• The KillerFrogs

Which BIG12 addition are you most likely to visit?

CO and Utah are my favorite destinations. Phoenix is third I guess. UH is convenient but those days when I'm in the mood to get robbed are few and far between so we'll see. Cincy isn't a terrible town.

FrogPreacher

Already visited Colorado. Will be out of the country for Houston this year.

Next up
1) Provo or SLC in 2024?
2) Cincy in 2024? - combine with a pro game and possibly the pro football Hall of Fame.

Existing schools - Have never been to Tech. Going this year and bringing my hard hat.
Cincy is quite a distance from where the Pro Football Hall of Fame is. Not seeking to be pedantic, just sayin'

Virginia Frog

If you ever hit UCF, you can skip Disney and go to Cocoa Beach, Ron Jons Surf Shop, and Kennedy Space Center, about an hour east of Orlando.
You could pair it with a cruise out of Port Canaveral to the east or Tampa to the west. There are some 3 weekend day (booze cruises) and 4 day mid-week sailings - or even week-long ones (No, No to CARNIVAL or MSC!)

Last edited:
Moab is about 4 hours from Salt Lake City. Worth the visit though. Arches and Canyonlands accessible from there, along with the famous Hell’s Revenge off-road trail. Jaw-dropping scenery.
A nice adobe house in the desert south of Moab near Mt. Peale might appeal to me someday. Yes, Arches and the often underrated Canyonlands National Park are in your backyard. Then Capitol Reef, Zion and Bryce to the west. Southern Utah rocks, ha. The kicker, drive three hours southeast and be in the most beautiful of the Colorado mountains, the San Juan, and its towns of Ouray, Telluride and Silverton.

The best of the U.S. desert rock landscapes along with some of the best mountain landscapes. Where else can you have both?

Grand Junction, CO is only a one and 3/4 hour drive from Moab if you need a bigger city for retail and healthcare. It is another booming western city that is now 65k. Darn people continue to flock to the west, jeepers.

Last edited:

puckster59

Disney, Universal are extreme money pits (admissions, overpriced food, ridiculous parking fees, they have done some top-flight industrial engineering studies to get you to part with your money on a quantum scale!). caveat emptor is the word of the day. (I did multiple days at Universal this past Feb so I know this firsthand.)
I'm way past the Disney/amusement park stage of life. And yeah ... no desire to throw away that kind of money. I'd personally rather spend it at a craps table.

froginmn

UU and BYU trips were fun, and Colorado is always attractive for me.

Just went to Arizona in February, and UH is just a half hour away.

At the age of 74, road trips are not as easy as they once were.

Go Frogs!
I still love the fact that Frog DJ is in his seventies. Although, Johnny Fever would be in his eighties now...

200w.webp

You could pair it with a cruise out of Port Canaveral to the east or Tampa to the west. There are some 3 weekend day (booze cruises) and 4 day mid-week sailings - or even week-long ones (No, No to CARNIVAL or MSC!)
Beaches? #1 in the world only hour and half from Orlando. Go to Siesta key in Sarasota, stay in the village and walk, ride bikes, golf cart everywhere. Lots of stuff to do for all ages, boats, beaches, arts, museums, and Sarasota relatively ez to drive around compared to Fl's other beach cities.

Virginia Frog

Beaches? #1 in the world only hour and half from Orlando. Go to Siesta key in Sarasota, stay in the village and walk, ride bikes, golf cart everywhere. Lots of stuff to do for all ages, boats, beaches, arts, museums, and Sarasota relatively ez to drive around compared to Fl's other beach cities.
Been there and you're right. The sand has a quartz base: WIki: "Unlike beaches elsewhere that are made up mostly of pulverized coral, Siesta Beach's sand is 99% quartz, most of which comes from the Appalachian Mountains."

The result is no burnt feet!

I was there once the day after Labor Day and the crowds were gone. Really there was just about nobody there. It was spooky/eerie.

Just north of Siesta is Anna Maria Island. It's a bit of a throwback to the "old" Florida of the '50s & '60s before major commercialization. Very laid back and quite chill.

Outback Frog

Give me the mountain destinations over all the rest, especially the Wasatch. Used to recruit at both BYU and Utah and based out of Salt Lake. Not a bad little city and found some pretty good places to eat and drink. After all, they hosted the Winter Olympics. Haven't been to Boulder, but been to Denver a number of times and had a great time, except for the time I got food sickness.

westoverhillbilly

Last summer, wife and I did an 8,000 mile road trip and went to one of the top rated chili parlors in a terrible part of Cincinnati- Camp Washington Chili and it's very simple and quite good- reminded me of coney island locations in northeast. However, while there. we were told by the staff to hit the floor as a shooting was occurring out in the parking lot. After a couple of minutes, the police arrived and we finished our meal, which the restaurant comped so we got a chocolate sundae. We found the other parts of Cincy to be cool and went to the U of C stadium which is in a natural bowl.