• The KillerFrogs

Where Does Gary Rank?

JAB331

Where would you rank Gary as far as Big 12 coaches? For me, it's bottom half. Behind UT, OU, Iowa St, Baylor, K St., And WVU.

What about for Texas coaches? Again, bottom half behind UT, SMU, A&M and Baylor.

Ok, so maybe we get to a bowl. It's a far cry from where we used to be, competing in the top 25, heck top 10 and top 5 most years. Those days are waaaay behind us. Now we just hope we're not a #CheeseINT style laughing stock and can put a mediocre quality product together.

He's a top ten paid coach!

It's very obvious HCGP is in decline. His yelling, his superstitions about changing shirts at half to improve his luck..? It's not bad luck for him, it good data for the other team. He's predictable, and his "coach from the gut approach' is obsolete.

I get it, he's got a contract. Maybe we get to a bowl this year, maybe next. But if we move on to another coach, that's probably the down side. It's time for succession planning for the inevitable, when Gary "retires" next year and we finally get a new head coach who can start to move this program forward.

LVH

Depends on the criteria

Ranking him behind Aranda and Neil Brown based on career accomplishments is scheissing retarded.

Right now? I'd still put him above Aranda and Neal Brown. What exactly have those 2 done in their stints at their current schools?

JAB331

Certainly no longer in the defensive genius category....
Not only that, but he's not inspiring the other coaches, and they are not inspiring the players. I'm all for loyalty, but when it brings out the best in people, not when it breeds complacency. When the later happens, something is wrong and a changes at the top need to be made.

I thought it was kind cool that TCU is being loyal - Gary is the second longest tenured coach in college football,l. But the coach who has the longest tenure? He has his team in the top 10 and has steadily gotten better every season. Us? Our loyalty has bred complacency, and it's trickled down to every part of this program.

JAB331

This is a stupid string. TCU is the most winningest ol legs football team in Texas. Please give us your football coaching credentials before giving us your truly objective opinions of Coach P as a coach. Ridiculous.
See, this is part of the problem, blind and unobjective loyalty.

You don't need coaching credentials to see that we're paying for a top 10 coach and his staff, and getting a mediocre product on the field.

I do agree though, the question sets this up as ranking his career, which is one of the best, but he's been in obvious decline since the Alamo bowl versus Oregon in 2015-2016 season. That was the last high point for this program, and you don't need coaching credentials to see that either, just six years of data. And doesn't that coincide directly with when he got "tenured"?

The better question though might be who in a P5 conference would trade us for Patterson? And I'd say maybe KU? Indiana?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Where would you rank Gary as far as Big 12 coaches? For me, it's bottom half. Behind UT, OU, Iowa St, Baylor, K St., And WVU.

What about for Texas coaches? Again, bottom half behind UT, SMU, A&M and Baylor.

Ok, so maybe we get to a bowl. It's a far cry from where we used to be, competing in the top 25, heck top 10 and top 5 most years. Those days are waaaay behind us. Now we just hope we're not a #CheeseINT style laughing stock and can put a mediocre quality product together.

He's a top ten paid coach!

It's very obvious HCGP is in decline. His yelling, his superstitions about changing shirts at half to improve his luck..? It's not bad luck for him, it good data for the other team. He's predictable, and his "coach from the gut approach' is obsolete.

I get it, he's got a contract. Maybe we get to a bowl this year, maybe next. But if we move on to another coach, that's probably the down side. It's time for succession planning for the inevitable, when Gary "retires" next year and we finally get a new head coach who can start to move this program forward.
Yelling?!? Good Lord, man! Find me a football coach that doesn't yell! About the only one I can think of was Mackovic at UT, and he got unemployed.

Superstitions?!? Again, find me a football coach that isn't superstitious! They all have their quirks and routines.

The problem is that he's stubborn, and extremely resistant to firing subordinates. This has led to complacency and a lack of the usual game preparation and attention to fundamentals that used to be a hallmark of the program. It is from these root causes that all our woes branch and flower.

Pinkyfrog

This is a stupid string. TCU is the most winningest ol legs football team in Texas. Please give us your football coaching credentials before giving us your truly objective opinions of Coach P as a coach. Ridiculous.
First of all, I agree with you. But this is a terrible argument, I don't have to be a chef to understand when chicken isn't cooked properly.

Rabidfrog

Yelling?!? Good Lord, man! Find me a football coach that doesn't yell! About the only one I can think of was Mackovic at UT, and he got unemployed.

Superstitions?!? Again, find me a football coach that isn't superstitious! They all have their quirks and routines.

The problem is that he's stubborn, and extremely resistant to firing subordinates. This has led to complacency and a lack of the usual game preparation and attention to fundamentals that used to be a hallmark of the program. It is from these root causes that all our woes branch and flower.
never saw the Mormon coach yell, the one we used to play against. He was the calmest dude ever.

Rabidfrog

See, this is part of the problem, blind and unobjective loyalty.

You don't need coaching credentials to see that we're paying for a top 10 coach and his staff, and getting a mediocre product on the field.

I do agree though, the question sets this up as ranking his career, which is one of the best, but he's been in obvious decline since the Alamo bowl versus Oregon in 2015-2016 season. That was the last high point for this program, and you don't need coaching credentials to see that either, just six years of data. And doesn't that coincide directly with when he got "tenured"?

The better question though might be who in a P5 conference would trade us for Patterson? And I'd say maybe KU? Indiana?
don't like the term "product." Once again, bidness model does not fit. We're dealing with human beings.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Saban never yells, wait…