• The KillerFrogs

WFAA: Several sexual assaults reported on TCU campus

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
WFAA: Several sexual assaults reported on TCU campus

by DAVID SCHECHTER

FORT WORTH - There is a problem on the campus of Texas Christian University.

The University is confirming two sexual assaults and one attempted assault in the span of a week.

Fort Worth Police are investigating and TCU is reminding students to take responsibility for their safety.

Many students said they feel TCU is a safe place to go to school. But there is a sense of shock too, after all classes just started a week ago. ...

illini_frog

Ok. I know this will be a minority opinion, and I am about to be gone for awhile, so I might get torn apart while I'm away from the computer.

But....

TCU's Sexual Assault training is ridiculous. The amount of stuff it covers and the manner in which it does so makes it a joke. The videos define sexual assault as basically any romantic/flirty/hook-up-ey move a guy makes on a girl (or vice versa) when there have been even just a few beers or shots consumed.

My theory is that 2 or 3 of these "assaults" were basically because a guy made a move on a freshman girl, and she didn't like that, rejected him, and then reported him for "assaulting" her.

No doubt I could be wrong, but I speak for the vast majority of students when I say that the Sexual Assault training is a joke. The skit they do at the freshman assembly is pretty effective, but the video training we all have to do is ridiculous.

My two cents...

Pinkyfrog

Ok. I know this will be a minority opinion, and I am about to be gone for awhile, so I might get torn apart while I'm away from the computer.

But....

TCU's Sexual Assault training is ridiculous. The amount of stuff it covers and the manner in which it does so makes it a joke. The videos define sexual assault as basically any romantic/flirty/hook-up-ey move a guy makes on a girl (or vice versa) when there have been even just a few beers or shots consumed.

My theory is that 2 or 3 of these "assaults" were basically because a guy made a move on a freshman girl, and she didn't like that, rejected him, and then reported him for "assaulting" her.

No doubt I could be wrong, but I speak for the vast majority of students when I say that the Sexual Assault training is a joke. The skit they do at the freshman assembly is pretty effective, but the video training we all have to do is ridiculous.

My two cents...

I kind of agree here

Frog DJ

My daddy once told me, "If she says, 'Yes' when you pick her up, and she says, 'Yes' when over dinner, and she says, 'Yes' after the movie, but she says, 'No' at the last minute - that means 'No'!"

Pretty simple stuff.

Go Frogs! Do It Now!

dweller

All three women knew their attackers. The headine makes it sound like there is a serial rapist on campus. That is good marketing, but shoddy journalism.
Guys need to know that No means No. I have a daughter who is a High School sophmore and this type of behavior ticks me off. However before rushing to any conclusions, the article was very short on facts.

JurisFrog

Call me an old fogey, but I have never ever liked the idea of coed dorms. The risk is simply too great to be on tcu property. I know every other school does this but I simply do not care. As a former ra I can tell you that freshman an sophomore boys do not need to be living with the girls. Depending on the student this can also apply to upperclassmen.

We may be an advanced society beyond mid 1990s college life, but I highly doubt it. And articles like this simply advance my case.

Deep Purple

Call me an old fogey, but I have never ever liked the idea of coed dorms. The risk is simply too great to be on tcu property. I know every other school does this but I simply do not care. As a former ra I can tell you that freshman an sophomore boys do not need to be living with the girls.
Boys do not "live with" girls in co-ed residence halls. The halls are gender-segregated by wing or by floor. Access to segregated areas is controlled by card readers keyed to student IDs. Only students who live in those areas have on-demand access. Students who don't live there can't enter at will. They sometimes "tailgate through" when a legit resident enters or exits, but that's the resident's fault for letting them in. But that's hardly unique to co-ed halls. That problem exists in gender-exclusive residence halls as well.

One of the three assaults did not occur on campus. It was by an unknown assailant against a student who lives some blocks south of campus. The two assaults that did occur on campus were by a known acquaintance, which means that either the boy was an invited guest to the girl's room or the girl was an invited guest to a boy's room. Again, this is not unique to co-ed residence halls. It occurs in gender-exclusive residence halls also.

AFunkyFrog

But....

My two cents...

Very true. The sexual assault training video is kind of like doing Defensive Driving: you mute the window and StumbleUpon in another. Some of the things it recommends include proclaiming you have HIV to scare an attacker away or locking yourself into a bathroom and calling for help. It fails to emphasize that 80% of sexually assaults are by a known acquaintance. It seems to approach it from the "random attacker" standpoint and most of the video's suggestions for getting out of the situation are not applicable at all. I know I would never claim I had HIV to get out of a situation because that would not be a fun rumor to deal with later.

SuperToad

But....

My two cents...

I agree 100%. Its absolutely ridiculous. They need to do a better job about the "training video". And you are spot on about the girls who say they are "assaulted", when really they were just hit on.

But one of the cases was ridiculously stupid on the girls part. She let some guy she hardly knew into her room when her roommate was there. And its rumored the guy didn't even go to TCU. I mean really??? Common sense plays a big part of this.

AEAfrog

But one of the cases was ridiculously stupid on the girls part. She let some guy she hardly knew into her room when her roommate was there. And its rumored the guy didn't even go to TCU. I mean really??? Common sense plays a big part of this.

That does sound like bad judgment but stupidity of the victim is never a defense. If the guy wasn't a TCU student and roaming the halls of a dorm alone, that's a problem in and of itself.

Deep Purple

I agree 100%. Its absolutely ridiculous. They need to do a better job about the "training video". And you are spot on about the girls who say they are "assaulted", when really they were just hit on.

Agree. The girl was not at fault for her assault, but she did show incredibly bad judgement.

As for the lame "training videos," those are produced by private companies or social organizations that distribute them to college campuses nationwide. The reasons they're so lame: 1) They're far too PC, 2) Because they're PC, they incorporate scenarios that aren't even close to real-life.

More realistic training is provided through the TCU PD with their Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) classes. These classes teach coeds physical defense techniques for warding off sexual assaults -- or really, attacks of any kind. The techniques they teach are highly guarded, and males (except for instructors) are not allowed in the classes.

Problem is, what they teach is usually applicable only in cases of random attacks by unknown assailants. It's not real applicable when a girl is physically involved with a guy and attempts to draw the line at a point where, if he's a real jerk, he won't take no for an answer. It also doesn't do much good in cases where a girl is impaired by excessive drinking, taking drugs, or being drugged.

I don't really understand guys who feel that there's some point of no-return where a girl no longer has the right to say no. Almost every guy has been left by a girl with blue-balls at some point or other. It's highly frustrating, but far from fatal. You'll survive it with no permanent damage. The same cannot be said for a girl who suffers sexual assault.

Deep Purple

That does sound like bad judgment but stupidity of the victim is never a defense. If the guy wasn't a TCU student and roaming the halls of a dorm alone, that's a problem in and of itself.
The guy was roaming the halls alone? I didn't see this in any news stories or campus emails. Where did you get this? Campus grapevine?

AEAfrog

The guy was roaming the halls alone? I didn't see this in any news stories or campus emails. Where did you get this? Campus grapevine?

I don't know anything about what happened other than what was said in this thread. I was just going off of SuperToad's post that she let a guy (so an individual) into her room she didn't know and who may have not even been a TCU student. Maybe I was reading too much into his post, but it certainly sounded like the guy was alone in the dorm. Then again, it could be completely baseless hearsay.

JurisFrog

Boys do not "live with" girls in co-ed residence halls. The halls are gender-segregated by wing or by floor. Access to segregated areas is controlled by card readers keyed to student IDs. Only students who live in those areas have on-demand access. Students who don't live there can't enter at will. They sometimes "tailgate through" when a legit resident enters or exits, but that's the resident's fault for letting them in. But that's hardly unique to co-ed halls. That problem exists in gender-exclusive residence halls as well.

One of the three assaults did not occur on campus. It was by an unknown assailant against a student who lives some blocks south of campus. The two assaults that did occur on campus were by a known acquaintance, which means that either the boy was an invited guest to the girl's room or the girl was an invited guest to a boy's room. Again, this is not unique to co-ed residence halls. It occurs in gender-exclusive residence halls also.

SuperToad

It was just a rumor. It's a logical rumor, given the story that they sent by email to TCU students. Not really a factual statement, just going off what people have been saying.

Deep Purple

It was just a rumor. It's a logical rumor, given the story that they sent by email to TCU students. Not really a factual statement, just going off what people have been saying.
Understood. But a "logical rumor" isn't necessarily true. It's still a rumor. Discussing rumors as rumors is harmless. Discussing them as if they were established facts is really going too far.