• The KillerFrogs

What happened to "Eight"

Toad Jones

Toad - I’m still here. I just don’t post as often.

I read a lot but try to stay out the cross fire.

Thanks for the very kind words!

Go Frogs!
See that wasn't so hard, What were you guys? Irving and Harrigan?. Something like that wasn't it?. Just know the majority of Houston and surrounding area listened to you guys.
Dysfunctional though it may be…
Of course, but considering our current society, this is a welcome relief from that torment. And please if I may, I ran into man old, old friend a couple of days ago, and he said I'm not even going to vote b/c Trump will win this thing in twenty minutes. I said no, now more than ever you need to vote and show our citizens where to stand, collectively as a group, who demand we conduct our country responsibly.

Frog DJ

See that wasn't so hard, What were you guys? Irving and Harrigan?. Something like that wasn't it?. Just know the majority of Houston and surrounding area listened to you guys.
Hudson & Harrigan. Mac Hudson and Irving Harrigan (Irv for short). Being an obvious WASP, the name “Irv” certainly didn’t fit my appearance. The first time I met our LONG time advertising client Irv Marks (of IW Marks Jewelers), I introduced my self as “Irv” and he shook my hand saying, “When was your Bar Mitzvah, boy?”

The name "Irving" actually originated on The Charlie & Harrigan Show at KLIF in Dallas back in the 1960s. The legendary owner of KLIF, Gordon McLendon was a big fan of Mad Magazine, and every year on St. Patrick’s Day, they would feature a cover picture of Alfred E. Newman dressed as a leprechaun and call him “Irving Harrigan."

Gordon thought that joke about a Jewish leprechaun was hilarious, so when the equally legendary Ron Chapman was put on the KLIF morning show with Jack Woods as Charlie Brown (McLendon liked to give cartoon air names to his on-the-air staffers) Chapman was assigned the air name “Irving Harrigan”

Chapman left and hosted the teen dance show on Channel 8 “Sump’n Else,” and an extremely talented guy named Paul Menard assumed the role of “Irv Harrigan.” Soon thereafter, Menard transferred to the McLendon station in Houston (KILT), and took the name with him.

When I was hired to host KILT’s morning show in 1980, I had to take the name as part of the deal. When people like Irv Marks would express doubt about my cultural heritage I would simply joke, “I’m Iro-Hebrew.”

Until his death a few years ago, Chapman would never let me forget his role in my most successful broadcasting gig. Every time I spoke to him at the Texas Radio Hall of Fame ceremonies he would remind me, “You were the longest tenured Harrigan, but I was the FIRST.”

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

Toad Jones

Hudson & Harrigan. Mac Hudson and Irving Harrigan (Irv for short). Being an obvious WASP, the name “Irv” certainly didn’t fit my appearance. The first time I met our LONG time advertising client Irv Marks (of IW Marks Jewelers), I introduced my self as “Irv” and he shook my hand saying, “When was your Bar Mitzvah, boy?”

The name "Irving" actually originated on The Charlie & Harrigan Show at KLIF in Dallas back in the 1960s. The legendary owner of KLIF, Gordon McLendon was a big fan of Mad Magazine, and every year on St. Patrick’s Day, they would feature a cover picture of Alfred E. Newman dressed as a leprechaun and call him “Irving Harrigan."

Gordon thought that joke about a Jewish leprechaun was hilarious, so when the equally legendary Ron Chapman was put on the KLIF morning show with Jack Woods as Charlie Brown (McLendon liked to give cartoon air names to his on-the-air staffers) Chapman was assigned the air name “Irving Harrigan”

Chapman left and hosted the teen dance show on Channel 8 “Sump’n Else,” and an extremely talented guy named Paul Menard assumed the role of “Irv Harrigan.” Soon thereafter, Menard transferred to the McLendon station in Houston (KILT), and took the name with him.

When I was hired to host KILT’s morning show in 1980, I had to take the name as part of the deal. When people like Irv Marks would express doubt about my cultural heritage I would simply joke, “I’m Iro-Hebrew.”

Until his death a few years ago, Chapman would never let me forget his role in my most successful broadcasting gig. Every time I spoke to him at the Texas Radio Hall of Fame ceremonies he would remind me, “You were the longest tenured Harrigan, but I was the FIRST.”

Go Frogs!

Remember McClendon saying, I don't want to own anything you have to paint or feed?

Frog DJ

Remember McClendon saying, I don't want to own anything you have to paint or feed?
Oh, the stories I could tell about Gordon McLendon! Texas Monthly once called him “Rock ‘N’ Roll’s Wizard of Oz,” and I was blessed to work for and get to know “The Man Behind The Curtain” while I was the morning show host on KNUS in Dallas.

I have worked for bigger stations with bigger ratings, bigger revenue and bigger reputations, but from a pure creativity standpoint, KNUS in the 1970s was the best sounding radio station I worked for in my 50+ years in broadcasting.

One morning in 1976, I asked listeners to call in and tell me who they would really LIKE to see as President of the US , not who they would VOTE for (it was an election year). As an example I said, “I’d like see Hubert Humphrey be president because it’s obvious that he just WANTS it so bad!”

