• The KillerFrogs

Washington Post: New season, same old BCS

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

MICHAEL WILBON

It's the same old lies and promises as ever with the BCS and the cartel that props it up. It was supposed to be different this year, we were told, because Boise State and TCU began the season so high in all the rankings, in the top five or six in most polls. That level of preseason praise meant the game's best and most high-profile party crashers wouldn't have to leapfrog so many cartel members and therefore would be in position to play for the national title if they earned it on the field.

So some of us, foolishly we know now, were hopeful - until Sunday night when the latest BCS standings were released. Twenty-four hours after TCU turned in probably the most stunning performance of the season and after Boise destroyed an opponent that had won five straight, they sat No. 3 and No. 4 respectively in the BCS standings, looking up longingly at the latest darlings of the cartel, Auburn and Oregon, knowing something cataclysmic would have to happen to derail the same scripted business-as-usual scenario in college football. ...

jack the frog

MICHAEL WILBON

It's the same old lies and promises as ever with the BCS and the cartel that props it up. It was supposed to be different this year, we were told, because Boise State and TCU began the season so high in all the rankings, in the top five or six in most polls. That level of preseason praise meant the game's best and most high-profile party crashers wouldn't have to leapfrog so many cartel members and therefore would be in position to play for the national title if they earned it on the field.

Yep. the BCS cartel have looked for a BCS team, any BCS team to throw ahead of the non AQ unwashed and hope that team sticks to the wall. My guess is at least BST, and maybe even our Frogs would have been looking at Bama's hiney this week if the tide had won.

freebird

MICHAEL WILBON

So some of us, foolishly we know now, were hopeful - until Sunday night when the latest BCS standings were released. Twenty-four hours after TCU turned in probably the most stunning performance of the season and after Boise destroyed an opponent that had won five straight, they sat No. 3 and No. 4 respectively in the BCS standings, looking up longingly at the latest darlings of the cartel, Auburn and Oregon, knowing something cataclysmic would have to happen to derail the same scripted business-as-usual scenario in college football. ...

Herbie: before he diminished Utah on the BCS show last night; (he picked UTAH to win over TCU 2 years in a row.) Wrong both times.
After taping segments for ESPN programs like "SportsCenter" and "College Football Live" on Friday, Fowler and co-stars Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and Erin Andrews answered questions from the Utah media.

"It's great to come to Utah, to Salt Lake City, to give this program some national exposure that I believe it deserves," said Howard, a former Heisman Trophy winner.

Herbstreit had similar thoughts

"They've got it going this year and it's good to be back," he said.

The matchup against TCU, Andrews said, obviously makes it "the biggest game this weekend."

It carries big implications for both teams. A possible BCS berth (perhaps a spot in the championship game) and an MWC title will be within grasp of the winner. It's a big showcase for teams from a non-automatic qualifying conference like the MWC.

"I think it's good," Howard said. "It shows that the landscape in college football is starting to level out."

Herbstreit believes a win would especially benefit the Utes.

"Speaking nationally, this game, I think, could do a lot for Utah as far as trying to get a little bit more realistic dialogue going when it comes to a non-automatic qualifier breaking into the BCS," he said. "Even though Utah's won two BCS bowl games, I still feel that they are on the outside looking in."

Herbstreit predicts the Utes will be successful in the Pac-12 next season.

"I think they'll do great as long as Kyle Whittingham is the head coach and as long as they continue to recruit the way they do," Herbstreit said. "… If I were a Utah fan I would be stoked about next year and years to come."

Here are KIRK'S PICKS.
He missed 6 of 9 picks.
What a loser.

Proven: He is unqualified to have an opinion of anyone in the BCS race.

Colorado at Kansas / he picked Colorado = KANSAS WINS BIG

Baylor at Oklahoma State / OklahomaState

Texas at Kansas State / KansasState

Illinois at Michigan / Illinois = MI IN OVERTIME

Northwestern at Penn State / Northwestern = PENN STATE

NC State at Clemson / Clemson = BY 1

Alabama at LSU / Alabama = LSU

Arkansas at South Carolina / SouthCarolina = AR

TCU at Utah / Utah TCU = TCU IN A BLOWOUT

kirk-herbstreit.jpg

HERBIE BLOWS