• The KillerFrogs

What do we do with 11 Teams?

JugbandFrog

I hate the Big Ten scheduling, and what happens if some lucky fool like Fresno State only plays us or Boise, but not both? Doesn't this mean that the MWC has to do something? I would prefer we either go to 12 or drop someone.

I hate the Big Ten scheduling, and what happens if some lucky fool like Fresno State only plays us or Boise, but not both? Doesn't this mean that the MWC has to do something? I would prefer we either go to 12 or drop someone.

One thing that still needs to be fleshed out about this MWC/CUSA championship game (aside from how the financials would work) is how each conference would determine the qualifier for the game. CUSA would still presumably have a championship game prior to the Non-AQ Bowl? If the MWC were to go to 12, then the Non-AQ Bowl Series would effectively be a 4-team playoff anyway. I'm not a huge fan of that, personally. I'd rather the MWC determine a champion in the regular season and reward the best team during the season, not run the risk of rewarding a lesser upset-minded team.

However, like you said, a 11-team MWC could have complications with ties for first place. But I'd rather have the problem of picking between two really good teams as opposed to sending a lucky inferior team ...

dkfrog

One thing that still needs to be fleshed out about this MWC/CUSA championship game (aside from how the financials would work) is how each conference would determine the qualifier for the game. CUSA would still presumably have a championship game prior to the Non-AQ Bowl? If the MWC were to go to 12, then the Non-AQ Bowl Series would effectively be a 4-team playoff anyway. I'm not a huge fan of that, personally. I'd rather the MWC determine a champion in the regular season and reward the best team during the season, not run the risk of rewarding a lesser upset-minded team.

However, like you said, a 11-team MWC could have complications with ties for first place. But I'd rather have the problem of picking between two really good teams as opposed to sending a lucky inferior team ...

Add this to the list of reasons that I don't like the idea of a MWC/CUSA championship game...