• The KillerFrogs

Trent Dilfer: CFB "super league" within 18-24 months?

Big Frog II

From a TV revenue standpoint, the DFW market is already covered with UT, OU and A&M. I don't think TV ratings here for college football would materially change if TCU were left out of the mix.

And people might say, well, the Big 10 went after Rutgers because of the New York TV market. Yes, they did to a degree, but Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey and has 50,000 undergrads, so there's that too.
Rutgers fans who could care less about football.

Frozen Frog

My guess is TCU is probably around 55 in terms of desirability. That assumes every cut BIG and SEC school stays. Less than 50 and TCU is out. At 60 TCU is moving forward.

Even if there is another wave of expansion I could see some contraction in the distant future. I think there is going to be a sweet spot that I see schools like some of the lower power teams/upper mid majors move towards. They will remain in the NCAA. NIL will go away. Conferences will become more regional. If that happens I am guessing those schools will be the winners. The conference payouts will probably be similar to what the Big 12 is currently making. The costs to run the athletic departments though will be significantly lower.

Frozen Frog

I think there is a growing fear that major college athletics will destroy universities. The cost to compete might push a school to lose money. Donations will be made to athletic departments and not academics. How much is the athletic department worth to these institutions?

Wexahu

My guess is TCU is probably around 55 in terms of desirability. That assumes every cut BIG and SEC school stays. Less than 50 and TCU is out. At 60 TCU is moving forward.

Even if there is another wave of expansion I could see some contraction in the distant future. I think there is going to be a sweet spot that I see schools like some of the lower power teams/upper mid majors move towards. They will remain in the NCAA. NIL will go away. Conferences will become more regional. If that happens I am guessing those schools will be the winners. The conference payouts will probably be similar to what the Big 12 is currently making. The costs to run the athletic departments though will be significantly lower.
I thought no NIL was deemed against the law? How is it going to go away?

Wexahu

Rutgers fans who could care less about football.
You mean couldn't care less. Maybe so, but Rutgers football has been in the gutter for a good while now, and they still drew more TV eyeballs on average than 25 other P5 programs. What kind of numbers would they bring if they went on a run of really good seasons?

When teams are really good, people will watch, almost no matter what. It's how many people will watch when they aren't good that is just as much, if not more, important to the powers that be. We had good numbers last year even though we stunk, averaged 1.42M viewers per game which was good for 28th in the country. But we were coming off a NCG appearance, I imagine unless we have a big bounce back year, those numbers will drop substantially.

Wexahu

TCU, Tech, Ok State, K State, and Baylor are better than Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska, etc... The idea of a 48 team east coast league is a deal breaker for me. I hate the NFL. I REALLY HATE JERRY JONES. THAT MOTHER scheissER RUINED THE COWBOYS to the point I quit watching decades ago. Anything that takes cfb further in that direction is going to kill cfb. Next, you'll have Minnesota drafting players out of Duncaville for their [ Finebaum ]ty football team.
Well, if Minnesota is able to draft kids out of Duncanville, they probably won't be [ Finebaum ]ty much longer. If NIL is here to stay, a player draft would be great for the game IMO. The money-whipping would immediately stop and we'd have real parity where things like talent evaluation, coaching, and player development really do make a difference.

Being a Longhorn fan, I'm sure you want to keep money-whipping central to the game because it's the only chance y'all have to be successful.

4 Oaks Frog

Only three schools from Texas in the Super League.....................I find that hard to believe. And why would KSU and OSU get in above us? If it goes to 48, then I like our chances - a big reason is we are located next to a major airport that is easy to travel with.
Seems to me that TV would demand that a market as big as D/FW not be left out…thus inclusion of TCU would be logical. We better start winning…

Wexahu

Seems to me that TV would demand that a market as big as D/FW not be left out…thus inclusion of TCU would be logical. We better start winning…
If Northwestern were not already in the Big 10, do you think they'd be a real attractive team to the Super League because they are in Chicago? Do you think Vandy brings the Nashville market? Would Tulane bring the New Orleans market? What about Temple and the Philadelphia market?

