• The KillerFrogs

Tyrell Brown and Coach Kaz.

FrogCop19

You sound like a hot head. Heckling occurs. In football. In baseball. And most sporting arenas and stadiums. As Coach Ryan Day said this morning, don't let emotions get the best of you. If the fan was intoxicated or out of line, have him removed. Don't go into attack mode. Those players didn't need a helicopter coach to protect them. Be mentally stronger.
Nope, not a hothead in the slightest. In fact, I was the officer they would call in to cool things down when the old retired FW officers at TCU would get all riled up over drunk frat boy idiots out in Worth Hills.

But as I said in my edit, I went back and watched the video again and yeah, he was outta line. Back when he was their coach it was because he was a 'roided out freak, now that he's our coach, it's because he is passionate. ;)

Moose Stuff

Doing his job? He almost got into a physical altercation (assault) because a guy (intoxication unknown) was heckling. Unprofessional. That's not part of his job. We all learned as kids, sticks and stones...

Since it's in your username, were you a cop? Defending his actions and promoting fights is unacceptable. This was not a case of self defense. It was uncontrolled aggression.
Key word being “almost”. Laughable that you would label anything that doesn’t actually include a physical altercation as being “uncontrolled aggression”.

And FWIW, the TCU fans that were heckling the Baylor players were far more out of line than Kaz was.

tjcoffice

Heckling occurs. In football. In baseball. And most sporting arenas and stadiums.
Lot of bad things "happen." That does not make it open season on bad things. I went to a girls softball game a few years back and one parent was doing the worst heckling. It was embarrassing for all concerned. I would defend a player as well - up to a certain point. Just because it happens does not make it acceptable.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yes it does, unfortunately. And it's among the worst parts of what the game has become.
I can remember a time when "hecklers" were clever and even humorous.

The future Mrs. Brewingfrog and I took in a game at Wrigley in the late 80s in which there was a well-versed Bleacher Bum who dissected Brett Butler's (playing Center Field, and thus in range) swing, and his inability to hit the curve. He quoted up-to-date stats on Butler's production at the plate, and his puny average against the particular style of pitcher on the bump for the Cubs. "We got a curveballer out on the mound today, Butler. You're going to strike out." He did. Badly. The guy kept at Butler, who was getting annoyed. Two innings later, Butler struck out again, and he was greeted by more reminders of this. By the 7th, Butler turned around and began screaming at the guy in the bleachers, having lost all control. The SF manager mercifully pulled him. Some guys can take it, some can't. Kurt Thomas used to revel in it, putting a hand to his ear to encourage them. Others are at least sanguine. I cannot remember the player, but at a post-game Media session, reporters asked him, "Could you hear the fans booing you?"
He replied, "Did you see how I played out there? If I'd been in the stands, I'd have booed me, too!"

Alas, no more. There's no art or craft to screaming "You suck!" at somebody. But, seemingly, that's about all they've got. The concept of honoring those who have managed to make the sacrifices and effort necessary to reach the levels of competition they have are completely forgotten in the New World of the Mary Sue and other fantasy crap that is considered entertainment. Respect for your opponent is an alien concept. Trash talking is the New Cool.

Moose Stuff

Agree. We didn't just win that game....we curb stomped Baylor that day........winning was enough, no need for anything more..... just go home and remember how sweet it was.
I have less than zero respect for heckling beyond just good natured/clean/clever banter. The grown ass man that stands behind an elevated railing/barrier and taunts a college athlete with [ Finebaum ] he would NEVER say to his face knowing full well he’d get his ass kicked if he did is an absolute POS in my book.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Was embarrassed, watching you guys get drawn into a jawing match with OU fans behind your bench. Getting baited into banter about the color of their teeth!

Childish and showed total lack of discipline and class. Focus on the damn game!

Another note. I don’t think Joe Gillespie‘s system is the problem. He simply needs better talent to run the system. Would be very difficult for TCU to find a coach as good as Gillespie on defense.

You're on the hashish again, aren't you?!

frogetaboutit

Old Arlington Stadium metal outfield bleachers in the mid/late 80’s was mecca for hecklers of the clever/humorous/brutal variety. $20 got you parking, a ticket and 3 beers. We’d be right on top of opposing team outfielders and stayed on them entire game. Not sure it did any win/lose damage but was fun and players would engage and go back and forth. Great memory from TCU years - probably made 15-20 games a year.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Was embarrassed, watching you guys get drawn into a jawing match with OU fans behind your bench. Getting baited into banter about the color of their teeth!

Childish and showed total lack of discipline and class. Focus on the damn game!

Another note. I don’t think Joe Gillespie‘s system is the problem. He simply needs better talent to run the system. Would be very difficult for TCU to find a coach as good as Gillespie on defense.

Gillespie's DEFENSE has proven to be a train wreck over 2 full seasons.
Poor tackling, lousy DB coverage and horrible QB pressure.

