• The KillerFrogs

Watching the Rose Bowl for the 7th or 8th time, I noticed

PurpleBlood87

Watched bits and pieces tonight of the game. I've watched it several times on DVR. Mostly I watched it because I wanted to see what the announcers said and it gives you abother perspective on the game.

A really huge play in the game and maybe one of the top athletic and heads up plays of the season was saving the punt at the goal-line. What an amazing play, that really pinned up Wisconsin.

I just got home and watch the onside kick again. Bart got hit almost instantly as he hit the ground. Kerley and Young didn't block anybody. Tanner Brock is a wild man. Crazy. If that onside kick goes less than 14 yards, even by a yard or two then Bart is getting the living crap kicked out of him mid-air.

He jumped so high in the air that it took forever for him to hit the ground. There was nobody around him when he caught the ball. Good grief, like you said, the Wisky defenders were only 14 yards away from him and the ball traveled about 20 yards after the kick. Of course they'll be there when he hits the ground.

It was nearly perfect execution on our part. In case you didn't notice, WE RECOVERED!!

froginaustin

I wonder if the word came down from On High, to the football staff and players, to STFU about those new Nike cleats.

I had forgotten how many times, over and over, the television crew talked about all the slipping TCU players were doing, and those new cleats.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yeah, and it was Herbie who pointed it out on air the first time, not Erin Andrews. Of course, she was subsequently blamed for all the bad press...

jake102

It's still pretty crazy that Herbstreit was talking about TCU setting up for a double move, and then bang, Bart Johnson runs a double move for a touchdown.

Lone Frog

I wonder if the word came down from On High, to the football staff and players, to STFU about those new Nike cleats.

I had forgotten how many times, over and over, the television crew talked about all the slipping TCU players were doing, and those new cleats.

As I recall, Oregon wasn't wearing those cleats in the NCG a week and a half later.

SnoSki

Didn't they re-sod the rose bowl field just a couple weeks before the game? IMO whenever they do that just about anywhere the grass, mud and soil haven't really had enough time to mix and grow into each other. That probably didn't help things.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
A really huge play in the game and maybe one of the top athletic and heads up plays of the season was saving the punt at the goal-line. What an amazing play, that really pinned up Wisconsin.
I AGREE! At the time, when I saw it, and then the replay, I thought, "This will be on every highlights show," and I never saw it again. It was awesome.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
I AGREE! At the time, when I saw it, and then the replay, I thought, "This will be on every highlights show," and I never saw it again. It was awesome.

As beautiful and athletic as that play was, it was absolutely uneccessary after the first guy touched the ball, which is why it didn't show up in any highlights. (Although I think it deservedly made the Season Review DVD.)

Watch the official: as soon as the ball is touched, he starts to pull his down marker out of his pocket. The ball was initially touched by the kicking team on the 1 or 2 yard line. Even if it subsequently rolls into the end zone, there's no touchback.

Unless i'm wrong, of course.

FROGDADDY

As beautiful and athletic as that play was, it was absolutely uneccessary after the first guy touched the ball, which is why it didn't show up in any highlights. (Although I think it deservedly made the Season Review DVD.)

Watch the official: as soon as the ball is touched, he starts to pull his down marker out of his pocket. The ball was initially touched by the kicking team on the 1 or 2 yard line. Even if it subsequently rolls into the end zone, there's no touchback.

Unless i'm wrong, of course.

You're basically right, the final act of saving the ball from going into the endzone was not necessary.