• The KillerFrogs

Will a$m going to the sec hurt TCU's RECRUITING?

Frogster

"FROGGIES" they say that a@m going to the sec is going to open up texas to the sec. I personalty think texas is already opened up to the NATION---PERIOD. WITH THIS CHANGE HAS IT HURT TCU'S RECUITING? I LIKE YOU FROGGS! Your Buddy7 Robert C. Spencer Class of '71 (TCU QB IN MY DREAMS)ZZZ

2themax

I believe it gives Ags a clear advantage head to head for highly-rated prospects, but overall, I think not much will change. TCU staff always shines with the players they end up with. Most of them have tremendous athletic potential and lots of self discipline. It's the way this staff has always recruited.

BelushiBob

TV. TV. TV. He that consistently plays bowl games after New Years gets the most TV coverage. TV coverage gets the recruits. Grown [Craig James] men fighting to make their school hot and wanted. Thats the stupidity of all this.

AtM was starting to get it done before this and now..... well imagine UT vs Alabama but happening every weekend.

Screaming Flea

I believe it gives Ags a clear advantage head to head for highly-rated prospects, but overall, I think not much will change. TCU staff always shines with the players they end up with. Most of them have tremendous athletic potential and lots of self discipline. It's the way this staff has always recruited.

Best answer

YCBJ Frog

Texas just went from one BCS conference with associated access and 4 BCS schools with direct access, to 3 BCS conferences with associated access and 5 BCS schools with direct access. If SMU or Houston goes to the Big 12, that'll be 6 schools with direct access.

Overall, I think it's at worst a wash, as we will see (and already have) a bump in out recruiting from joining a BCS conference. However, if you look at where we could've been with the state of Texas staying status quo and us going to the Big East, I think that bump in recruiting will be less now.

PurplePainD

I still think people are undervaluing the recruiting advantage of the Big East. Stay clost to home for school, but get to travel to East coast (NY, PA). Maybe I am overrating it, but I am anxious to see how it plays out over the next few years.

West Coast Johnny

A&M strengthens its hand with recruiting the State of Texas. The SEC schools get stronger in Texas as well. But the SEC already wins all the BCS championships, so why would they change their recruiting pattern much if at all? Hypothetically, if the SEC increases its recruiting in Texas, we should increase our recruiting of their territory. We've allready made big inroads into their territory, especially Louisianna & Floriday.

If OU goes to the PAC or SEC, that would mean that their presenece in the state would drop considerably. So our hand against the sooners improves. Nebraska currently recuits Texas well, but that will end soon with them in the Big 10.

The Big losers are the schools that end up without a BCS conference. Baylor's recruiting will be like Rice's next year. A primary recruiting weapon schools use against TCU is our conference affiliation. Lets see how Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State, etc. due against us if they are in C-USA, the MWC or the Big East for that matter.

jstrat

Might have to wait and see realignment play out. If Texas, OU, OSU, and TT go to the Pac I could see A&M getting an advantage. West coast games are notoriously late and the stadiums don't even compare to the SEC.

count_biffula

"FROGGIES" they say that a@m going to the sec is going to open up texas to the sec. I personalty think texas is already opened up to the NATION---PERIOD. WITH THIS CHANGE HAS IT HURT TCU'S RECUITING? I LIKE YOU FROGGS! Your Buddy7 Robert C. Spencer Class of '71 (TCU QB IN MY DREAMS)ZZZ

Absolutely not. I've always thought that pipeline thing was junk. BYU and Utah didnt start getting any more Texas players once we joined the MWC. How will it be an advantage to an SEC team to say to a Texas recruit, "Yeah, come play at Florida, we'll be back in your home state to play A&M every other year for a total of 2 times while you here." The pipeline talk is overrated with nothing to back it up. As far as exposure, well, what fan or high school kid doesn't already know of the SEC or on the SEC school side, who isnt already aware of A&M? It's not like some wall is being knocked down and something new and wondrous is being exposed for the first time. And I dont see it helping A&M all that much, they were in a BCS conference that was easier for recruits families to travel to the games. Now they be playing all across the south.

YCBJ Frog

A&M strengthens its hand with recruiting the State of Texas. The SEC schools get stronger in Texas as well. But the SEC already wins all the BCS championships, so why would they change their recruiting pattern much if at all?

Do you think the SEC schools other than Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and LSU are happy with the past few years and don't want their recruiting to improve? There will be an SEC arms race in Texas with everyone, especially the SEC West, trying to get a piece.

ThisIsOurTime

The Aggies may have an initial advantage in recruiting as they join the SEC but whether this continues will depend on if they can actually win in the SEC. Their track record against the SEC is not a good one and I doubt they can consistently beat teams in the SEC West. Instead, they are looking to do more like Arkansas has done where they have an occasional good season but never really do anything significant. The result will be A&Ms recruiting will be more like Arkansas' where they are not that effective. Let's not forget that the Aggies could not win in the big12 and are now taking a step up each week in competition.

Bottom line: Winning is the thing. If TCU keeps winning, they will win out over time even if they lose a few recruits in the interim. Recruits want to play for winners regardless of the conference. If TCU can show they can keep playing in BCS games that is all that will matter. A&M probably will have a very difficult time making it to one BCS game in the SEC.

count_biffula

It aint the same as SWC w/ Arkansas. Arkansas played played half of the season in Texas every year. SEC players will play in the State of Texas once every two years at best.

And that is a huge thing. Fran started it, and Patterson continues it in recruiting. They walk a kid out onto the turf and say, 'What would make this the best experience for you?" If the kid doesn't say it, they help them with the answer, "That's right, for your family to be here watching you every home game. They don't have to spend a fortune to fly anywhere, all they have to do is drive right up the road to get here." Like I said in an earlier post, how will Texas kids be any more available to an SEC team than they already are? The recruit will be lucky to see playing in Texas twice during their whole career.