• The KillerFrogs

UCONN per the experts

ROFL. Could this show be more ironic? Experts.. Really?

2 out of 3 said today economically UCONN was the biggest winner of the BCS system. What a joke maybe they didnt catch that article about all the money the school is about to lose since they have only sold ~4k tickets.

Kaiser

2 out of 3 said today economically UCONN was the biggest winner of the BCS system. What a joke maybe they didnt catch that article about all the money the school is about to lose since they have only sold ~4k tickets.

Agreed. The only real winners are the bowl executives.

fanatical frog

UCONN is the biggest winner.....but VT is nipping very closely at their heels....what are they ranked? 13?

Why is all the emphasis on UCONN? The ACC hasn't produced a compelling champion either.

This season has produced the near perfect storm for the Bowl System:
  • An undefeated and very deserving team is denied a shot at the national title....yet again
  • Two not so deserving (sorry UCONN, I'd say it if it was us as well) are playing in BCS games ....those games may not sell out or even be well attended and probably won't get a large tv audience
  • Boise.........the 10th ranked team is denied yet again an opportunity to show what they can do against an AQ team.
It's time to dismantle not only the BCS but the entire Bowl System.

Cougar/Frog

The Orange Bowl has been killed by its association with the ACC. It would be far better off being free of a tie-in (or getting the Big 12 like it had it the old days when OU went almost every year). The ACC is saved because it has a number of good "names" like FSU, the U, VT, Georgia Tech, etc. A few years ago, Sagarin had the ACC as his best conference because it was the most balanced---a garbage way to determine the best conference, just because everyone is bad.....sort of like the Pac-10 this season, with only 2 good teams and a bunch of average ones.

Zubaz

The payout for the BCS conferences is $17mm per team, isn't it? Even if they didn't sell one ticket, that would be $2.6mm that they'd have to eat. Compare that to the payout for going to the Champ Sports Bowl ($2.2 Million), where they'd STILL probably have to eat a significant portion of the tickets that they aren't able to sell.

UConn is definitely a huge winner under this system, regardless of how many tickets they sell.

froginaustin

The payout for the BCS conferences is $17mm per team, isn't it? Even if they didn't sell one ticket, that would be $2.6mm that they'd have to eat. Compare that to the payout for going to the Champ Sports Bowl ($2.2 Million), where they'd STILL probably have to eat a significant portion of the tickets that they aren't able to sell.

UConn is definitely a huge winner under this system, regardless of how many tickets they sell.
This article explores the contrary argument.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/UConn-made-the-BCS-and-all-it-got-was-this-loom?urn=ncaaf-296921

ftwfrog

To be honest, as much as it hurts to say it. We are a huge winner in this system. Without the BCS we'd have won the MWC and play in the Las Vegas Bowl. Oregon would play in the Rose Bowl, Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. I know the system stinks, but we'd be further from a national championship with the "old system". Yes, a playoff is too obvious to deny, but I'd say the Frogs are bigger winners than UConn.

Zubaz

This article explores the contrary argument.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/UConn-made-the-BCS-and-all-it-got-was-this-loom?urn=ncaaf-296921
Right, I get that, but my point is that UConn has two options: With the BCS they get the Fiesta Bowl, without it they get the Champ Sports Bowl at best. The costs (the eating of the tickets, hotels, travel expenses) are going to happen regardless of what bowl they go to, so the increased revenue base clearly benefits them.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
To be honest, as much as it hurts to say it. We are a huge winner in this system. Without the BCS we'd have won the MWC and play in the Las Vegas Bowl. Oregon would play in the Rose Bowl, Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. I know the system stinks, but we'd be further from a national championship with the "old system". Yes, a playoff is too obvious to deny, but I'd say the Frogs are bigger winners than UConn.

Don't agree with this. Pre-BCS most of the bowls were a free-for-all, with even the big bowls (except for the Rose) having at least one at-large spot. There's no way of knowing WHERE we might have ended up this year in such a system. Hell, we might have ended up in Arlington playing the Ags in the Cotton Bowl.

Houston Frog

Right, I get that, but my point is that UConn has two options: With the BCS they get the Fiesta Bowl, without it they get the Champ Sports Bowl at best. The costs (the eating of the tickets, hotels, travel expenses) are going to happen regardless of what bowl they go to, so the increased revenue base clearly benefits them.
<BR>I don't think the Champs Sports Bowl forces universities to pay $145 per ticket (at a minimum of 20,000 tickets) for what they don't sell to their fans

ftwfrog

There's no way of knowing WHERE we might have ended up this year in such a system. Hell, we might have ended up in Arlington playing the Ags in the Cotton Bowl.
And that's better than Pasadena playing Wisconsin? Just saying, the system sucks, but we can't really complain about where we are, compared to the "old system"