• The KillerFrogs

Why doesnt our defense force turnovers anymore?

Eight

Some things I haven’t seen discussed regarding our defense:

We do a terrible job disguising our rushes, blitzes, coverage zone versus man to man. We are very predictable.

We need to mix up our defensive coverages and confuse qb,s. We need to blitz more, but not give it away pre snap. We used to zone blitz qb would throw to receiver when cb blitzes and our safety rolls up and we got pick 6.

We can’t get off blocks like we used to. Holding in big 12 is an epidemic so we have to keep the olinemans hands off us or we are stuck like glue.

Gp’s defense ends have always brought the pressure and were almost unblockable. We aren’t getting that rush now: Could be talent, but for sure offenses are getting rid of the ball quicker than ever.

We don’t do a good job of knocking down passess. Most of our d is shorter and faster. We could use some height and get our hands up coaching.

We need to run press man coverage more and get pass rush. Press man can disrupt timing of plays. We never seem to jam receivers tight ends rb’s coming out of backfield.

We need to bring one more player than the offense has a blocker and hit the qb hard even if they complete the passes. Qbs hate getting hit.

in regards to the de's in the 4-man front they are lined up on the outside shoulder of the tackle with a bit of room to move as opposed to lining head up where the tackle can immediately engage them

not sure where you get the shorter defensive backs as at safety vernon and trevon are well over 6', markell is 6', gaines was over 6', gladney is 6' and the only smaller defensive backs that played regularly are niko, ridwan, and lewis.

in regards to press coverage gladney and lewis really haven't been the issue this year. the problem goes back to teams isolating the safeties and linebackers and some physical mismatches

on pressure, if frogs are rushing 3 it isn't going to happen and they seemed content to drop the 8. part of that is drawing it up and teaching. won't go there as that horse has long been beaten to dust

Eight

Yes, we have, but I've always thought that, over time, a QB running all over the place eventually takes its toll on the QB. Think of him as a RB that never gets to come off the field. By the end of the game that guy would be completely exhausted. Don't see why a QB would be any different. Keep pressuring a QB and making him elude defenders and run for his life (and yes, sometimes a first down) and eventually he'll start making mistakes that really tired players make.

I just hate letting a guy stand back there forever looking for receivers. No defense I've ever seen worth a crap doesn't make getting after the QB with relentless pressure priority #1.

don't disagree, but gary makes all the decisions on the defense and i think he really needs someone on that staff who could and would stand up and say this isn't working

jake102

markell, vernon, ridwan are all safeties who have been in the system at least 3 years. two have been starters

dunham and evans are linebackers who have been in the sytem at least 4 years.

Simmons is filling in for Small, he was 3rd team to start the season at WS. Scott is 2nd team. Van Zandt and Moehrig-Woodard are soph/freshman.

Scott hasn't turned into the safety I thought he would at this point. But Small, Ridwan and Gaines is a lot different than Simmons, Ridwan and Moehrig-Woodard.

Summers is a pass coverage liability playing next to Wallow (sophomore) who is often in the wrong place. And now that we had to move Wallow to safety and Summers is hurt we have guys playing who have no business taking full time snaps. Evans, Dunham and Wilson all haven't panned out, and I don't think it's because the system is too difficult.

I have no idea who plays LB next year. I'd guess Wallow and Wilson. It's going to be rough

Eight

Simmons is filling in for Small, he was 3rd team to start the season at WS. Scott is 2nd team. Van Zandt and Moehrig-Woodard are soph/freshman.

Scott hasn't turned into the safety I thought he would at this point. But Small, Ridwan and Gaines is a lot different than Simmons, Ridwan and Moehrig-Woodard.

Summers is a pass coverage liability playing next to Wallow (sophomore) who is often in the wrong place. And now that we had to move Wallow to safety and Summers is hurt we have guys playing who have no business taking full time snaps. Evans, Dunham and Wilson all haven't panned out, and I don't think it's because the system is too difficult.