About 10 minutes later, Gordon sauntered into the control room during a commercial break, shook my hand and said, “Keep up the good work, young man.” In my mind, that remains one of the high points of my entire career.

Go Frogs!

Frog DJ

Loving the radio behind the scenes stories, @Frog DJ
Admittedly, this is an act of shameless self-promotion, but if you love the behind the scenes stuff, my book is jam-packed with them, but here’s one that failed to make the cut.

When professional soccer was gaining a bit of popularity in the 1970s, Bart McLendon (Gordon’s son) wanted KNUS to do a promotion with the Dallas franchise, so our program director came up the idea to sprinkle cash on the pitch during the break between periods, and pick 10 lucky listeners to run out and grab as much money as they could in 99 seconds (we were “99” on the FM dial).

On game day, Dallas experienced high winds in the weather forecast, so while I was still on the air that morning, I alerted management that the money was likely to blow away. We came up the idea to wrap each bill in a small rock, and we spent ALL DAY anchoring each individual one, five, ten, twenty, fifty and hundred dollar bill using rocks from bags of large gauge gravel. The total amount of cash was several thousand dollars, but because the currency was wadded up around a rock, it was almost impossible to discern the denomination without picking it up first.

Of course, now the money was MUCH heavier, so we loaded it all into bags and distributed it across a huge portion of the pitch using a golf cart. Finally, the ten winners ran out, grabbed as much money as they could in 99 seconds, and then, we had to start picking up what was left on the pitch. This proved to be more tedious and time-consuming than we expected, and soon the referees were telling us they needed to resume play. As such, quite a few bills were still on the field when the match started up again.

We retreated to the stands to watch the action and the result was absolutely comical! Players soon realized the situation, so they would completely abandon the ball to pick up the randomly placed, remaining cash, and total chaos ensued. This was long before players were paid big salaries, so they saw an opportunity to literally “pick up” some significant extra money.

The crowd’s initial laughter turned into jeers, and eventually descended into hearty boos, but officials refused to suspend the match to clear the field (I’m pretty sure they picked up a few bills themselves). I turned to Bart McLendon and said, “Well, I think we’re gonna get some serious publicity out of this, but I’m not sure it’s gonna be good.” I was right. Over the next two days, KNUS was mentioned on Channels 4, 5 and 8, plus the Dallas Morning News, Times Herald and Star Telegram, and some of it was definitely NOT complimentary. Elston Brooks did give us a whimsical mention in his column, but he and I were long-time friends, and he LOVED that kind of story, anyway.

As a wise man once said, “You can’t make this stuff up!”

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

froginmn

Admittedly, this is an act of shameless self-promotion, but if you love the behind the scenes stuff, my book is jam-packed with them, but here’s one that failed to make the cut.

When professional soccer was gaining a bit of popularity in the 1970s, Bart McLendon (Gordon’s son) wanted KNUS to do a promotion with the Dallas franchise, so our program director came up the idea to sprinkle cash on the pitch during the break between periods, and pick 10 lucky listeners to run out and grab as much money as they could in 99 seconds (we were “99” on the FM dial).

On game day, Dallas experienced high winds in the weather forecast, so while I was still on the air that morning, I alerted management that the money was likely to blow away. We came up the idea to wrap each bill in a small rock, and we spent ALL DAY anchoring each individual one, five, ten, twenty, fifty and hundred dollar bill using rocks from bags of large gauge gravel. The total amount of cash was several thousand dollars, but because the currency was wadded up around a rock, it was almost impossible to discern the denomination without picking it up first.

Of course, now the money was MUCH heavier, so we loaded it all into bags and distributed it across a huge portion of the pitch using a golf cart. Finally, the ten winners ran out, grabbed as much money as they could in 99 seconds, and then, we had to start picking up what was left on the pitch. This proved to be more tedious and time-consuming than we expected, and soon the referees were telling us they needed to resume play. As such, quite a few bills were still on the field when the match started up again.

We retreated to the stands to watch the action and the result was absolutely comical! Players soon realized the situation, so they would completely abandon the ball to pick up the randomly placed, remaining cash, and total chaos ensued. This was long before players were paid big salaries, so they saw an opportunity to literally “pick up” some significant extra money.

The crowd’s initial laughter turned into jeers, and eventually descended into hearty boos, but officials refused to suspend the match to clear the field (I’m pretty sure they picked up a few bills themselves). I turned to Bart McLendon and said, “Well, I think we’re gonna get some serious publicity out of this, but I’m not sure it’s gonna be good.” I was right. Over the next two days, KNUS was mentioned on Channels 4, 5 and 8, plus the Dallas Morning News, Times Herald and Star Telegram, and some of it was definitely NOT complimentary. Elston Brooks did give us a whimsical mention in his column, but he and I were long-time friends, and he LOVED that kind of story, anyway.

As a wise man once said, “You can’t make this stuff up!”

Go Frogs!
And did you say,

As-God-Is-My-Witness.png

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Similarly, Scrubs is way closer to an accurate depiction of medicine when compared with the medical dramas like Gray’s Anatomy or others.
Don't recall seeing stuff like this at Seton.
l-intro-1665348409.jpg

Just kidding - one of my all-time favorite shows. Especially liked the fantasy episodes.