• The KillerFrogs

Tuberville scolded over comments.

Big Frog II

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 4 2010, 09:55 AM) [snapback]593094[/snapback]
bail on them and we could expect under 2 million in tv revenue in the mwc compared to around 16 million in the big 12

You better make sure that check is good before cashing it.

PurplePutt

Roddog was saying how much everyone hated the deal and now he is all for it? It's fine with me if Tech and Baylor want to continue to be UT's little brother and can lick up the crumbs that are left on the floor.

Hard to believe that the little 7 are going to get 16 million each with a smaller conference, smaller TV market, and no championship game.

I think Tubs is right. This thing ain't going to last.

Chaos! Bring on Chaos!

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 4 2010, 11:19 AM) [snapback]593100[/snapback]
would you consider yourself a Briles if you left your current job for pay 8 times what you were making?

Yes. If I had to take it up the butt all of the time, get urinated on and have to say thank you, work as a waiter at the boss's parties and wash his car, I believe I would be the very definition of the word. If in the new job, I was totally independent, I would answer no to your question. I think you have to evaluate the cost of pride and at what point you say F it. However, I have been in business for myself for the past 35 years, so I am probably really not in position to relate to your question. I kind of relate to what GP said, relative to his pay. How much does a person really need? If he followed your thought, he would have been gone from TCU a long time ago.

On a side note,I have two children and a daughter-in-law who went to Tech and, believe it or not, even though I wear purple sunglasses, I actually root for Tech when they are not playing us.

roddog

Banned
QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Jul 4 2010, 04:38 PM) [snapback]593109[/snapback]
Roddog was saying how much everyone hated the deal and now he is all for it?

never said i liked the deal, i hate it, but it is what it is and the bottom line is if any mwc team is offered an invite they would jump all over it

PurplePutt

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 4 2010, 11:59 AM) [snapback]593116[/snapback]
never said i liked the deal, i hate it, but it is what it is and the bottom line is if any mwc team is offered an invite they would jump all over it

That might be different. If some MWC teams came to the Big 12 then it might survive. My point is that the current deal just doesn't pass muster--so to speak.

Frog DJ

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 4 2010, 11:19 AM) [snapback]593100[/snapback]
would you consider yourself a Briles if you left your current job for pay 8 times what you were making?

After almost 30 years of working for one of the world's biggest corporations I was laid off in March. I had accrued a generous salary and benefits package, but definitely had to kiss [Deleted] to keep it.

As soon as word got around my industry I had been fired many of my old friends began to call, and of those who now work for themselves they all said, "You're going to be much happier, now." Their rationale was simple: Being liberated from the yoke of corporate control I would soon discover less money but more freedom was a very satisfying trade-off.

I'll freely admit I'm not there yet, but I can't say I miss the BS, the meetings and most of all - my pompous, know-it-all, abusive boss. I'll probably never make the same kind of money again, but the freedom from the subjugation and intimidation at the hands of ego maniacal half-wits is quite refreshing.

I can't help but believe TT, BU, OSU, Mizzou, ISU, KU and KSU will eventually tire of living in bondage, and will gladly jump at the opportunity to free themselves from the unbalanced playing field in the Big 12. I could be wrong - several of my former co-workers have told me I'm lucky to be freed from the daily grind, but they're still working there, so the "Little Six" just might continue to accept their second class status for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Personally, I'm glad TCU is in the MWC.

Go Frogs!

Limey Frog

QUOTE(Frog DJ @ Jul 4 2010, 01:52 PM) [snapback]593133[/snapback]
Personally, I'm glad TCU is in the MWC.

Go Frogs!

Ditto. Just watching the desperate way Baylor and the other welfare children squirmed with rank dread and offered everything from naming rights to their children on up was a total revelation to me. All the time I was watching and just couldn't believe those guys were trying so hard to avoid being in the situation we're in, cut off from UT's teat and going it alone in the MWC. We have a very good set up. It could be better but we are growing and moving in the right direction. Things get better every year for us. And everything this school and its sports programs get out the system, we earned. That brings dignity and school pride. It makes it a really special thing to be part of.

I know several Baylor guys. Mostly they're pretty reasonable, but they were all glad to see the Longwhorn Conference survive. When I talk to them they just keep referring to the money over and over. One asked me snidely the other day: "How many nationally televised games did TCU play last year, not including the Mtn?" I asked him why the Mtn. didn't count and he just laughed and made some crappy comment about exposure etc.

