• The KillerFrogs

Which TCU NY6/BCS win will ultimately stand as the most memorable?

Which of the 3 NY6/BCS wins do you think will stand as most memorable?

• 2022 Fiesta Bowl

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • 2014 Peach Bowl

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • 2011 Rose Bowl

Votes: 47 60.3%

• Total voters
The conclusion of the 2023 CFB season in a lot of ways feels like the informal "death" of the NY6/BCS bowl significance, as everything is now centered upon the 12-team playoff. With that, TCU will have had 3 notable wins during the BCS/NY6 era (2011 Rose Bowl, 2014 Peach Bowl, 2022 Fiesta Bowl).

I wanted to gauge the forum on which bowl you think will end up being the most memorable for TCU moving forward. To be clear, I am speaking from the perspective of the general College Football fan, as opposed to just TCU fanbase. To add my two cents, I would currently rank them as follows:
  • #1 2022 Fiesta Bowl:I am actually surprised I am putting this as #1, but landed as this being the most memorable considering all the facts/circumstances. In evaluating importance/lasting significance, I believe the Fiesta Bowl win stand out as our signature win:
    • We played and beat a historical blue blood (Michigan) in an era where they went 39-3 with 3 consecutive CFP appearances. The only 2 teams to beat Michigan were a primary rival (MSU) and Georgia (self-explanatory). This point is only amplified if Michigan wins it all this year.
    • This represents the first time in modern history where TCU was in a pool with a legitimate shot to win a national title; this was not the case for #2 and #3 below. In line with this, we received more national coverage and hype entering into the game.
    • TCU will forever be the first Texas & Big 12 team to have won a CFP game, and one of the first 7 schools to make the NCG game during the playoff era. These stats will make decent TV soundbites for the forseeable future.
  • #2 2011 Rose Bowl: In a lot of ways, I feel uneasy not putting this at #1. After all, this was the program's official "I'm here" moment, completing a revival story probably dating back to the 90s sun bowl victory. We unseated a P5 champion Wisconsin team, while also doing it at the nation's premier college football venue. Though this is a beloved bowl game for our fanbase, I feel when considering the average CFB fan, it has already begun to get lost in the shuffle of all G5 representatives during the BCS/NY6 era. Since our win, other G5 programs (Houston, UCF) also won NY6 games over respectable P5 opponents. Albeit not at the rose bowl.
  • #3 2014 Peach Bowl: Funny enough, this is actually my favorite of the 3 bowl listed here. I personally consider the 2014 team to have had the best chance to actually win the NCG of the 3 teams here (feel free to blast me on this opinion). However, between the early morning kickoff and sour taste from the CFB snub, I also think this to be a mostly forgettable bowl victory to the average CFB fan.

KTown Frog

Rose Bowl will always be #1 for me. The majesty of the stadium, the game, the outcome, finishing undefeated. I thought LA last year had the chance to match that or surpass but no avail (for obvious reasons). I think a playoff run with a championship might change it but the feeling and emotion of that day will be hard to match.

Limey Frog

“Memorable” is a weird, inherently subjective metric.
This is true. I remember the Rose Bowl most because a) I was there, and b) I look at pictures of it framed on my office wall every day as I'm at my desk.

But the answer is, objectively, the Rose Bowl. You can't prove a historical counter-factual, but there's a good chance we don't get into the Big 12 without the achievements of those two Andy Dalton-led teams from '09 & '10.

ShreveFrog

In my mind, Rose is the most memorable. It marked a crowning achievement in a rebuild from the basement of college football, against a very good BiG co-champ that had knocked off #1 Ohio State, even though we were still a non-BCS team built with a bunch of 3-stars.
Plus it happened in the most glorious football setting that was always my favorite bowl to watch on tv. I will never forget emerging from the tunnel into the sunshine and seeing my TCU Frogs' colors on that field, and the San Gabriels in the distance. A dream come true. It may never get better than that.

froginmn

Rose, and it's not close.

We were an interloper on the national stage, expected to lose (yes I know we were favored but many didn't believe). I think many WANTED us to win but thought we'd get run over.

The odds of us getting to the Rose Bowl were extremely long, We were a relative unknown. I think that just the fact of being a non BCS school makes that the most memorable to a typical fan.

As for me I was lucky enough to be at all three (and the 2010 Fiesta); the Rose was the most beautiful for many reasons. I'm planning to go to Pasadena for MN vs. UCLA in October and will get the same chills.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm with Shreve. The Rose Bowl was the crowning moment, the end of the long wandering through the wilderness after being left for dead. Victory on that stage brought us National respect, and led to inclusion in the BIGXII, which in turn propelled us to what should have been a place in the first Playoff, and finally a place in last year's Playoff. It was a moment of transition that will never be forgotten.

