• The KillerFrogs

Why not Luper?

flyfishingfrog

I really hate being be that guy, but when it comes to finding a new OC, we're kinda screwed. GP ripping Sonny Cumbie on the sideline is a HORRIBLE look. What OC candidate watches TCU play and thinks "Gee that looks like a lovely place to work." ? Answer: none of them.

What we could get if we decided to look for a new OC today, is someone who is desperate to move up in the world, with 0 other competitive offers. AKA, not really a guy you want to hire.

At this point, the only person to fit that bill might very well be Coach Luper. However, promoting from the inside only exacerbates the problem, we need new blood. We've promoted from within for too long.

Gary is king of the castle, and I don't think Donati has the balls to step in and tell him that if he rips the OC on camera again he's going to fine him, and if he keeps it up he's done. As it sits today, any talented OC wouldn't touch TCU with a 10 foot pole, and who could blame them?
And you know all of this how?

because you are an up and coming OC candidate?

Funny that everyone is so sure of their view when GP has never had an OC offer turned down yet while our head coach

4th. down

The fact there has been VERY little interest in his staff over 19 years is very telling .

"The fact there has been VERY little interest in his staff over 19 years is very telling ."

Well, here we are at the very crux of the matter IMO. Realistically now, how many coaches presently on staff would be a OC, DC, and or position coach for OU, Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, etc?

I don't see it but maybe that's just me. No specific knowledge of this, but if you confront GP in coaches meetings repeatedly, you won't be here long and to me, that's part of the problem, or actually is the problem.

H0RNEDFR0G

And you know all of this how?

because you are an up and coming OC candidate?

Funny that everyone is so sure of their view when GP has never had an OC offer turned down yet while our head coach

I don't have to be an up and coming OC to know that nobody wants to be berated by their boss on national TV.

flyfishingfrog

I don't have to be an up and coming OC to know that nobody wants to be berated by their boss on national TV.
just because no one would like getting yelled at does not in any way mean there will not be a line of guys eminently qualified and wanting the job

Gary has been the exact same for the almost 20 years he has been here - and the last time he needed an OC, not only did he hire a guy that had ZERO connection to the program - but he hired TWO including one that played for one of our biggest rivals.

Guys who want the big stage can handle the adversity that comes with it - they aren't snowflakes like evidently a large portion of this board.

fff91

As for the sideline ranting, it definitely seems worse this year and GP has offered at least three looks this year that seem worse than normal. Throwing Sonny out there at the press cofnerence and then offering some lame coverup a few days later was a terrible look, then the Niang situation where we threw the kid under the bus was a bad and out of touch look, then the cherry on the sundae was him attacking Cumbie on the sideline. It was way over the line.

And if he is concerned about his legacy, no one gives a crap about defensive stats. There is only one stat that will cement his legacy and that is wins. And right now his trend seems to be 500 in conference.

He is clearly feeling the heat, whether it is self-imposed or just competitive desperation, but berating people like that isn't the answer.

Horny4TCU

GP to Cumbie...

200.webp