• The KillerFrogs

Trent Dilfer: CFB "super league" within 18-24 months?

FroginBedford68

@Limey Frog - I gotcha. Well, either way, TCU and the rest got dumped.
For a few years after the 1996 dump, there were those hopefuls who consistently said TCU was on the bubble for Big 12 expansion....Don't recall that there was serious discussion about that possibility, but recall that it took 16 years for that bubble to pop up....And we all remember it was a desperate response by Big 12 to replace TexAM and Missouri....IIRC, Colorado and Nebraska had already bailed....

OICU812

I think you're selling Tech and OSU short, and maybe KSU too. Location starts becoming less and less important the more this turns into a football-only thing. Lubbock, Stillwater and Manhattan have airports and they all fly charter, it's arguably an easier trip to fly in to those cities than it is Fort Worth.
For teams, yes. Fans, no.

The B1G can't wait to recruit Lubbock, Stillwater and Manhattan KS.
The Big 10 certainly did not worry about that when they added Nebraska. They care most about what the networks want more than anything. Back when the SWC fell apart, the SEC did not add Arkansas because of recruiting the area. The Big 8 chose NOT to add anyone from DFW or Houston despite being the best areas to recruit in Texas.

Wexahu

For teams, yes. Fans, no.
Well.....OSU and Tech (and I suppose K=State as well) have more fans than we do. But I don't think convenience for fans to attend games is anywhere on the radar as far as what their priorities are in picking schools.

They care about eyeballs, and its not just eyeballs when TCU is good and those other schools aren't. I would say those other schools probably have similar ceilings but higher floors when it comes to fan interest.

Wexahu

The Big 10 certainly did not worry about that when they added Nebraska. They care most about what the networks want more than anything. Back when the SWC fell apart, the SEC did not add Arkansas because of recruiting the area. The Big 8 chose NOT to add anyone from DFW or Houston despite being the best areas to recruit in Texas.
Or Oregon and Washington.

Well.....OSU and Tech (and I suppose K=State as well) have more fans than we do. But I don't think convenience for fans to attend games is anywhere on the radar as far as what their priorities are in picking schools.

They care about eyeballs, and it’s not just eyeballs when TCU is good and those other schools aren't. I would say those other schools probably have similar ceilings but higher floors when it comes to fan interest.
Tech, OSU, and KSU all have more fans than TCU. I think those all of those schools definitely have higher floors in viewership than TCU when they and TCU are mediocre / bad. With that being said, I doubt OSU and KSU would have near the amount of eyeballs as TCU when they are all good. However, Tech and maybe Baylor would likely have as many or more eyeballs than TCU when they are good.

Tech may never be good in the newly configured SEC.....so we can eliminate that criteria from the eyeballs consideration.
Texas certainly was not deserving of the SEC when it came to performance on the field. Rutgers and Maryland did earn their membership to the Big 10 based on be good football programs at all. Unfortunately, it is all about markets and eyeballs.

Endless Purple

My question about Tech is when was the last time they had a 4+ million viewer regular season game?
I do not know the answer so it is an actual question.

Viewership will be more important to the networks than fans in the stadium as they don't benefit from stadium numbers.

Tshirt Fan

Whatever they come up with, TCU is going to be in it. Our bed wetting fans don’t understand TCU’s brand value. It is at the top of Big 12 any way you measure it.
TCU has never been left out before, there's obviously nothing to worry about.