• The KillerFrogs

What's wrong with Fort Worth?

mcdaddy

Have you seen the Panthers season so far?

Irving (L) 40-14
Burleson (L) 45-0
Mansfield Summit (L) 45-0
Mansfield (L) 51-0
Martin (L) 76-0
Sam Houston (L) 45-7
Edit for last night: N Crowley (L) 42-7

FYI I don’t care about the football team. It’s a hell of a high school and poster above is dead wrong about academics. I’m a father of 3 headed to Paschal, classes of 2022, 2024, and 2026.

Last edited:

rM3panno

The issue isn't that the talented players don't exist in FWISD, rather that they get recruited to the suburbs. It is a crazy but true situation that occurs all over. Families in a suburban district trying to compete at the highest levels that have the resources (e.g. Free rental homes) will provide those resources to get a player and their family in the district.

Big Frog II

Approx 63% hispanic in FWISD, 22% black, & 11% white. Academics & sports other than cheer just not a priority.
There are schools in the FWISD that Academics are still very strong. Paschal does a great job of getting students ready for college. One of my kids was a National Merit Finalist, and one missed by a point. They all went to TCU and did exceptional. Yes, there are many schools that are lacking, but there are schools that are very good. Now sports, I will give you. Even though Paschal Golf did win the state championship while my son was there. and came within extra innings of going to the final 4 in baseball. AHHS has been there a number of times.

HickoryFlameFrog

To the op's original? I think the point is made. There are notable exceptipns to academic criticisms. My son Southwest HS '04, to TCU 'O8 on academic/music scholarship. Nonetheless fwisd's students by in large couldn't get into TT let alone TCU on academics and citing a few exceptions by posters here won't change that. I'd expect children of TCU to have advantages making academic success more likely. Paschal is really two schools academically. Too many athletes in fwisd are under achievers academically and the quality of the programs at most schools lack whatever it takes to develop whatever talent may be there.

82Frog

I know when I was in grade school the middle schools would prepare the kids better and run much the same offense that they would see when they went on to high school. Like what Moning and Stripling would do for players that went on to Arlington Heights HS.

mcdaddy

I know when I was in grade school the middle schools would prepare the kids better and run much the same offense that they would see when they went on to high school. Like what Moning and Stripling would do for players that went on to Arlington Heights HS.
There is a new and concerted effort at McLean this year to this point specifically and athletics in general. GREAT coaches at McLean right now...and parent support.

toad horny

Ok, I’ll weigh in here on Paschal. I have a senior there (girl) and a freshman boy who plays football (& baseball). They are 4th generation Paschal students. We love the school and couldn’t be happier there. I cannot speak for FWISD as a whole, but frankly, Paschal does care some about athletics, but not near as much as academics.

The other issue at play is Paschal’s demographics. You get very smart kids from varying socio-economic backgrounds and the School helps those kids succeed. My kids are in all AP/pre-AP & Honors classes. There are good kids at the school and bad kids - just like any school.

Here is the problem for football - there are too few boys who want to play and the ones who do frankly are just not big kids. If we were competing against other FWISD schools or maybe 4A (Paschal is 6A), we would be fine. My son is not a big kid, but has a lot of heart. In most freshman football games, he rarely comes out of the game on either side of the ball or special teams. He likes it, but I don’t really. He has to play where he plays and when he plays not because of size, but because of lack of kids and a lack of kids with any skills or heart.

Paschal has great baseball and golf teams. The basketball team has been decent. Football is just hurt by not having enough kids and having too many kids like my son - lots of brains & heart; just not near enough size. All of the other crap some are posting about “inner city” stuff is just garbage. We’ve had a great experience and my kids have made a lot of friends that are from a lot of socio-economic backgrounds different from ours - and I am proud of that.

Sorry for the long post. Flame away with the “did not read” gifs.

Froginbedford

I am a product of FWISD, but from 50 years ago....At some point in the 1980s as the suburban cities and school districts began to grow and FWISD's enrollment began to decline from a combination of outmigration and aging neighborhoods with fewer school-age children, FWISD made a decision to keep open all the schools it could, maintaining the neighborhood school concept....Perhaps it was a politcally-driven decision in the face of voter opposition to closing schools, perhaps it was a decision driven by the belief that smaller schools can better address the needs of students....Academically, the latter makes sense....Athletically, it has proven to be a major reason for the FWISD's decline in competitiveness outside the city....If FWISD were to consolidate schools, the money not spent on operation of smaller schools could be funneled into athletic programs (not only football)....Consolidate North Side, Diamond Hill, and Carter-Riverside into one North Hills High School....Consolidate Eastern Hills and Dunbar into one Eastover High School....Re-consolidate O. D. Wyatt and Polytechnic into one Forest Heights High School....Consolidate South Hills and Southwest into one South Ridge High School....Re-consolidate Arlington Heights and Western Hills into one West Ridge High School....Each of these newer schools would have enrollments over 2,000 and make them more competitive in the 5A class playoffs....The only problem with this is the investment recently in the new Benbrook High School....Perhaps in this model, South Hills could be re-consolidated with Paschal and Southwest and Benbrook could be consolidated....FWISD in the 1980s conducted a round of closures at the elementary and middle school levels, but resisted at the high school grades....

BABYFACE

The op asked why D1recruiting numbers were down in FWISD. People answered as to why. It shouldn’t have gone any further.

82Frog

"Consolidate North Side, Diamond Hill, and Carter-Riverside into one North Hills High School"

. . . .This really needs to be done. Poor Diamond Hill is just pathetic year after year . . I checked the stats a few weeks ago and one game they had 9 yards of offense . . total.

Cougar/Frog

A friend taught at Poly for a few years to wipe out his student loans. He played soccer in college so became the girls soccer coach. He was the kickers coach for the football team one year.

This is what he told me: there were no intact homes and no family support. Any relatively motivated student is off to a better school, at middle school.

Athletes are recruited by coaches from outside the area by middle school as well. They drive the kid to and from school, helping out with school work, doing whatever they can.

By high school, only the the worst are left with no motivation or hope. Some have D-1 talent. In the right circumstances they could have been 4 or 5 star recruits, but these kids are the ones that these other coaches couldn't work with.

The players show up.....sometimes. They make grades.....sometimes. They are undisciplined and can't follow plays or rules. And many quit mid season.

My friend could only handle one year as an assistant coach, it was so depressing.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
A friend taught at Poly for a few years to wipe out his student loans. He played soccer in college so became the girls soccer coach. He was the kickers coach for the football team one year.

This is what he told me: there were no intact homes and no family support. Any relatively motivated student is off to a better school, at middle school.

Athletes are recruited by coaches from outside the area by middle school as well. They drive the kid to and from school, helping out with school work, doing whatever they can.

By high school, only the the worst are left with no motivation or hope. Some have D-1 talent. In the right circumstances they could have been 4 or 5 star recruits, but these kids are the ones that these other coaches couldn't work with.

The players show up.....sometimes. They make grades.....sometimes. They are undisciplined and can't follow plays or rules. And many quit mid season.

My friend could only handle one year as an assistant coach, it was so depressing.

That is 18 layers of sad.

FWIW Ijust saw this on ESPN’s high school game of the week:

Since 2013 the ESPN 300 has had exactly SIX players from the state of New York. NJ has had 45 and Pennsylvania just a few less.

Latest posts