Talking to these people is somewhat like what I imagine folks who have been on drugs and gotten clean feel when they talk to junkies. These helpless souls are sitting there watching a successful football program in TCU show them how there can be life after UT, but all they can say is, "at least we're in the Big XII. We'd be that good if we were in the MWC."

It's sad. I want no part of it, ever. I never want to be in a conference with UT again, unless the alternative is total oblivion [like being in the WAC alone with a bunch of girl's colleges]. Sharing a conference with UT is like shooting heroine.

PurplePutt

I think most of our games were on Verses or CBSC anyway. You could have probably said 9 or 10 and been correct. Did you ask him how many Baylor games were on national TV (or any TV for that matter)?

Limey Frog

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Jul 5 2010, 01:44 PM) [snapback]593263[/snapback]
I think most of our games were on Verses or CBSC anyway. You could have probably said 9 or 10 and been correct. Did you ask him how many Baylor games were on national TV (or any TV for that matter)?

The individual in question is far beyond the point at which reasons stands even the slenderest chance of prevailing over him. Which makes him about average for a Baylor alum, I suppose.

I've said all along that Baylor and Tech will not achieve any end of year prominence (and never have) in football until they get away from UT... In the last 50 years, neither has ended a football season with more than one top 10 finish and perhaps none...

The same applied to TCU from 1960 until 2005... it wasn't until we got out from under the spell of Big Brother that we achieved national prominence... Like Baylor and Tech, we couldn't see our way out and prayed that half measures would get us out of the woods (i.e. the right hiring of a coach or a facilities upgrade)... All three of us had some mid season mirage that gave hope but didn't get us there- i.e. Tech's 2008 mid season run that culminated in a non-top 10 finish without a BCS bowl and its 1976 11-1 season that didn't even get them a top 10 finish, Baylor's 1980 run ended with a crushing loss in the Cotton Bowl and a non-top 10 finish and the 1974 run was miraculous but yet again no cigar at the end after Penn State pummelled them in the Cotton Bowl... Tech's only Cotton Bowl came after a 5 way conf tie in 1994 (with the real winner- A&M- ineligible- only UH and SMU were non-winners) and a terrible 55-10 beating by USC...

Point is, neither can see that they will be much better off without the pimp money...

roddog

Banned
QUOTE(Westover Hillbilly @ Jul 5 2010, 08:34 PM) [snapback]593293[/snapback]
The same applied to TCU from 1960 until 2005... it wasn't until we got out from under having to play in a top conference in football that we achieved national prominence...

fixed your post for you hillbilly

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 5 2010, 07:17 PM) [snapback]593324[/snapback]
My team got pummelled 12-3 in a most embarrassing fashion by a team that doesn't play in a "top" conference.

Fixed yours too, roddog.

roddog

Banned
QUOTE(Frognosticator @ Jul 5 2010, 11:44 PM) [snapback]593328[/snapback]
Fixed yours too, roddog.

when your in a big conf i dont think you can use the word pummeled in a game where you dont get into the endzone, but when you get in 10 times you can :biggrin:

back_in_black

Moderators
QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 6 2010, 12:06 AM) [snapback]593332[/snapback]
when your in a big conf i dont think you can use the word pummeled in a game where you dont get into the endzone, but when you get in 10 times you can :biggrin:

Have fun watching TT attempt to score points with the unemployed coach you guys hired. Boreball is about to overcome Jones Stadium.

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 5 2010, 08:06 PM) [snapback]593332[/snapback]

Considering how we kept your top scoring offense to 3 points and just over 200 yards total offense with two freshman CBs in only their 3rd game ever, that's a pummelling.

roddog

Banned
QUOTE(Frognosticator @ Jul 6 2010, 12:15 AM) [snapback]593335[/snapback]
Considering how we kept your top scoring offense to 3 points and just over 200 yards total offense with two freshman CBs in only their 3rd game ever, that's a pummelling.

those cbs looked all world against a qb starting his 3rd game ever didnt they

back_in_black

Moderators
QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 6 2010, 12:26 AM) [snapback]593336[/snapback]
those cbs looked all world against a qb starting his 3rd game ever didnt they

Those were Freshman CB's making their 3rd start btw....

Trelvis

I just remember all the Tech fans leaving after this happened

n18304049309186837879.jpg