4 Oaks Frog

If Northwestern were not already in the Big 10, do you think they'd be a real attractive team to the Super League because they are in Chicago? Do you think Vandy brings the Nashville market? Would Tulane bring the New Orleans market? What about Temple and the Philadelphia market?
I don’t know Mr. Know It All, what are all of us dummies supposed to think. Standing by for instructions…

Wexahu

I don’t know Mr. Know It All, what are all of us dummies supposed to think. Standing by for instructions…
I just asked you some questions. Why can't you just answer.

I'm far from Mr. Know It All but I try and pay attention and not have my head buried in the sand. I think some people are in denial tbh. The TV networks don't need TCU to capture the DFW TV market, that should be plainly obvious to anyone. And if TCU would bring the DFW market to, say, the Big 10, we'd have already been invited.

4 Oaks Frog

I just asked you some questions. Why can't you just answer.

I'm far from Mr. Know It All but I try and pay attention and not have my head buried in the sand. I think some people are in denial tbh. The TV networks don't need TCU to capture the DFW TV market, that should be plainly obvious to anyone. And if TCU would bring the DFW market to, say, the Big 10, we'd have already been invited.
Why do I need to answer your questions. It is obvious that you already have all the answers. I bet you are cute, too…

Frozen Frog

Well, if Minnesota is able to draft kids out of Duncanville, they probably won't be [ Finebaum ]ty much longer. If NIL is here to stay, a player draft would be great for the game IMO. The money-whipping would immediately stop and we'd have real parity where things like talent evaluation, coaching, and player development really do make a difference.

Being a Longhorn fan, I'm sure you want to keep money-whipping central to the game because it's the only chance y'all have to be successful.

Minnesota has gotten some Texas kids. There is a reason they hired Wacker and tried to hire Patterson. Minnesota’s biggest problem is they still think they are in Bernie Bierman era where they are a national brand. That when paired with their problems of being able to keep kids in state has led to one disaster after another.

Toad Jones

From a TV revenue standpoint, the DFW market is already covered with UT, OU and A&M. I don't think TV ratings here for college football would materially change if TCU were left out of the mix.

And people might say, well, the Big 10 went after Rutgers because of the New York TV market. Yes, they did to a degree, but Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey and has 50,000 undergrads, so there's that too.
I see your point, however, Fox or ABC is not going to forget TCU in Lew of Texas,OU or Tech presence. Put yourself in the position of a big marketing exec with this FTW market and try to turn your back on the potential revenue concerning the presence of UT, Tech or OU.. Remember, TV depends on LG and medium businesses to buy or use their products. TV doesn't sell products, they sell advertising to businesses in this area that uses the service of advertising.. Honestly, I'd fire an exec who said D.Ft.W market should be overlooked because of TCU! Don't forget the growing population* of this area, who might become a fan of TCU and end up sending a kid to TCU and buying products of advertising.. TCU will continue to be a super partner in the economics of this area. BTW, TCU will continue to build new dorms for new students. Soon, if they continue, TCU will outgrow -Notre Dame-... Goodness, I forgot Lubbock and TexTech. Is Lubbock more important to the economics of advertising than D.FT W? Comparatively speaking, heck no.

* the WSJ says D/Ft.Worth will one day be more important than LA,etc..

Frogs need to keep winning to continue building on the national appeal they have gained since the 2010 Rose Bowl. People around the nation do like the Frogs, so keep showing that TCU has staying power and coupled with having defeated Michigan in the four-team playoff, it would then not look good to not include them.

Second - the Frogs have a rich recruiting area which is something that other schools being compared to don’t have relative to DFW and the state of Texas. So that backs up the ability for staying power and should be recognized.

Third - maybe the Big Ten would like a school in Texas, being seen as a recruiting benefit for the entire conference which the Big Ten needs some help with relative to the fertile SEC.

Last edited:

LVH

I'm surprised how many people here want TCU to be a part of this [ Finebaum ] show that will destroy college sports.

EVOfrogMR

I too hate where this is headed, but I know I prefer TCU to be included. It keeps TCU football alive in some form; it validates the accomplishments of the program; after our history no one wants to be left out, again; and I don’t want to be left out and see the beautiful stadium and other facilities to become an empty shell and a financial burden on the university.

Most of this stinks, but it’s still better to be inside than out.

Latest posts