• The KillerFrogs

Was our OC position undesirable?

McFroggin

By rough estimate, we are losing 99% of our offensive production. Who wants to trade what they have for a mystery box?

Heisman runner-up QB gone
Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

When was the last time we replaced this many starters on offense?

Our TE is the most exciting returning offensive weapon, and we barely know what a TE does at TCU.

Other than the $, I don’t see much to entice a star OC.

TAINTed frog

By rough estimate, we are losing 99% of our offensive production. Who wants to trade what they have for a mystery box?

Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

Our TE is the most exciting returning offensive weapon, and we barely know what a TE does at TCU.

Well, except that we made it to the NC championship game. Of which only 7 programs have done. I think we’ll be alright. Similar to the Georgia poster after they made it and lost. Gotta keep the foot on the gas and there’s no reason to think we are not.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
TCU just hired an former Broyles award finalist SEC OC who in the last 6 weeks has turned Miss State and $1.7 mil to return to Arkansas, received a raise there, then likely took a pay cut to come back to coach in Texas at the arch rival of fathers program, no TCU is not undesirable

frogs9497

Other than “returning to Texas,” I’ve not heard or read anything attributed to him as to why he wanted to leave AR for the same position here. Surely he had some sense that he’d be walking into a hornet’s nest with a segment of the TCU base.

Atom

Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

Like watching most reality TV, I got dumber by spending my time reading this.

ftwfrog

Other than “returning to Texas,” I’ve not heard or read anything attributed to him as to why he wanted to leave AR for the same position here. Surely he had some sense that he’d be walking into a hornet’s nest with a segment of the TCU base.
He probably realizes the people complaining are just little [hundinnen ].

TCURiggs

He's coming back to a place that's 65 miles from where he grew up, joining a staff where he knows/has worked with pretty much everyone, and has known one or two of them for most of his life, and joining a conference that he's had a lot of success in that's mostly tied to the state he's played and worked in for the majority of his life. As others have said, this one was a no-brainer outside of the Briles/TCU angle that some of us diehards can't handle.

The "hornet's nest" with a segment of our fan base seems to be worth the risk for those in charge. As much as I can't stand Art, I get it. Don't think you can shun everyone on that Baylor staff for the rest of their lives based on what we know (as we've had Kaz and Buckles), and he and the others have been employed elsewhere for almost a decade (other than Art, rightfully). It was an obvious "good fit" with the staff we have, and I think he's definitely good at his job, so here we are. Just deal with it or take your ball and go home if you want to take some kind of moral stand, but it was pretty predictable. Like I've said, I think moral stands should've been taken over a year ago if you really had a problem with the Baylor happenings and not just the "Briles" name.

I think Kendal will be very good at this job, I have no concerns about Sonny, ADJD and the gang handling this staff, but I'm not looking forward to hearing from all of my Central Texas/Baylor acquaintances giving me ship about having Kendal on our staff after the ration of ship I gave them about Art and that mess. I'll basically just say where am I'm at now... for anyone looking for an extra pound of flesh with all of this, knock yourself out. Art is still exiled from big-time football, all of his staff has branched off and seems to have done well with no signs of shady behavior, so make your decision on how you want to react about all of that. I'm choosing to assume that the powers-that-be (in multiple places) know better than me, so I'll still go and support my football team after this hire I don't love (from a non-football standpoint).

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I think SD locked in on KB. Probably a lot of interest from others.
Agree. Looks to me like Sonny went straight to Briles. I think the announcement was delayed as TCU devised how to weather the expected backlash, leaked it to release some pressure from the valve, and now is waiting for everyone to get over it and move on to something else.

Briles is a proven solid OC with a track record of success. His character is a huge question mark. It is a little more disappointing to me to know he has a daughter. As the father of one, I believe you value and treat all women the way you do your mother and your daughter.

Limey Frog

Let's be clear: this is a great job, especially for coaches with strong Texas ties, and Johnny Tape Fingers is a great hire if you only consider how many points your team will score with him in charge.

There are also good reasons to suspect that Johnny is a scumbag. But, as many have pointed out, we already hired Kaz and three other schools already hired Johnny. So there's plenty of hypocrisy to go around at this point.

McFroggin

It’s interesting that when I reframe the hire like we were desperate, everyone backs Briles as a good hire.

Almost like many here got stuck on emotions and reacted instead of seeing the genius this is….

froginmn

It’s interesting that when I reframe the hire like we were desperate, everyone backs Briles as a good hire.

Almost like many here got stuck on emotions and reacted instead of seeing the genius this is….
Where in this thread did you see that? Most of the posts don't talk about whether it was a good or bad hire at all...

An-Cap Frog

Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

Welcome to college football!

froginaustin

For what TCU is paying Briles, a whole lot of people would run after the job even if its duties were exclusively shoveling [ Finebaum ]. Sonny could pick his way through a pile of resumes from [ Finebaum ] shovelers with wonderful credentials and amazing abilities.

Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

Seriously, a good, ambitious football coach would see the resources and the opportunity, not the challenges.

We'll probably all be sorry for TCU when Tapefingers moves up the ladder in a year or maybe three.

Eight

Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

read leach's book, you will see that those from the pirate's coaching tree truly don't see problems that can't be solved, but sometimes roads that haven't been taken

think this is a big reason why sonny seemed so set on kendall and kendall agreed to come work with sonny

Last edited: