• The KillerFrogs

Tuberville scolded over comments.

QUOTE(roddog @ Jul 5 2010, 06:17 PM) [snapback]593324[/snapback]
fixed your post for you hillbilly

Roddog, thanks for your "fixing" but it goes to show that you're missing the point altogether... My point is that Baylor, Tech and TCU had woefully few moments of significant competence from 1960 on, and those few teams that did ALL petered out before the end of those very few seasons...

Tech belongs in a slower heat, so does Baylor, so does TCU... You haven't won a conference championship in over 50 years (other than that cheap 6 way in '94 and perhaps another shared one with UH in '76)... What makes you think it is going to occur in the next 50? The odds aren't any better for the next 50 as they were in the last 50...

What good does that extra money do you? It lets you join UT's prison cell while wearing your pants backward with the zipper open and then go out in the prison yard to brag about it- you may see it as an honor but the rest of the asylum pities you...

SFA Frog

QUOTE(Westover Hillbilly @ Jul 5 2010, 10:24 PM) [snapback]593372[/snapback]
Tech belongs in a slower heat, so does Baylor, so does TCU... You haven't won a conference championship in over 50 years (other than that cheap 6 way in '94 and perhaps another shared one with UH in '76)... What makes you think it is going to occur in the next 50? The odds aren't any better for the next 50 as they were in the last 50...

You learn something every day. I never realized that Tech has never won an unshared conference championship outside of the Border Conference.

1 1937 8-4-0 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
2 1942 4-5-1 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Co-Champions
3 1947 6-5-0 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
4 1948 7-3-0 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
5 1949 7-5-0 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
6 1951 7-4-0 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
7 1953 11-1-0 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
8 1954 7-2-1 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
9 1955 7-3-1 Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association Champions
10 1976 10-2-0 Southwest Conference Co-Champions
11 1994 6-6-0 Southwest Conference Co-Champions
12 2008 11-2-0 Big 12 - South Division Co-Champions

Limey Frog

QUOTE(SFA Frog @ Jul 5 2010, 10:36 PM) [snapback]593375[/snapback]
You learn something every day. I never realized that Tech has never won an unshared conference championship outside of the Border Conference.

"At least we're in the Big XII and not the crappy MWC like you losers!"

crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg

QUOTE(SFA Frog @ Jul 5 2010, 10:36 PM) [snapback]593375[/snapback]

10 1976 10-2-0 Southwest Conference Co-Champions
11 1994 6-6-0 Southwest Conference Co-Champions
12 2008 11-2-0 Big 12 - South Division Co-Champions

If you were a university president and getting ready to hire an Athletic Director or a Head Football Coach and asked them if they considered having 3 co-championships in 52 years and none outright, no top ten finishes and no prominent bowls, would that be considered a pathetic performance? The answer would absolutely have to be Hell Yes from any candidate...

It has been a pathetic performance... And it will continue to be for the next 50 years unless they wake up and follow TCU's model... UT will not allow Tech to achieve prominence- hasn't happened and won't- history has proven it time and time and time again...

Houston Frog

I think Tech's lack of football achievements as a program has more to do with their school's location and coaching hires than it has to do with being in the same conference as UT.

joejordan

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jul 6 2010, 12:08 PM) [snapback]593554[/snapback]
I think Tech's lack of football achievements as a program has more to do with their school's location and coaching hires than it has to do with being in the same conference as UT.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Taxes is the reason for Techs relevance and irrelevance. aggie is their competition (now OSU a bit), but they are merely fodder for 13- 0's comfortable stall. But, like an alcoholic, they can't give up the juice.

Behind the scenes Coach Tuberville is getting paddled on the exposed buttocks right now as we speak by Texas. How dare you say everything isn't perfect. Coach, "Thank you sir may I have another one." Soon you will hear a statement by Coach stating, "The Big 12 - 2 equals Big 10, but we can't say that since the Big 10 owns it and has 11 teams.... um ah um ah; OUr conference is great I am happy." Thank you comrades I mean colleagues. LOL this is too much fun!

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 6 2010, 11:31 AM) [snapback]593580[/snapback]
I couldn't disagree with you more. Taxes is the reason for Techs relevance and irrelevance. aggie is their competition (now OSU a bit), but they are merely fodder for 13- 0's comfortable stall. But, like an alcoholic, they can't give up the juice.

Crunch, you are so dead right on... They have been living in UT's Company Town for 52 years as a pauper tenant and are so dependent on the company store that they can't wean themselves and see what's outside the gate...

I do agree that their geography hurts them but their hires have no better or worse than anybody elses over the long years- they've had good ones and bad ones...

Their geography is challenging, but unless they move their campus to DFW, it will always be challenging... This said, they may be a better fit geographically in the MWC than in any other league... Plus, they could WIN something meaningful... I could see Tech in a plateau with BYU and actually be challenge for a NC every decade or so and have top 10 finishes routinely... Aint happened in the SWC/Big 12 in 52 and aint going to happen in the next 52...

joejordan

Would Tech's last 4 years even help MWC in our goal of auto bid status? Perhaps as an addition, but not in place of, say, BYU.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 6 2010, 11:31 AM) [snapback]593580[/snapback]

OU seems to do just fine playing in the same conference as Texas.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 6 2010, 03:24 PM) [snapback]593774[/snapback]
Would Tech's last 4 years even help MWC in our goal of auto bid status? Perhaps as an addition, but not in place of, say, BYU.

