico and UNLV are killing us. That could change if they both jump up and win a couple of games but I don't like the looks of it right now.

Sagarin exaggerates because he includes all the FCS schools. In the rest of the BCS computers have future Boise opponents LaTech, Utah State, and Idaho all near UNLV and NM. As such, 3 bad teams outweighs 2.

Of course, not to beat a dead horse, but it would not be close at all if we had beat a mid-pack AQ school instead of Tenn Tech.

fanatical frog

Sagarin exaggerates because he includes all the FCS schools. In the rest of the BCS computers have future Boise opponents LaTech, Utah State, and Idaho all near UNLV and NM. As such, 3 bad teams outweighs 2.

Of course, not to beat a dead horse, but it would not be close at all if we had beat a mid-pack AQ school instead of Tenn Tech.

I sure hope you're right with the three vs two argument. Either way it's going to be razor thin.

Agree on Tenn Tech.......that one's killing us and it was a conscious choice .