• The KillerFrogs

Where is the game thread?

robbroyy

Let’s be honest, Robinson and Miller are really good guys if we were still in the MWC which was a very good league. But they make a lot of mistakes that get you beat in Big 12. Robinson hasn’t been the same since the first KU game. Miller is very streaky. He can go on runs like he did with those 5 straight points and then he steps out of bounds 3 times and picks up careless fouls like end of first half.

Bane and Noi are the only 2 players on the team right now that are consistently Big 12 caliber. Samuel will be good and will help when Barlow can back him up so you can play with centers at the 5 spot and not 3/4 guys.

DickBumpastache

I know they aren't perfect -- far from it in fact -- but if anything, this game highlighted how screwed we are without this year's seniors...

- K. Davis: Might as well have been on a milk carton again. 2-8, 4 TO, 4 fouls in 24 minutes. Who else is expecting Farabello to play 35+ mins as a true freshman?

- With Miller gone next year I guess we're expecting Barlow to play 30+ mins? Samuel commits about 8 fouls per 40 minutes. I honestly wonder what the plan is for the frontcourt next year. We don't have anyone committed as of right now.

OmniscienceFrog

I know they aren't perfect -- far from it in fact -- but if anything, this game highlighted how screwed we are without this year's seniors...

- K. Davis: Might as well have been on a milk carton again. 2-8, 4 TO, 4 fouls in 24 minutes. Who else is expecting Farabello to play 35+ mins as a true freshman?

- With Miller gone next year I guess we're expecting Barlow to play 30+ mins? Samuel commits about 8 fouls per 40 minutes. I honestly wonder what the plan is for the frontcourt next year. We don't have anyone committed as of right now.
Have to hope they can find a decent grad transfer PF or have much better results from a JUCO transfer big man than they had with this years attempt at one.

Eight

a few people during the game referenced the cheez-it-bowl, but for me if you are looking for a football equivalent it was the tech game.

on paper, frogs had some solid numbers offensively, but watching the game the offense just continued to find ways to crap on themselves and that got compounded by a couple of key defensive breakdowns.

Eight

So you were saying that this was a poorly coached team back when we were beating everyone by 30 and scoring 80+ every night?

And there have been several times when Patterson has dealt with personnel shortages and its significantly hurt the performance. 2015 probably would've been a losing season if not for having one of the most dynamic offenses in college football.

We have a senior PG who missed 7 FT's, was 0-4 from 3, had 5 TO's and defensively saw the opposing PG score 22 points over his average. I'm just not sure how much of that to pin on the coaches.

country i like how positive you stay about the school's programs but i know of at least one person who expressed concern about the team being overly dependent on 3's, not pounding the ball inside, not taking care of the ball, and certain players dominating the clock by dribbling 22 feet from the basket because that was me.

not that i am very smart and goodness knows i don't understand the logic of "how the game is played today" but those concerns have been there from the start.

jaylen did provide the most consistent 3 point threat and he took care of the ball. the biggest thing to me is simply the ball in the offense moved differently when he was on the floor. noi wasn't always playing when jaylen was early in the season so it simply wasn't a matter of having more shooters around the arc.

as for the stretch you are referring i guess to the stretch when tcu beat indiana state twice, bucknell, usc, charoltte, and the two directional michigan schools. usc is the biggest win, but that isn't a string of quality opponents and that was raised early in the year as well.

Last edited:

froginmn

One other observation: the Frogs really are the cure-all to a sizable losing streak this year in the B12. That’s now, what, 3 straight games lost against teams with at least a 5 game losing streak coming into the game (OU, OSU, and WVU)?

Uncanny.
#slumpbuster

Don't actually drop that tag on Twitter

Eight

one of the biggest concerns i have is the number of players gone from dixon's first 3 recruiting classes for no other reasons that this roster has significant holes in it.

jaylen fisher - gone
josh parrish - gone
desmond bane - multi-year starter
kouat noi - multi-year starter

kevin samulel - starter
rj nemhard- reserve
shawn olden - gone
lat mayan - reserve
andre pierce - never made it to campus
angus macwilliams - gone

kaden archie - gone
kendric davis - reserve
yuat alok - gone
russell barlow - reserve

if you go back and compare with the other big 12 teams in those 3 classes outside of texas and kansas the frogs on paper are in the top 1/3 in terms of recruiting rankings in the big 12.