Only 2 years so far. 2008 and 2009.

Hypothetically speaking, yes, because the one criteria where the MWC is lacking is overall computer ranking of the entire conference. Any average to above-average team would help. As a replacement to BYU its probably a wash or slightly in BYU's favor - remember, Tech had a hell of a year in '08 (4th in the computers).

joejordan

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jul 6 2010, 04:27 PM) [snapback]593776[/snapback]
OU seems to do just fine playing in the same conference as Texas.

We're not talking about OU. OU is the flagship program in a football crazy state, with a strong history of championships. Completely different. Nebraska is too, but look how that worked out for them, vis a vis Taxes?

Houston Frog

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 6 2010, 03:33 PM) [snapback]593781[/snapback]
We're not talking about OU. OU is the flagship program in a football crazy state, with a strong history of championships. Completely different. Nebraska is too, but look how that worked out for them, vis a vis Taxes?

I understand the difference between OU and Tech, OU is a storied program and Tech is not. But to read your posts, one would think it is impossible to have a successful program if you have to play in the same conference as Texas. I was giving an example of a very successful program who plays in their same division.

It didn't work out for Nebraska because of their coaching staff. It did work out for OU because of their coaching staff. If Nebraska had hired Stoops, they would be doing great. If OU had hired Solich and Callahan, they would be doing crappy.... it had nothing to do with being in the same conference as Texas for either program.

The reason TCU started doing well in the late 90's is because of Gary Patterson and LT, not because we're in a different conference than Texas.

It's all about coaching and the overall appeal of a university. Tech has had an average program for years because they are the 3rd or 4th public school option in the state of Texas, and they are in a crap town in the middle of a desert. They could have been in the PAC 10, the SWC, or the WAC, and they still would have been an average program unless they made some amazing coaching hires, I don't think being in the same conference as Texas is the reason at all.

I understand people's dislike for the University of Texas, I really do, but I think people blame them for WAY too much.

Frog Attack II

Besides the Red River game every year, OU wasn't tied to Texas until the Big 12 joined, so they had their own identity (Big 8) where they ruled the roost w/ Nebraska... everyone else was their Tech.

To TT's credit though, they've proven that they can beat OU & UT every now & then... unfortunately for them though, they just can't get out of Big Brother's "loving" embrace and be their own man. They're hooked. Literally.

joejordan

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jul 6 2010, 04:45 PM) [snapback]593788[/snapback]
I understand the difference between OU and Tech, OU is a storied program and Tech is not. But to read your posts, one would think it is impossible to have a successful program if you have to play in the same conference as Texas. I was giving an example of a very successful program who plays in their same division.

It didn't work out for Nebraska because of their coaching staff. It did work out for OU because of their coaching staff. If Nebraska had hired Stoops, they would be doing great. If OU had hired Solich and Callahan, they would be doing crappy.... it had nothing to do with being in the same conference as Texas for either program.

The reason TCU started doing well in the late 90's is because of Gary Patterson and LT, not because we're in a different conference than Texas.

It's all about coaching and the overall appeal of a university. Tech has had an average program for years because they are the 3rd or 4th public school option in the state of Texas, and they are in a crap town in the middle of a desert. They could have been in the PAC 10, the SWC, or the WAC, and they still would have been an average program unless they made some amazing coaching hires, I don't think being in the same conference as Texas is the reason at all.

I understand people's dislike for the University of Texas, I really do, but I think people blame them for WAY too much.

Not quite. I say it is impossible for TT to sustain any level of true success while in the same conference as Taxes. That has been proven. Solich and Callahan were both successful and respected coaches...not sure they caused the downfall of Nebraska. I think scholly limits and tougher NCAA scrutiny had as much to do with it as coaching, if not more. Compared to Lubbock, Lincoln and Norman aren't exactly dream destinations. Lincoln is in a desert of it's own kind and Norman...even Oklahomans will tell you it sucks. BTW, I've lived in both Lubbock and Omaha. I liked living in Lubbock (right out of college), and I loved the town of Omaha. I'd take Lubbock over Lincoln, though.

Bottom line: without Taxes, TT is nothing. And quite frankly, the rest of the Big12-2 would really suffer if it weren't for Taxes presence. Just not enough eyeballs and national interest in the remaining schools, OU included. I look for a decline.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Frog Attack II @ Jul 6 2010, 03:48 PM) [snapback]593791[/snapback]
Besides the Red River game every year, OU wasn't tied to Texas until the Big 12 joined

Well, except for one trying to out-cheat the other for prized Texas high school recruits ...

joejordan

Besides the Red River Rivalry, OU has NO premier conference games. That looks like dependency on Taxes to me. And why? Have you seen the number of Texans on the OU roster?

Latest posts