I have no idea who plays LB next year. I'd guess Wallow and Wilson. It's going to be rough

markell was the starter at the end of last year and came out of spring as the starter.

agree they miss niko lining things up, but again if you have a guy who has been in your system for 3 years and can't line people up there is something wrong with either the system or who is teaching that position.

i agree on ty's issues in pass coverage, but he can at least tackle in space and knows where he is supposed to be in coverage.

wallow looks lost in coverage and out of control, evans looks lost in coverage, and dunham looks a bit like ty.

funny thing is the best the linebackers looked in the past was when they had an experienced coach. he left for mizzou, gary insert a ga, and now one of his members of the gary pack. i have thought for some time the ga coaching the position hurt in recruiting and development and not thrilled with the current situation

corners have played solid this year, younger safeties have shown promise, linebacker is a mess, and line has struggled

Wexahu

markell was the starter at the end of last year and came out of spring as the starter.

agree they miss niko lining things up, but again if you have a guy who has been in your system for 3 years and can't line people up there is something wrong with either the system or who is teaching that position.

i agree on ty's issues in pass coverage, but he can at least tackle in space and knows where he is supposed to be in coverage.

wallow looks lost in coverage and out of control, evans looks lost in coverage, and dunham looks a bit like ty.

funny thing is the best the linebackers looked in the past was when they had an experienced coach. he left for mizzou, gary insert a ga, and now one of his members of the gary pack. i have thought for some time the ga coaching the position hurt in recruiting and development and not thrilled with the current situation

corners have played solid this year, younger safeties have shown promise, linebacker is a mess, and line has struggled

Which kind of goes back to your original point, this defense is probably unnecessarily complicated. Too many guys thinking and trying to process a [ Finebaum ]load of information instead of just seeing the ball and attacking, and too many of those guys trying to do that playing out of position. We were at our best when it was clear who was a linebacker and who was a safety (there was no doubt that Marcus Mallet and Paul Dawson were playing LB and only LB). Now we've got a bunch of guys like Summers, Wallow, Ridwan and Evans who are just kind of playing wherever they are needed.

PO Frog

Yes, we have, but I've always thought that, over time, a QB running all over the place eventually takes its toll on the QB. Think of him as a RB that never gets to come off the field. By the end of the game that guy would be completely exhausted. Don't see why a QB would be any different. Keep pressuring a QB and making him elude defenders and run for his life (and yes, sometimes a first down) and eventually he'll start making mistakes that really tired players make.

I just hate letting a guy stand back there forever looking for receivers. No defense I've ever seen worth a crap doesn't make getting after the QB with relentless pressure priority #1.
I agree with this and almost laugh at the spy concept when you're playing someone like Kyler Murray. There isn't a LB in college football that is doing any good "spying" on Murray and making a tackle on him in the open field. The whole concept is ridiculous. Better off sending the house and hoping he jukes the wrong way into another DL. Or just sit back in a soft zone and have everyone keep their eyes on the QB. Whatever we've done so far ain't stopping them.

TX_Krötenechse

Something that doesn’t get discussed enough is that we have been much slower getting defensive calls onto the field since Bumpas left. I don’t think GP really trusts Glasgow to call plays for the line like Bumpas did, so seems like he’s doing it all. To me, that’s been responsible for more of our struggles to get lined up than the system being too complicated. Add to that losing Small and Summers, who were our “quarterbacks” of the defense, and things will get confused, especially for younger players.

I really truly hope we can get Cross back as LB coach and co-DC. He did a great job with our linebackers before, and while I think Glasgow is a good DC, he isn’t as good a linebacker coach.

Banogu is a good player. He can be a difference maker, but name one guy in the back 7 that has made an impact play or that other teams would actually fear. There aren’t any without Gaines. We have a bunch of solid players, but there aren’t any game changers.
Serious question: Has the back 7 been the same group of guys two games in a row? Continuity has a great deal to do with the level of play we have seen. I think there is also an element of luck or chance involved in turnovers

Limey Frog

What drastic measures can you take to prevent turnovers? Honest question.

A few here and there will happen. Dead last in the nation says that you have some poor coaching. Some of these offensive coaches aren't in their first rodeo when it comes to presiding over units that seem utterly unprepared.

Eight

Serious question: Has the back 7 been the same group of guys two games in a row? Continuity has a great deal to do with the level of play we have seen. I think there is also an element of luck or chance involved in turnovers

first 4 games the same 5 guys started

next 2 games the same set of 5 started (substituting simmons for small)

same 2 corners have started every game, ridwan has started every game, and only one safety has started this year and didn't have any experience and that is trevon

Wexahu

On virtually every passing down (and even most non passing downs) I’d rush one LB or Safety, from different places all game long. It’s only one extra guy so you’re not leaving yourself that exposed but one extra rusher from an unknown spot can disrupt so much. And we’re simply not going to generate many turnovers unless we start disrupting things. I don’t want to see both DEs get smothered by double teams at the snap and then rely on a slow run stuffing NT to beat the Center to get to the QB. Makes it way too comfortable for them.

Latest posts