The moment that still captures, for me at least, the grandeur and weight of the day was the TCU Band playing 'Texas, Our Texas" on the field pre-game. All my life I had heard the UT Band, or the A&M Band performing this Texan Anthem as they were representing Texas in the biggest game of the Bowl Season. Hearing the song it finally hit me that, "Oh! It's us! Today it is us!"

...And the Frogs did not disappoint.

froginmn

In my mind, Rose is the most memorable. It marked a crowning achievement in a rebuild from the basement of college football, against a very good BiG co-champ that had knocked off #1 Ohio State, even though we were still a non-BCS team built with a bunch of 3-stars.
Plus it happened in the most glorious football setting that was always my favorite bowl to watch on tv. I will never forget emerging from the tunnel into the sunshine and seeing my TCU Frogs' colors on that field, and the San Gabriels in the distance. A dream come true. It may never get better than that.
Yep, perfect post Shreve!

Red, purple, green (grass), blue (skies), mountains. All of that hits you after a dark tunnel about 100 feet long.

The parade before, the golf course you park on, even the darkness sneaking up on you while at the game.

That was a beautiful dream and I was fortunate to have my wife and both kids with me. I said at the time that it will never get better; I stand by that.

Bizarro Frog

I have been lucky enough to attend all 3 plus the 2009 Fiesta Bowl and the game against a dynasty team while the stadium flooded in a bone chilling west coast monsoon. They were all significant for different reasons. As disappointing as the loss to Boise was it was part of the motivation for a perfect record and the magical Rose Bowl victory. The Fiesta Bowl victory over Michigan was the craziest and most thrilling TCU game I have ever attended.

The 2014 Peach Bowl victory over Ole Miss brings me happiness and frustration still to this day. Ole Miss was way overmatched and the game was over minutes after it started. Normally that would be a great thing but we should have been in the Rose Bowl destroying Oregon then whoever we played in the National Title Game. I also had no animosity towards Ole Miss who like the Frogs had been wondering the wilderness for decades. It did not help that my seats were next to a really great Ole Miss family that was celebrating the life of their father who had recently passed and played for the Rebels. They were so nice and just happy for Ole Miss to be there. When the Frogs went up 14-0 and it was evident Ole Miss would struggle to get a 1st down, I started to feel really bad for them so I made decision. I told them I feared the game was over and they were the unlucky victim of playing the best team in the nation who was really pissed off. I thanked them for their hospitality, wished them the best, and walked off to celebrate the game from another location.

Limp Lizard

In importance it has to be the Fiesta Bowl because it was a playoff win back when there were only 4 teams in the playoff. Also the first Texas team to play in the playoff and (so far) the only Texas or B12 team to win a playoff game. And the only Texas team to win a game in the 4-team playoff, forever.

However, to have been there, as a fan experience, the Rose Bowl. Granddaddy of them all. The whole week was great. Pep rally at the Staples Center. Hotel room at the same block as Grauman's Theater and center where they hold the academy awards, attending the Parade of Roses, great NYE party at the hotel, and getting up close to the floats the day after the parade and game. And of course the game with its dramatic ending with a Frog win. Best bowl trip ever (worst ever was to Shreveport in 1994)!

Peach Bowl helped cement TCU as a good program in the national perspective.

Endless Purple

For me, the Rose was a final game leading to an undefeated season. Should have at least earned a split title with cheating Auburn.

The Fiesta was a great win, but followed by a loss the next week. A little tarnish. Yes, first playoff win for Texas school, but Rose was biggest win for a G5 team.

Peach was a great game, that showed who should have been given a chance at a title, but it will only matter to TCU fans.

Zubaz

Peach Bowl was fun but ultimately kinda meaningless. We got a consolation prize and then gave the Rebs their worst day in Atlanta since Sherman. It was nice to see and cathartic, but didn't really do much at the end of the day. Plus....for whatever reason I've always considered the Peach Bowl / Chick Fil-A Bowl to be the weakest of the NY6 bowl games.

Rose Bowl is the Rose Bowl, it's the single most iconic bowl game there is, it capped off an undefeated season, it set the stage for TCU's advancement to a power conference...but it still was a consolation game at the end of the day.

The 2022 Fiesta Bowl has to be the answer. It put us in line to play for the honest to goodness National Championship game, and a chance to win the actual National title for the first time in nearly 100 years.

NORMLFROG

Peach Bowl was fun but ultimately kinda meaningless. We got a consolation prize and then gave the Rebs their worst day in Atlanta since Sherman.

orson welles applause GIF

NF