• The KillerFrogs

Todd Dodge to be fired today

geefrogs

University of North Texas is a tough job.

Commuter school, lack of student support. Yes its a big school, enrollment-wise, but I attend graduate school at University of North Texas and there is little to none enthusiasm for the football team.

If they can get into C-USA, that would help.

There are enough prospects in the state of Texas where University of North Texas can become relevant. (relevant in terms of winning their conference again.)

Good luck University of North Texas, I wish their program well.

PurpleBlood87

Sorry things didn't work out for Dodge at North Texas. He was one, if not the best football coach I've ever had the chance to work with. Always amicable and had time for me. I really thought going to North Texas would turn out this way mainly because I didn't think he could get top-flight players there.

Shooter

As long as Rick Venereal is their AD, University of North Texas is screwed.

Gonna have a nice, new empty stadium up there next year.

FRAN will toss his hat in the ring.

'Denton... we're home' - Coach DF

tcudgu-diot will be along soon to tell us who University of North Texas will hire since he knows all.

Word from Horseshoe Bay is Fran is done coaching FWIW. Jeez, did I scoop the all knowing gdu of this one? :laugh:

FirefightnRick

As long as Rick Venereal is their AD, University of North Texas is screwed.

Gonna have a nice, new empty stadium up there next year.

I can't speak for RV while he was at TCU. But considering what he had to work with, and you would have had to be a participating NT alumn within the past 20 years to know how truly bad it was when he arrived, he has reached the college athletics equivalent to raising the dead at North Texas.

Along with the magical 180 RV has been able to accomplish with our facilities building the Mean Green Village, including that bright shiny new stadium on I-35 that is going up right now:

4 Bowl game appearances(the first one was the first in 40 years at NT) within his first five years.

A start up women's soccer program that played in the conference championship 10 years straight.

A start up women's softball program that posted a winning season this year and included a win over Texas.

When RV arrived we had a basketball program that was putting up 4 win seasons. Now NT has posted 3 straight 20+ win seasons and is the only DI college basketball team in DFW to go dancing 2 of the past 4 four years.

Golfstat.com's first rankings came out Sept 22 with North Texas men's team ranked 3rd and the women were ranked 26th.

And finally, despite our pitiful football record the past 5 years and an even worst facility to play in, RV has still managed to build a game day event that has grown with every season. Amazingly, even though the Mean Green faithfull has seen a total of 5 home wins the past five years we still had over 24,000 show up for opening day this year. Hopefully with the next hire and the newest stadium in Texas to recruit to, RV will find the right guy that will help turn this thing around. There is a Gary Patterson out there for us, he just has to find him.

Rick

AEAfrog

And finally, despite our pitiful football record the past 5 years RV has still managed to build a game day event that has grown with every season. Amazingly, even though the Mean Green faithfull has seen a total of 5 home wins the past five years we still had over 24,000 show up for opening day this year. Hopefully with the next hire RV will find the right guy that will help turn this thing around. There is a Gary Patterson out there for us, he just has to find him.

Just out of curiosity, how much of that 24000 is made up of students? I know University of North Texas is a tough draw in Denton. I've just never been sure if it has to do with a lack of support from the locals or from the students themselves (or both). Granted, with 35000 students, the student support problem seems to be more glaring.

FirefightnRick

Just out of curiosity, how much of that 24000 is made up of students? I know University of North Texas is a tough draw in Denton. I've just never been sure if it has to do with a lack of support from the locals or from the students themselves (or both). Granted, with 35000 students, the student support problem seems to be more glaring.

I would have to guess. The student side seats 10,000, so I would have to say between 6,000 and 8,000 maybe? But students sit on the alumni side as well so who knows? Fouts is such a vast open cavern that it's difficult to say but to their credit I thought the students turned out well for what was an already 0-1 team.

Rick

Tom Brown

FWIW...I'm not saying that Dodge doesn't deserve to get the boot, but as long as Rick Villareal is in charge at University of North Texas, they will never accomplish anything. He's an incompetent jerk, treats people horribly, and is in way over his head.

+1

Tom Brown

I can't speak for RV while he was at TCU.

4 Bowl game appearances(the first one was the first in 40 years at NT) within his first five years.

A start up women's soccer program that played in the conference championship 10 years straight.

He was a moron at TCU just like at University of North Texas.

The 4 bowl games were led by a coach that he didn't hire. (Yet, the two worked together at LSU) Then Slick Rick canned him and now look at the mess.

The soccer team was already established and on their way to success before Slick Rick.

How about the successful Women's basketball team he killed too?

Current University of North Texas student here(class of 2014), in fact actually board opped the Todd Dodge press conference and the subsequent talk KNTU did on it(anyone who heard them do it and talk Schultz, I threw them that name). Now as far as Dodge goes, the mood up in Denton is that it was the right decision at the wrong time. A lot of people wanted him to finish the year out, which was addressed in the press conference as the school wanting to get a new coach in to not lose this recruiting class. As far as Dodge's regime, this year is a wash due to the injuries that occurred almost every game(including losing 3 QBs and 2 centers). The previous three years however are what got him fired, and in all reality RV did not want to go into the new stadium with a head coach he didn't trust(Jerry Jones did not heed the same advice). With that said, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new coach. While our station got tips about Fran, Terry Bowden, and Mike Schultz I really think the interim Canalis will end up with the job if the team finishes strong. The players really like him from what I am told by our sports guys who are there daily, and he won't cost much like a Leach or a Schultz might. I don't see University of North Texas really being in the position to make that big of a splash, even with their new stadium because the product in the stadium still needs some work. One name you might want to keep in the VERY back of your mind is the Boise State OC Brian Harsin. Floated by a fellow University of North Texas student, he's a younger guy who might come to Denton and make it Boise South. Brings that same type of spirit Peterson does to Boise, and quite frankly that would be a good thing to me. I just don't see him coming to Denton though, but then again who would have ever thought Boise would have ever gotten to where they are? Just some thoughts, I don't claim to be an expert or anything close to it. Just what I heard and think.

That's interesting about Harsin. Petersen's starting to generate a coaching legacy already.

I think it's more of a situational idea. University of North Texas isn't going to be able to afford a Mack Brown or whatever, so they will have to go grab either a retread looking to reinvent or a young guy looking to make a program his own. Something tells me door #2 will be the one they walk through, and Harsin fits the bill.

DickBumpastache

I heard Jeff Bower is a real player. Has ties to the University of North Texas administration and really wants the job. Plus it's not like he did anything wrong at USM. A very confusing to decision for Southern Miss to let him go. He never even had a losing season in his last 14-15 years.