• The KillerFrogs

Trevone Boykin

P

peterbecket

TCU needs to give him a shot at playing as a true freshman. The dude is legit and has the makings of a championship QB in a few years. It would be a shame to let someone like that ride the bench for 4 years. Boykin may be the only chance TCU has of beating Boise at Boise.

As for Urban Meyers comments out of left field.....TCU has arrived. I noticed he didn't make any bitter comments about A$M although he may consider them a basketball school.

berryfrog95

I don't see why not....let him compete and see what happens.....I really need to see if M Brown is the real deal or not too though....

Dtx_Frog_Fan

I hope pachall earns the job after a knockdown battle with brown. that wlll give Boykin another year to start assuming he's redshirted.

TCU2012

Redshirt him. Matt just got redshirted and will be behind Casey for two years, and then Trevone will/should follow suit. I think he's going to be stellar as well, but I'd rather him have at least two full years where he's the for sure option.

If he can beat Matt out after Casey graduates, then it won't really matter if we redshirted him or not.

ThisIsOurTime

You always want your quarterbacks to redshirt. Qbs have the most to learn more than any other position. An extra year simply learning the offense is invaluable to them. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to get perspective and get the other aspects of college life in order like your grades, social life, etc. If he is as good as you think, there is also no reason why you would want him to play for just one game. if TCU doesn't go to a BCS game this year, it is no big deal as we have gone the last 2 years. However, playing him this year could lead to us to not having him in his 5th year where he could make the difference in us winning a national championship. Regardless, the coach did say he will have an opportunity to compete so if he will get a chance to make his case to not redshirt.

ShreveFrog

Well, heck yeah if he's the best. But I'd be surprised if he can beat out guys who've already been in the program a year or two. But let's see. My prediction: Casey, Brown, Sam Carter or Settle as emergency #3, Boykin redshirts.

cctcu

Redshirt him. Matt just got redshirted and will be behind Casey for two years, and then Trevone will/should follow suit. I think he's going to be stellar as well, but I'd rather him have at least two full years where he's the for sure option.

If he can beat Matt out after Casey graduates, then it won't really matter if we redshirted him or not.

There's been some talk out there that Casey needs to really mature if he's going to be the one leading the team this fall. Matt Brown may have all the tools to get the job done; it will be interesting to see what settles out, if any, after spring drills.

HFrog1999

How many mental health professionals will have to be called into Boise when TCU goes up there and kicks their asses? Will it affect the potato crop? Can I go ahead and invest in potato futures?

oldscribe

Well, heck yeah if he's the best. But I'd be surprised if he can beat out guys who've already been in the program a year or two. But let's see. My prediction: Casey, Brown, Sam Carter or Settle as emergency #3, Boykin redshirts.
What worked great for Dalton was redshirting, but traveling with team and learning as No. 3.....hope it works as well for Brown, and it's a good idea to do the same with Boykin. It takes a while to learn the keys and make the decision like we are used to AD doing.

Let them all compete and the best man win. I tell you what though our defense will be a ton better this year think about our Scout Team Offense going against our first string defense! Our Scout Team Offense may be better than any team we play this year's offense and no I am not joking.

McFroggin

No reason at all to play Boykin. He 100% redshirts. With Casey and Matt prepared in the system already, no way Boykin starts for at least 2 years.

Dogfrog

No reason at all to play Boykin. He 100% redshirts. With Casey and Matt prepared in the system already, no way Boykin starts for at least 2 years.

I agree he should redshirt, and I agree that it makes sense that either Casey or Matt will be prepared to start the next couple years, but IMO nothing is decided this far in advance by GP, which is a big reason for his success. If a RS freshman came out and clearly outclassed a soph and junior in spring and fall, I think GP would start him.

P

purplePPO

You always want your quarterbacks to redshirt. Qbs have the most to learn more than any other position. An extra year simply learning the offense is invaluable to them. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to get perspective and get the other aspects of college life in order like your grades, social life, etc. If he is as good as you think, there is also no reason why you would want him to play for just one game. if TCU doesn't go to a BCS game this year, it is no big deal as we have gone the last 2 years. However, playing him this year could lead to us to not having him in his 5th year where he could make the difference in us winning a national championship. Regardless, the coach did say he will have an opportunity to compete so if he will get a chance to make his case to not redshirt.

+1 I agree with your post 100%. IF he can legitamatly beat out the other two QB's hands down then let him play, but if there is a decision on who is better then just red shirt him and let him grow, mature and learn. Go Frogs!

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Have I missed something? Has Boykin enrolled at TCU so he can be in spring practices? If so, he might get a shot, but I highly doubt a true freshman can step in during the fall and beat out both Pachall and Brown by such a huge margin after they have been in the program for over a year each.

I fully trust our coaches to choose the correct starting QB based on Spring Ball and then Fall Ball. I have no idea who it will be and we can speculate until the end of time. I hope no one gets injured, but that could be a huge factor in the competition. Whoever it is will have earned it I can promise that.

SnoopFrogs11

If he was connected to somone at TCU maybe he won't redshirt but most likely he will. It will be good for him to learn the system for a year. I'm sure he'll be real good down the road.