• The KillerFrogs

Trent Dilfer: CFB "super league" within 18-24 months?

Limey Frog

TCU has never been left out before, there's obviously nothing to worry about.
Exactly. I'll be the first to cop to the charge that I'm an irrepressible pessimist, but seriously... In three decades of structural chaos in college football due to inter-conference competition for TV dollars, programs leaving one conference for another has worked out in TCU's favor exactly once: when UT calculated (wrongly) that patching up a zombie version of the Big XII and forcing it to accept the LHN was their best path to world domination. We weren't included because "you just can't leave TCU out," we were included out of convenience to the self-aggrandizing scumbags in Austin. The next time TCU's location, on-field success, and very attractive dance squad opens a door for us in the big leagues will be the first.

ShreveFrog

@Limey Frog - But without our success in '08 though the Rose Bowl, the door to the Big XII would not have opened. We've since added wins at the Peach Bowl and CFP Fiesta Bowl. That's something Tech, OSU and KSU can't counter.

HG73

Neither can Rutgers, Maryland, or Nebraska.
Was watching the Monty Show yesterday, they were looking at that 48 team model with Tech, OSU and KSU and the first thing out of their mouth was "Where's TCU? Can't have a super conference without TCU."

In case you aren't familiar with them they're located in SLC and talk about college football a lot. Definitely not TCU homers.

fanatical frog

That is a long time ago, considering TCU had 3 in 2022 during the regular season. Not sure I see the advantage of Tech when it comes to media deals.

A. Yeah, I don't either. There were some comments a couple days ago that Tech and TCU would have comparable TV audiences when they're both having success but Tech, with their way more living alumni would have higher lows than TCU. My thought on that is that Tech (when they're having success) will have good numbers when their opponent brings them. And when they're not having success they'll have mostly whatever numbers their opponent brings .....so in that case I could see most Tech fans just counting days until basketball and baseball start. Just because a school has tons of living alumni doesn't mean they'd spend 3.5 hours on a beautiful fall afternoon in front of a tv to watch a perennially losing team lose again.

And, B. It's a moot point anyway because Tech ain't getting an invite to the SEC....not matter what some click-bait publication says.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

B. It's a moot point anyway because Tech ain't getting an invite to the SEC....not matter what some click-bait publication says.
It will all depend on whether Pettiti and Sankey decide to green light a new subdivision for major college football that incorporates their conferences plus whichever others can meet whatever terms are set for paying players, or whether they just decide to evolve their two conferences alone into that subdivision (NFL & AFL-like). If they do the latter, they will need to add quite a few more programs. TCU may or may not be one of them. If they do the former, the Big 12 will be in albeit as a second class citizen (though we already are that).

If the new subdivision does include more than just the two richest conferences, I think the Big 12 will end up with several current ACC programs eventually and be the clear number three, above all the others but still substantially worse off than the Big Ten and SEC. If the former happens, the door to fortune will either be opened or closed to TCU football forever.

LVH

Is the coming consolidation/super league/breakaway more about performance than butts and eyeballs though?
Its about the SEC/Big 10 enriching themselves. That's all its about. They want Joe from the Bronx who didn't go to college and only watches pro sports to start watching college football.

I don't want TCU to be a part of this stupid ass super league. I want to be on the sidelines so I can watch it burn.

Really hope Yormark and the ACC commissioner tell the SEC/Big 10 to scheiss off at some point.

Limey Frog

I really hope Yormark and the ACC commissioner tell the SEC/Big 10 to scheiss off at some point.
Honestly, I'd be fine with that so long as all the programs currently in the Big 12 and those of similar stature in the ACC were together. I would be happy enough to watch a kind of major college football division 2 that included TCU and programs like Baylor, Tech, OSU, Utah, BYU, Pitt, VT, etc. The nightmare scenario is being left out in the cold with SMU, Tulane and Memphis.

fanatical frog

I don't want TCU to be a part of this stupid ass super league. I want to be on the sidelines so I can watch it burn.
I like the B12 as it will be configured this fall. If we can keep that into the future and keep the ACC viable that would be my position "A". And I don't care at all to have TCU to have to go to Ann Arbor or Columbus or happy valley in November. And I don't want to ever be in the same conference with Texas or Texas A & M again.

Really hope Yormark and the ACC commissioner tell the SEC/Big 10 to scheiss off at some point.

From what we've seen of Yormark this far I think it's a good bet he's already working a plan to keep the B12 healthy.

@Limey Frog - But without our success in '08 though the Rose Bowl, the door to the Big XII would not have opened. We've since added wins at the Peach Bowl and CFP Fiesta Bowl. That's something Tech, OSU and KSU can't counter.

Sometimes in life if it is better to be lucky than good. In this instance, I’m glad Aggie decided to trade success for SEC money. Otherwise, TCU does not get the Big 12 invite. TCU was very lucky Aggie jumped ship then rather 5 or 10 years earlier. With that being said, TCU has more shown than the ability to pull its weight in the Big 12. I have no doubt that TCU would pull its weight in the Big 10. I suspect TCU would be blackball from the SEC especially after the national championship game debacle.

I like the B12 as it will be configured this fall. If we can keep that into the future and keep the ACC viable that would be my position "A". And I don't care at all to have TCU to have to go to Ann Arbor or Columbus or happy valley in November. And I don't want to ever be in the same conference with Texas or Texas A & M again.

From what we've seen of Yormark this far I think it's a good bet he's already working a plan to keep the B12 healthy.
I doubt Aggie wants any part of playing TCU ever again. They have played TCU only once in a bowl game in almost 30 years. The team they beat was not very good in 2001.

Given what has happened in the Big 12, I bet Texas wants no part of playing TCU considering how they got dominated since joining the Big 12.

Latest posts