80% of the games had ridiculously bad results. 1 out of 5 games the defensive performance was acceptable or good.

It's not just this year that you could gripe at Gillespie about. It's been bad since the get go.
Everyone ooohed and aaahed about the 3-3-5 when he was hired.
Dykes said everyone in the country was using it in some fashion or another.
I beg to differ. None of the teams headed to the CF Playoffs run the 3-3-5, or even in the Top 20 for that matter. NONE.
Michigan, Ohio St, Georgia, Washington -
FSU, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU, KSU, ND, Iowa, etc., etc..

Even Patterson wasn't crazy enough to run that powder puff DEFENSE

IT DOESNT WORK. Move on.

FrogBall09

Key word being “almost”. Laughable that you would label anything that doesn’t actually include a physical altercation as being “uncontrolled aggression”.

And FWIW, the TCU fans that were heckling the Baylor players were far more out of line than Kaz was.
And if they had been employees- than they should been fired - just as he should have been then, should be after yesterday and really never should have been here to start

fanatical frog

Old Arlington Stadium metal outfield bleachers in the mid/late 80’s was mecca for hecklers of the clever/humorous/brutal variety. $20 got you parking, a ticket and 3 beers. We’d be right on top of opposing team outfielders and stayed on them entire game. Not sure it did any win/lose damage but was fun and players would engage and go back and forth. Great memory from TCU years - probably made 15-20 games a year.

Us too. My son was about six at the time and when he would hear "Chunk it Fergie" he must have (mis)heard something that rhymed with that and sounded very similar to that and would shout that out.

I used to say we couldn't stay at home and burn electricity for less than games would cost then.

Fun times.

Moose Stuff

And if they had been employees- than they should been fired - just as he should have been then, should be after yesterday and really never should have been here to start
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
We've had multiple discussions on here making fun of him for that, but nearly everyone has also acknowledged the TCU fan was way out of line, and Kaz was doing his damn job by defending his players against a drunk, belligerent old man making fun of them. We thought it was funny because he was with baylor, but I know if I had a kid playing football I'd want a coach step up and defend him against some drunk rando jackass in the stands.
No, not everyone has. They weren't drunk. They gave some good-natured smack back at Baylor who came into the game acting better than us because they were in the Big 12. Those guys were sitting near the locker room entrance when Baylor came out chanting Big 12 before the game, then got their asses handed to them, so the guys had some fun with them as they exited. I thought it was funny how it triggered RGIII, Kaz and some others. Maybe a little excessive. I used "Good job Big 12" often after that.

Much worse has been said and done between fans and opposing teams and players.

NORMLFROG

Yep, unless a player is in actual physical danger, there's no reason a coach should ever threaten violence.

Baylor players ignited this by chanting "Big 12" as they came down the tunnel before the game. Most of us know this, but it's worth pointing out that the arrogance of the Baylor players and fans had really begun to wear on TCU fans after 15 years of being looked down upon. They looked down on TCU simply because they were a member of a club and had averaged less than 2 wins per year in the B12 up until this point. Not only had we beaten them on the field in 2006 and 2007, we were coming off of two consecutive top 10 finishes in the polls and started the season in the top 5. They hadn't finished ranked since 1991 when they finished 20th.

Being left out of the B12 had done serious damage to TCU's image. It had fallen to second tier status despite the academic rankings that were, for all intents and purposes, equal to Baylor's. Baylor had benefited tremendously by inclusion in the B12, not by merit. Many of our fans, myself included, had had enough of that crap. I don't blame any of those for giving it back to Baylor after we totally destroyed them that day. We scored on our first seven possessions, if I recall correctly, and then Patterson called off the dogs. Had he known what was coming just a few years later from the Briles regime, I think he would have chosen to hang 70+ on them that day.
Are you that dude from Network who’s mad as Hell and not gonna take it anymore?

NF

HG73

No, not everyone has. They weren't drunk. They gave some good-natured smack back at Baylor who came into the game acting better than us because they were in the Big 12. Those guys were sitting near the locker room entrance when Baylor came out chanting Big 12 before the game, then got their asses handed to them, so the guys had some fun with them as they exited. I thought it was funny how it triggered RGIII, Kaz and some others. Maybe a little excessive. I used "Good job Big 12" often after that.

I was right there when it happened. TCU fan was in his 60s and definitely not drunk or even belligerent. Just repeating "Good job Big12" as the Baylor players walked up the ramp. When the game is over, win or lose, you get your butt on the bus straightaway. The Baylor players were jawing with our fan who admittedly did not let up. Kaz was doing more jawing than an assistant coach should, and finished up with "Don't worry, when we wake up tomorrow you'll still be in Conference USA" or something to that effect. Jackass, especially after the butt whipping they just endured. Any other assistant coach would have just hustled his players on up the ramp.