• The KillerFrogs

Trent Dilfer: CFB "super league" within 18-24 months?

Limey Frog

There was an interesting discussion on today's Andy Staples podcast, with Cole Cubelic who recently had Trent Dilfer on his radio show in Birmingham. Evidently Difler said that, from conversations he has had with people who know such things, there are high-level discussions going on currently about creating a break-away subdivision for major college football. This would be the Big Ten and SEC plus various ACC and Big 12 programs that are valuable enough to participate.

Staples and Cubelic's discussion is the first 45 minutes below, and Dilfer's comments are excerpted toward the beginning of the episode.

Around 35 minutes Staples and Dilfer start spit-balling about how many teams there would be room for. Dilfer said 50-60. Staples and Cubelic speculated 48 for the sake of having even divisions like the NFL. Obviously it's all speculation, but law suits against the NCAA have blown up the current model and a redesign for college football is coming sooner than later. (Dilfer's number would probably have room for TCU; Staples' likely wouldn't.)

Personally, I'm fine with players being paid, football programs being separated from university administrations as sub-licensed semi-independent "brands," etc. I would like to see roster stability, players remain enrolled students thereby functioning as work-study employees in some capacity, limits on transfers, some effort to secure a degree of parity, and an end to destructive inter-conference raiding of member programs. I just wish that whatever they're going to do they would just get on and do it, instead of making decisions piecemeal. College football has always evolved in a haphazard way, such that while each decision effecting change makes some sense to at least some parties on some level, the whole is a Frankenstein's Monster of irrationality. There are many iterations of how reforms could go, ranging from things that would make college football totally unappealing to things that would make it better than ever. Of course my ultimate red line is whether TCU football is in or out of such a system. If we're cut out, I'm getting off the train and will never watch any of it.

At any rate, maybe the scumbags in control of this thing will tell us sometime in the next two years whether TCU football will be allowed to continue punching above its weight class, or whether they're going to come back around to finish the assassination attempt the 'Whorns and Aggy botched in 1995.

FrogAbroad

It boils down to a "butts 'n' eyeballs" question. If we can't satisfy SEC and B10 leadership on those two points we're destined for the kiddie table.

Benny

Why can't the super conferences, etc be for football only? Let the other sports be in more regional conferences. For example, the PAC 12 should still exist for baseball. It is stupid to make those baseball programs join a limited baseball conference (Big 10) just to follow the football teams. I believe it works that way for lacrosse in a not exactly similar situation. I believe Johns Hopkins and Denver University compete in the Big 10 in only those sports because it makes sense.

Limey Frog

The wildcard here is the Gambling interests. They're in cahoots with the NFL now, and CFB is next up on the agenda. There's more money there than in TV.
Gambling, the Banana Stand of sports.

Why can't the super conferences, etc be for football only? Let the other sports be in more regional conferences. For example, the PAC 12 should still exist for baseball. It is stupid to make those baseball programs join a limited baseball conference (Big 10) just to follow the football teams. I believe it works that way for lacrosse in a not exactly similar situation. I believe Johns Hopkins and Denver University compete in the Big 10 in only those sports because it makes sense.
They will be: that's exactly what's being speculated here, among other things.

Diehard

We just need to win and regain the national momentum we were building before last year. Double digit wins this year would probably do as much for us as the collapse hurt us in 2023. The key would be sustaining it moving forward.

tetonfrog

Only three schools from Texas in the Super League.....................I find that hard to believe. And why would KSU and OSU get in above us? If it goes to 48, then I like our chances - a big reason is we are located next to a major airport that is easy to travel with.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
There was an interesting discussion on today's Andy Staples podcast, with Cole Cubelic who recently had Trent Dilfer on his radio show in Birmingham. Evidently Difler said that, from conversations he has had with people who know such things, there are high-level discussions going on currently about creating a break-away subdivision for major college football. This would be the Big Ten and SEC plus various ACC and Big 12 programs that are valuable enough to participate.

Staples and Cubelic's discussion is the first 45 minutes below, and Dilfer's comments are excerpted toward the beginning of the episode.

Around 35 minutes Staples and Dilfer start spit-balling about how many teams there would be room for. Dilfer said 50-60. Staples and Cubelic speculated 48 for the sake of having even divisions like the NFL. Obviously it's all speculation, but law suits against the NCAA have blown up the current model and a redesign for college football is coming sooner than later. (Dilfer's number would probably have room for TCU; Staples' likely wouldn't.)

Personally, I'm fine with players being paid, football programs being separated from university administrations as sub-licensed semi-independent "brands," etc. I would like to see roster stability, players remain enrolled students thereby functioning as work-study employees in some capacity, limits on transfers, some effort to secure a degree of parity, and an end to destructive inter-conference raiding of member programs. I just wish that whatever they're going to do they would just get on and do it, instead of making decisions piecemeal. College football has always evolved in a haphazard way, such that while each decision effecting change makes some sense to at least some parties on some level, the whole is a Frankenstein's Monster of irrationality. There are many iterations of how reforms could go, ranging from things that would make college football totally unappealing to things that would make it better than ever. Of course my ultimate red line is whether TCU football is in or out of such a system. If we're cut out, I'm getting off the train and will never watch any of it.

At any rate, maybe the scumbags in control of this thing will tell us sometime in the next two years whether TCU football will be allowed to continue punching above its weight class, or whether they're going to come back around to finish the assassination attempt the 'Whorns and Aggy botched in 1995.

Whatever they come up with, TCU is going to be in it. Our bed wetting fans don’t understand TCU’s brand value. It is at the top of Big 12 any way you measure it.

Limey Frog

Whatever they come up with, TCU is going to be in it. Our bed wetting fans don’t understand TCU’s brand value. It is at the top of Big 12 any way you measure it.
I hope you're right. Given the way these decisions get made, I'm afraid I don't share your absolute confidence. I think if the number is more than 50 we've got a decent shot, but if it's in the 40s we could be in trouble.

The people saying that the SEC and Big Ten will drop their bottom feeders are wrong, I think. There's no precedent for any such thing, and legally the only way they could do that would be to dissolve the conference and start over. So if you're starting with 34 programs already, and setting the number below 50, who else do you need room for?

Notre dame, FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, VT, Virginia, NC State, and Pitt from the ACC at least; probably Louisville, too. That's already nine, putting you at 42. If the number is only 48, are you sure TCU is ahead of ten other programs in the new Big 12? I don't mean at playing football, that's irrelevant.