• The KillerFrogs

"Truly, there is a special place in Hell for people who buy Rose Bowl tickets with the sole intentio

geefrogs

Pretty wild opinion article from the Badger Herald the other day. Not sure if it was posted on here already but man, they are really going after these people! Kinda scary.

http://badgerherald.com/oped/2010/12/05/the_worst_people_on_.php

stell91

Haha this is great. I love student newspapers, and I wholeheartedly agree that these are the worst people on campus.

AUFrog

Pretty wild opinion article from the Badger Herald the other day. Not sure if it was posted on here already but man, they are really going after these people! Kinda scary.

http://badgerherald.com/oped/2010/12/05/the_worst_people_on_.php
I don't see the major problem w/ it other than most student journalists don't understand/appreciate the free market. If I'm a student who's struggling w/ debt, I might look for ways to make money, too, such as being first in-line/on-line to buy tickets to the Rose Bowl and selling those tickets for whatever profit the marketplace would allow.

The most interesting thing from clicking on the link was this quote from a survey on the sexual behavior of UW-Madison student body: "For a group that’s half Christian and of which more than a fifth have possibly never experienced an orgasm, a surprisingly high number have used food erotically and had sex with relatives."
I understand it gets really cold and there are probably extended periods when people don't want to leave their house/farm, but come on.

shetownbucky

and had sex with relatives."
I understand it gets really cold and there are probably extended periods when people don't want to leave their house/farm, but come on.

To be fair, that stat was a whooping 1.3% of nearly 4,000 respondents. And something tells me if the sample size was increased, that number would go down.

SnoSki

I think that the students who bought tickets to sell again are smart. It's just like the people who buy the latest video game console to resell it at 20x the cost. I see nothing wrong with that.

Frog89

Many in Wisconsin think there is a special place in hell reserved for any American company that makes a small profit, too. The way this first reads, you would think they were posting child molester names.... totally over the top ridiculous in my opinion. The editors who outed them like criminals should be ashamed. Putting your own info on FB or Craigs List is one thing. But to be outed like a criminal by a newspaper for doing something legal is pretty low. Not an attorney, but I would hope if anything happened to any of those students, the paper would be liable.

Zubaz

So, let's review: Student tickets have a firm price ceiling well below what the open market will pay for these tickets. Shockingly, this is leading to shortages. Some students have used the economics lesson that their University has provided them (or their middle school, which is where this lesson was first taught) and figured out that you could buy at a price well below market value, sell at a price that demand warrants, and make a pretty penny on it for something that they may desire more than a trip to Pasadena, and they are being called traitors? Please.

BK4TCU

If I was a WU student and my name got put in that paper, I would probably double my asking price. I think that's a terrible thing for a school newspaper to do to their students and I hope the Daily Skiff would never do anything like that.

frogbyproxy

If I was a WU student and my name got put in that paper, I would probably double my asking price. I think that's a terrible thing for a school newspaper to do to their students and I hope the Daily Skiff would never do anything like that.

Why! Do you have some for sale! I'll take two. :laugh:

Go Frogs!

BK4TCU

Why! Do you have some for sale! I'll take two. :laugh:

Go Frogs!

:laugh: Sorry, no tickets here.

Graduating from TCU + continuing education elsewhere = Ineligible for cheaper student tickets + not much money to spare anyway.

Great thing about our program is that I expect it to continue it's rise and remain excellent! I can't wait for one of my family holiday traditions to include heading to TCU bowl games! (or maybe playoff games by that time, who knows)

TnTx13

Keep in mind, this is the People's Republic of Madison. They don't believe in capitalism or the profit motive.

ROFL!!! Yep, Madison has ALWAYS been a safe harbor for the most liberal of liberal educators.... It's interesting to see the reaction of the posters here - the free enterprise system is alive and well in Horned Frog country!

michaelperrytcu

That is not capitalism. Capitalism is about creating a novel idea or improving on another and being better relative to the competition. Scalping tickets is hardly the American Dream. This was called d-bagism.

And I'm glad you paid attention during the first week of intro economics so you could deliver that insightful and deep lecture, but for those going on about a price ceiling when there is a market for it... the ceiling is there for a reason. Those tickets were not intended for the open market, they were intended for students. Most students can't afford them if they aren't subsidized a little bit. This is collegiate sports, not the NFL. Part of the allure and uniqueness comes from having a student section. And if you don't include the students now, how do you expect big, loyal donors to contribute once they make their money?

What about when someone on KillerFrogs has a few extra tickets? For frogs, usually they only ask for what they paid to recoup their costs. Could they have charged more? Absolutely. A university is a community, and that's a pretty cool thing you don't get in other aspects of life. If you don't its that cool, go be a cowboys fan and pay $500 to watch that bs.

2314@work

Contributor

http://badgerherald...._people_on_.php
"I perform a service ... and the service costs money."
damone.jpg

michaelperrytcu

"I perform a service ... and the service costs money."

They are not providing a service. The school provided the service by being the medium with which to purchase tickets through. A service adds value. These d-bag students performed a disservice because they actually made it more difficult for students seeking tickets by making them go out of their way further to track down where to buy tickets when the school had them in the first place, and even then, have to pay higher for them.

2314@work

Contributor
They are not providing a service. The school provided the service by being the medium with which to purchase tickets through. A service adds value. These d-bag students performed a disservice because they actually made it more difficult for students seeking tickets by making them go out of their way further to track down where to buy tickets when the school had them in the first place, and even then, have to pay higher for them.
Uh, it was a joke.