• The KillerFrogs

What was Sonny Thinking?

Showtime Joe 2.0

I have read all of the post-game commentary on here with great interest but I'm only going to lodge one complaint of my own. And it's aimed directly at Sonny.

On our second-to-last offensive play yesterday, Chandler missed Savion on a short pass over the middle, thus bringing up fourth-and-nine from the Colorado 43-yard line. Although the clock was stopped after the third-down incompletion, we only had two timeouts left. Nine times out of ten (if not greater), when you turn the ball over on downs with less than a minute left in the game and only two timeouts left, you're not going to get the ball back.

Consequently, the game was really and truly on the line on that fourth-down play. As such, Sonny should have used one of our two timeouts at that point to calm Chandler down and make sure we had a surefire play to get the first down and keep our hopes alive. A first down there would've put us very close to field-goal range and we still would've had one timeout in our pocket with, as Hubie Brown would say, "plenty of time" to tie or win the game.

Using timeouts wisely --- especially during crunch-time --- is the duty of the head coach and the head coach alone. As we all know, Gary Patterson had some kind of congenital defect that frequently prevented him from using timeouts properly. I was expecting Sonny to do better in that regard but I'm afraid he failed us yesterday.

That is all.

FrogBall09

I have read all of the post-game commentary on here with great interest but I'm only going to lodge one complaint of my own. And it's aimed directly at Sonny.

On our second-to-last offensive play yesterday, Chandler missed Savion on a short pass over the middle, thus bringing up fourth-and-nine from the Colorado 43-yard line. Although the clock was stopped after the third-down incompletion, we only had two timeouts left. Nine times out of ten (if not greater), when you turn the ball over on downs with less than a minute left in the game and only two timeouts left, you're not going to get the ball back.

Consequently, the game was really and truly on the line on that fourth-down play. As such, Sonny should have used one of our two timeouts at that point to calm Chandler down and make sure we had a surefire play to get the first down and keep our hopes alive. A first down there would've put us very close to field-goal range and we still would've had one timeout in our pocket with, as Hubie Brown would say, "plenty of time" to tie or win the game.

Using timeouts wisely --- especially during crunch-time --- is the duty of the head coach and the head coach alone. As we all know, Gary Patterson had some kind of congenital defect that frequently prevented him from using timeouts properly. I was expecting Sonny to do better in that regard but I'm afraid he failed us yesterday.

That is all.
Sonny has never been known for great clock management....either was GP - feel like its pretty common anymore at the HC level and the reason why several NFL teams and a few college teams have a person with that job....

FrogBall09

How many times have you seen the end of the Baylor game from last year? That game was time management 4001 for those that were watching.
It was one play that has been practiced a ton and saved his ass but that was terrible TO mgmt that game - have you even paid attention to Dykes coaching career? Time and TO mgmt has always been an issue for him

But like I said - it is for most HCs anymore - game is faster, more responsibilities - it’s a weak point

NewFrogFan

It was one play that has been practiced a ton and saved his ass but that was terrible TO mgmt that game - have you even paid attention to Dykes coaching career? Time and TO mgmt has always been an issue for him

But like I said - it is for most HCs anymore - game is faster, more responsibilities - it’s a weak point
It was time management perfected, how many other games have you seen it done? I graduated from LSU and Les Miles when speaking to game clock management makes ANY other comparison a non entity. He did it over and over and over and over. Where were you last year on this subject?

FrogBall09

It was time management perfected, how many other games have you seen it done? I graduated from LSU and Les Miles when speaking to game clock management makes ANY other comparison a non entity. He did it over and over and over and over. Where were you last year on this subject?
At the same place - dykes is bad at managing timeouts

Baylor is one game vs 7 others he burned clock at the end of plays vs using TO and went in with TOs

But he is better than GP was at clock mgmt though

NewFrogFan

At the same place - dykes is bad at managing timeouts

Baylor is one game vs 7 others he burned clock at the end of plays vs using TO and went in with TOs

But he is better than GP was at clock mgmt though
Well the one game he perfected time management led to the season they had, period dot, they lose to Baylor the CFP is over before it starts. How many times has that Baylor ending been on one sports highlight after another?

The problems with this team, this year are far worse than an end of game timeout that should have been used.

FrogBall09

Well the one game he perfected time management led to the season they had, period dot, they lose to Baylor the CFP is over before it starts. How many times has that Baylor ending been on one sports highlight after another?

The problems with this team, this year are far worse than an end of game timeout that should have been used.
Again Baylor was far from great clock mgmt - one play was great

Great clock mgmt in Baylor would have meant we would not have to pull off the kick with no TO and barely enough time