• The KillerFrogs

Watch it again and again

Rabidfrog

Yeah, there was a ton of trash talk from the Ole Miss fans before the game, not so much when they didn't come back to the stands after halftime. Saw a bunch of OM decals and flags on cars on the way to Atlanta on the 30th, didn't see a single one on the way home on the 1st. Gotta admit I reveled in their embarrassment afterward.
my fave game in which we gave a thrashing to teams includes this one, plus Utah 55-28 in a record attendance at the Carter in 2009; Okie St. 2014, 42-9; UT 2015, 50-7 (could have been a 100-7). Don't know why, but I felt sorry for Tech in 2014.

The tv call of “TCU … is undefeated still!” was a funny sequencing of words (instead of “still undefeated.”) But the exuberant ad lib added to the fire drill thrill of the finish, along with ball floating down to cheering people in purple. Glorious. Yes, watches it a few times.
I liked the pause, then “WOW”, then another pause, and then “I’m shaking!”

PurpleBlood87

Most fun moment, we had some local Atlanta guys sitting in the middle of our section talking loud on purpose before the game chirping the TCwho, faking bookie calls taking Ole Miss, askint how bad this was going to be for poor TCU, etc.
It was so fun watching them try to sneak out unnoticed in the middle of the second quarter in the middle of SEC chants. Enjoyed asking them why they were leaving…

There was a ton of trash talk going one way before the Rose Bowl.
I've never heard the "F Word" so much from ages eight to 80.
I had to ride a bus from the train drop off to the Rose Bowl and I was the only TCU fan on there. Sat by a local guy who was just going to the game. I told let them talk, and they did, I knew who would win the game.
After the game, Wisconsin fans were still talking [ Finebaum ].

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
There was a ton of trash talk going one way before the Rose Bowl.
I've never heard the "F Word" so much from ages eight to 80.
I had to ride a bus from the train drop off to the Rose Bowl and I was the only TCU fan on there. Sat by a local guy who was just going to the game. I told let them talk, and they did, I knew who would win the game.
After the game, Wisconsin fans were still talking [ #2020 ].
They showed the colors at the very end of the tv coverage. They were doing a drone shot of the Rose Bowl from outside with the San Gabriels in the background. As they panned on people exiting, two Wisky geniuses see the drone and let fly a couple double birds. Nationwide class live and in person.

Last edited:

Purp

I have this game on DVD and watch it as well. Yes, that is a total of Minus 23 yards rushing for Tailback U. 1998 Sun Bowl stats:

Game summary​

Basil Mitchell had only 19 carries but ran for 185 yards and two touchdowns as TCU scored on their first three possessions and dominated the time of possession in the first half (having the ball for 20:15). TCU quarterback Patrick Batteaux also had two touchdowns for TCU, both rushing. But Carson Palmer (who had 280 yards passing) threw two touchdowns (one to Billy Miller and the other to Petros Papadakis) that made it 28–16 going into the fourth quarter. After stopping TCU on a drive, the Trojans got the ball back and drove to the TCU 20 early in the fourth quarter. But TCU's defense stuffed their offense, as USC kicked a field goal to make 28–19. From that point on, TCU ate up most of the clock as USC did not score again, giving TCU their first bowl win since 1957 in what would be the first of six consecutive bowl appearances.

Defensive Lineman London Dunlap was named Jimmy Rogers, Jr. Most Valuable Lineman and Running back Basil Mitchell was named C.M. Hendricks Most Valuable Player.[3]

StatisticsTCUUSC
First Downs1812
Yards Rushing314-23
Yards Passing51280
Total Yards475331
Punts-Average5-37.86-45.8
Fumbles-Lost0-01-0
Interceptions00
Penalties-Yards6-557-49
What am I missing. Rushing and receiving yards don't add up to total yards.

Purp

my fave game in which we gave a thrashing to teams includes this one, plus Utah 55-28 in a record attendance at the Carter in 2009; Okie St. 2014, 42-9; UT 2015, 50-7 (could have been a 100-7). Don't know why, but I felt sorry for Tech in 2014.
That Tech game was going perfectly at first. We were planning to leave early for a wedding downtown so I was hoping for a blowout. But as it became time to leave we couldn't stop scoring and I couldn't let myself miss out on a historic thrashing.

We ended up catching the end in the car before going in and we walked in after proceedings had already started. Frogs everywhere knowing exactly what we'd done so nobody was mad except for maybe the pastor and wedding planner.

puckster59

Mr. Estridge's call, is the call of the year, the more I watch it, the amazing it seems!
I can’t remember who now but one of the talkers on Monday or Tuesday played an audio clip of the Fox guy’s hyper call of the play and then the calm, reassuring way Estridge called it. He said something to the effect of TCU oozed the sense of “we got this.”