• The KillerFrogs

USA Today: Who's the greatest-ever No. 33?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
USA Today: Who's the greatest-ever No. 33?

By Reid Cherner, USA TODAY

Who owns the uniform number? Some uniform numbers have been worn by hundreds if not thousands of different players in the professional ranks, but who is the one athlete who stands out as the ultimate No. 24 or No. 32 or . . . you get the idea.

We boiled down the 99 numbers into our 20 favorites.

It's a question we'll be asking all month long at Game On! Today, it's No. 33.

The candidates, in alphabetical order:

Sammy Baugh: He was one of the men responsible for the modern passing game when he came into the pros in 1937. He was a two-time All-America at TCU and in the pros threw for 21,886 yards and 187 TDs. He was also a stand-out punter averaging 45.1 yards a kick. ...

halfwaytoheaven

Wow, that's a tougher question than I thought it would be - these "greatest at number XX" polls are usually pretty simple. Gotta love Sammy, but he didn't wear 33 at TCU. Kareem and Bird are hard to top, but Patrick Roy, as much as I hate him, was pretty unbeatable. Eddie Murray's a good one, too. Sorry, Pippen, you're not even in the conversation. And yeah, how did they leave off Dorsett? Set a record for NCAA rushing yards, and wasn't he second or third all-time in NFL rushing yards when he retired? He's still in the top 10.

icemonkee

lol, you say some pretty funny stuff on here monkee :biggrin:

I'll take that to heart
wub.gif
(minus the creepyness of that picture)

roddog

Banned
i gave my tcu homer vote for sammy baugh ...

dont see that as a homer pick, it was amazing what sammy accomplished on the field, and despite using a ball much harder to throw than the current one his passing stats were incredible, if people had better memories or knew more about sammy baugh he would be the number one choice, course im not a huge bball fan so maybe im biased :blink:

frogbyproxy

Glad I have my purple glasses on today! From what all of you have said you voted for everyone but a TCU alumni. Good to see Ran and Rod got it right! I kind of thought it was nice to see a horn frog up there. Oops and probably Jake voted for him too. :tongue: