• The KillerFrogs

Wayne Graham Will Not Return to Rice Next Season

lowfrog

Maybe KS is well aware of what being a D1 baseball program head coach entails and has decided to pass and remain an associate coach.

WhatTheFrog

KS is in the ideal position right now. He could've done the Stanford gig, which I wouldn't have blamed him for taking, but he has no actual ties to that program. He has helped to build this TCU program and it is a solid program. He has his name tied to this program. The only other real program I can see him leaving to lead is Fullerton. That is a big league, real program in its own right. I also wouldn't blame him leaving here for his alma mater. I hope he always stays here, for the obvious reasons.

I'm glad to have him here for as long as he stays here, regardless. I am confident that Schloss goes to bat for him contractually as much as he can.

Our big 3 (Patterson, Schlossnagle, and Dixon) are the best 3 major mens' sports coaches this country has ever seen at one school. We are living in the sports panacea, the likes of which few or no other school has ever had. I admit to being spoiled. I would love for this to never end. I hope our admin retains the commitment to academic and athletic excellence that it has had over the last 2 decades.

Moose Stuff

Sure...but if you don’t understand the scope of the amount of work and energy necessary to be successful, how is he going to find assistance understand it?...Like most of life, people tend to take on the characteristics of those that lead them.

I’m making the assumption that he understands the scope, knows his limitations, and would hire experienced assistants that will fill in those limitation gaps..... if those assumptions are incorrect it would be a colossal failure.

Frogenstein

Berkman might work in an assistant role (like TCU did with Nolan Ryan years ago) that way he’d be able to use his notariety in recruiting battles and provide valuable perspective to the team. But he’s never coached that I’m aware of at any level. It’s insane to think you can simply walk into an upper level D1 program with some significant hurdles to work thru regarding costs and academic rigors and succeed.

I agree w Kendall. I think berkman as a head coach would be a disaster for them.
You make some good points. However tuition cost isn’t a problem at Rice. Like Stanford and Vanderbilt their endowment is so large (5.8 Billion) that they can offer need based aid to every student with a need - including non-scholarship athletes.

lonestarfrog89

IMG_9465.jpeg
Am I supposed to know what this hat is?

lonestarfrog89

sarloos and sons vineyard and the logo has been seen at times on sarloos' twitter account.

curious why you thought why texas was home for kirk
Haha. Twice I've been grilled on this, real odd. I was making a guess as to why he would take the Rice job, I never said he was from Texas. I said its a shorter move from Fort Worth to Houston than it is from Fort Worth to California. I was not saying he is from Texas. But okay.

I didn’t say that, but someone said that he has zero coaching experience, so I thought it was at least relevant to the conversation.

I’m so sorry for posting a fact about the topic.

Your fact is equivalent to saying, "Lance drives to work every day... Thus, Lance has some qualifications to be a Nascar driver."

God I am grumpy this morning...

Ron Swanson

Your fact is equivalent to saying, "Lance drives to work every day... Thus, Lance has some qualifications to be a Nascar driver."

God I am grumpy this morning...

First off, I do think you probably learn a little something about being a baseball coach from coaching HS baseball.

Secondly, your NASCAR analogy is a terrible one. It’s actually not like that at all.

Now, do I think that being a HS coach alone qualifies him to be a D1-ready coach? Obviously not, but I also never even came close to implying that, that’s you just assuming I’m a dumbarse and putting words in my mouth for the sake of a bad joke.

I do think it’s worth mentioning that he has been coaching baseball for the last four years though, which is what I did.

lonestarfrog89

First off, I do think you probably learn a little something about being a baseball coach from coaching HS baseball.

Secondly, your NASCAR analogy is a terrible one. It’s actually not like that at all.

Now, do I think that being a HS coach alone qualifies him to be a D1-ready coach? Obviously not, but I also never even came close to implying that, that’s you just assuming I’m a dumbarse and putting words in my mouth for the sake of a bad joke.

I do think it’s worth mentioning that he has been coaching baseball for the last four years though, which is what I did.

This thread is full of some real off base interpretations of statements.