the problem is half of the 14 players signed aren't in the program any more. regardless of the reasons, regardless of whether it was injury, someone being stupid, someone deciding to go play in europe, or whatever legit reason a player gone is a missed chance to fill the roster and here is what you have coming back

desmond bane
kouat noi
kevin samuel

rj nemhard
lat mayan
kendric davis
russell barlow

adding to that are 3 very talented players in fuller, smith and farbello. i don't know if farbello can replace alex, but i would also like to see an offense that isn't dependent on the pick and roll 22 foot from the basket

they also have real issues inside. you have a project who has flashed potential in samuel, a project in barlow, and a player in alok who missed all of 2018 with and injury and struggled all this year before shutting it down with just 17 games and 134 minutes played.

again, regardless of the why's people aren't on the roster you simply can not miss on half your signees and not replace them and the frogs have to get help inside who can play right away and they have some young guys who have to get better faster.

jake102

We had 3 chances to take the last shot and win the game and we only got 1 shot attempt... Robinson shooting a baseline fade away. Not sure how we are in that situation so many times and can't come up with a way to get a decent look... I guess any look at this point.

It's not just an end of game situation (although we seem to almost always turn it over/not get a shot off), it happens all game. We will have a good look at a shot with 20 seconds left on the play clock and instead of taking it, we will dribble around, pass it and end up with a very contested layup with 3 seconds left, a turnover or ARob forcing something. I simply don't understand what in our offense tells us to pass up a good look early in the shot clock in favor of running it down.

jake102

Let’s be honest, Robinson and Miller are really good guys if we were still in the MWC which was a very good league. But they make a lot of mistakes that get you beat in Big 12. Robinson hasn’t been the same since the first KU game. Miller is very streaky. He can go on runs like he did with those 5 straight points and then he steps out of bounds 3 times and picks up careless fouls like end of first half.

Bane and Noi are the only 2 players on the team right now that are consistently Big 12 caliber. Samuel will be good and will help when Barlow can back him up so you can play with centers at the 5 spot and not 3/4 guys.

Spot on. Miller frustrates me to no end. The ups and downs are so severe, with way too many downs. Stepping out of bounds in a situation like that is just remarkable. I mean of all the things you didn't want to do there, turning the ball over in less than a second was like the worst. It's like when SRobinson threw that INT against UT this season.... you just can't understand what is happening and how a mistake like that can be made. He tries so hard but just has never caught up to the speed of the game.

Wexahu

Spot on. Miller frustrates me to no end. The ups and downs are so severe, with way too many downs. Stepping out of bounds in a situation like that is just remarkable. I mean of all the things you didn't want to do there, turning the ball over in less than a second was like the worst. It's like when SRobinson threw that INT against UT this season.... you just can't understand what is happening and how a mistake like that can be made. He tries so hard but just has never caught up to the speed of the game.

There are guys that makes difficult things look easy. He's the opposite of that. Even something as simple as shooting a free throw, he's got so many body parts moving in different directions before the release that even that looks like a major struggle sometimes.

Eight

It's not just an end of game situation (although we seem to almost always turn it over/not get a shot off), it happens all game. We will have a good look at a shot with 20 seconds left on the play clock and instead of taking it, we will dribble around, pass it and end up with a very contested layup with 3 seconds left, a turnover or ARob forcing something. I simply don't understand what in our offense tells us to pass up a good look early in the shot clock in favor of running it down.

i am by no means an expert, never coached at this level, and don't even have a play station so i really have no credibility.

did have a hunch and looked up some numbers on the frogs taking care of the ball and creating offense.

6 games the frogs have won in the big 12 their assist/turnover numbers are 106 assists to 77 turnovers. now a 1.38:1 ratio won't put you at steve nash level, but look at the numbers in the big 12 games the frogs lost

9 lost games, 104 assists to 136 turnovers or a ratio of 0.76:1. again, never coached at this level, but pretty confident the bigger number in that ratio is supposed to reflect assists.

took those numbers and looked at the percentage of assists to field goals scored. in the 6 games the frogs won 64% of the field goals scored came off an accredited assist. the lowest percentage was 54% in the win over texas.

in the nine losses there was only 1 game were the frogs had a percentage higher than 50% and that was the second ou loss at 61%. in the 9 total losses only 46% of the field goals scored came from an accredited assist.

the other interesting thing about this data set is fisher, archie, alok, and macwilliams were off the team before the frogs entered conference play so there was no significant change in players on the court other than lat who only played more than 10 minutes in 2 big 12 games. a win to wvu and a loss to ou.

Latest posts