• The KillerFrogs

Update on Purke

Moe Iba

Schloss was just on a Sirius XM College Sports radio and said he is confident that Matt Purke will return this season, possibly in the next 2-3 weeks.

Ohiofrog

As well as we are holding together without him, a return might really turn us in to a possible championship team. Other kids are getting innings and becoming reliabe. If we have three reliable starters and we are worried about Purkes durability, why not use him as a closer and then a weekday starter. Could you imagine him in his normal form pitching a loser bracket game in the tournament ??

masterfrog

As well as we are holding together without him, a return might really turn us in to a possible championship team. Other kids are getting innings and becoming reliabe. If we have three reliable starters and we are worried about Purkes durability, why not use him as a closer and then a weekday starter. Could you imagine him in his normal form pitching a loser bracket game in the tournament ??
It is not even possible since we aren't going to lose another game this season.

halfwaytoheaven

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Wink is great, but Mitchell's still a Freshman and we've barely seen Miller. Maxwell has gotten wins, but he hasn't been quite what we expected this season, either. Good enough to beat Air Force or UNLV, perhaps, but he'll have to be 100% if he's going to get wins against National Seed- or Regional Host-type teams. We've been on a nice little streak, but I'd feel a lot better about our chances with a fully armed and operational Matt Purke in the rotation.

jake102

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Wink is great, but Mitchell's still a Freshman and we've barely seen Miller. Maxwell has gotten wins, but he hasn't been quite what we expected this season, either. Good enough to beat Air Force or UNLV, perhaps, but he'll have to be 100% if he's going to get wins against National Seed- or Regional Host-type teams. We've been on a nice little streak, but I'd feel a lot better about our chances with a fully armed and operational Matt Purke in the rotation.

Mitchell is a freshman but he's damn good. I would be nervous going into a Super Regional game with Mitchell though... never know with a fish how the nerves will affect them.

Maxwell has been pretty friggin good. 2.90 ERA and has been really good for the past many starts. Reliable.

Miller terrifies me still.

We need Purke if we want to win a championship.

Idea: Winkler, Maxwell and Mitchell as starters and have Purke in relief. Yay or nay?

halfwaytoheaven

Mitchell is a freshman but he's damn good. I would be nervous going into a Super Regional game with Mitchell though... never know with a fish how the nerves will affect them.

Maxwell has been pretty friggin good. 2.90 ERA and has been really good for the past many starts. Reliable.

Miller terrifies me still.

We need Purke if we want to win a championship.

Idea: Winkler, Maxwell and Mitchell as starters and have Purke in relief. Yay or nay?

Maxwell - I don't know. His stats are comparable to what they were last year, but he somehow doesn't seem to have the same stuff he had then. Maybe he can still take it to that level, but he just doesn't seem like the pitcher who threw eight shutout innings against Baylor in the Regional.

I like trying Purke in the bullpen; heck, I was in favor of that move even before he was hurt. A guy who can throw really hard for two or three innings? Sounds like a perfect fit.

ftwfrog

Could you imagine him in his normal form pitching a loser bracket game in the tournament ??
We may be working our way back into hosting a regional. How mad would a team be if TCU was sent to their site as the #2 seed?? Talk about a bad draw.

TCURiggs

Maxwell - I don't know. His stats are comparable to what they were last year, but he somehow doesn't seem to have the same stuff he had then. Maybe he can still take it to that level, but he just doesn't seem like the pitcher who threw eight shutout innings against Baylor in the Regional.

I like trying Purke in the bullpen; heck, I was in favor of that move even before he was hurt. A guy who can throw really hard for two or three innings? Sounds like a perfect fit.

I disagree with you on Maxwell. I thought he looked a little off at the beginning of the year, but I'm well past that. He might have an occasional bad inning, but that dude is a grinder. He and Winkler seem to work their way out of most trouble that they get into, and they both can chew up some innings. I'd feel confident with Max on the hill in any situation.

Houston Frog

In regards to Mitchell's nerves and being a frosh in a bigtime setting..... that kid doesn't appear to fluster, I wouldn't be worried about the grandness of the stage getting to him. Or at least, I would worry about him way less than I would your typical freshman

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
In regards to Mitchell's nerves and being a frosh in a bigtime setting..... that kid doesn't appear to fluster, I wouldn't be worried about the grandness of the stage getting to him. Or at least, I would worry about him way less than I would your typical freshman
Right. Remember - we were a few bounces here and there away from winning a championship last year, with a freshman pitcher as our most clutch starter. So Mitchell isn't as lauded as Purke, doesn't mean he couldn't pull of the same thing.

Any official word on the visit to Dr. James Andrews? Has it even happened yet?

SnoopFrogs11

I'm sure I saw it on twitter a couple weeks ago as well that Purke went to visit Dr.Andrews. This has been Maxwell's best season so far so I wouldn't doubt anything regarding his ability.