• The KillerFrogs

To BE or not to BE (long)

Up until now I have tried to keep an open mind with respect to our conference situation, as I truly am torn and see strong arguments both ways. But, as Will Rogers said, he who walks in the middle of the road gets hit by cars going both ways. It's time to make a decision as to which course to advocate. Understanding that there are still many complexities to be resolved, I have reluctantly concluded that we have to take a BE all-sports invitation when/if offered.

I say reluctantly because I truly love the MWC. I enjoy the other teams, their fans, their locations, and the outlaw image we project. Fort Worth is where the West begins, and our conference should reflect it.

In my primary fantasy world, the BCS would crumble and the MWC, WAC and CUSA, at the very least, would have the same type of rights and bowl scheduling arrangements as the AQ conferences have now. In my secondary fantasy world, the MWC would receive immediate AQ status with resulting rearrangements in bowl alignments. Dropping down into more obscure fantasies, we receive an invitation to join the big 12-2.

But, as I tell myself sadly every morning, it's the real world I have to face every day. And in that world I do not believe any of those fantasies is going to come true in the near future. In that case, I see no realistic advantage to TCU in staying in the MWC if we are offered by the BE.

I suppose there is a certain moral purity in turning down entry into the system we all hate. If we did so I would feel very righteous and dignified. But the bottom line for me is, whatever my personal feelings, such a move would be bad for TCU.

We have successfully battled the system, overcome obstacles and defied the odds for a dozen years now, to the point where some seem to believe our current success is a birthright and our herculean efforts will continue to keep us a nationally dominant team in perpetuity. They will not. NO TEAM, regardless of merit, coaching, or spiritual purity can stay on top year in, year out. See: Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ohio State, USC, et. al., ad infinitum.

We have gotten to where we are in a system rigged strongly against us, and this is an astonishing fact and an outstanding tribute to our administration, coaches and players. But every team is subject to the immutable laws of probability at some level, and entropy and regression toward the mean cannot be overcome in perpetuity.

So TCU must contemplate a future in which there will inevitably be years of 8-4, 7-5, God help us even 6-6 or worse. This will happen no matter what conference we are in. What will sustain us through those (mercifully few) periods? How can we remain a nationally prominent team when we are not dominant? And how can we maximize the odds of a quick and periodic return to dominance?

We can best maintain our stature by strong recruiting, continuing fan support and financial stability that allows us to stay competitive in the areas of coaching salaries and facilities. And I believe we can best accomplish these goals through membership in an AQ conference ASAP. Doing so allows us to refute the greatest obstacle to recruiting that we face, to gain access to media and recruiting markets outside Texas, to schedule name-brand opponents and to achieve a significantly higher level of financial stability than we currently enjoy.

I believe we need to seek out AQ membership ASAP precisely because of a fact that some posit as a reason to delay -- the mercurial nature of the college football landscape. The longer we continue to wear the yellow triangle that spells m-i-d-m-a-j-o-r, the longer national commentary can get away with discounting our wins and magnifying our shortcomings, then the more difficult it will be to ensure a seat at the big boy table during the next round of chaos. First choice will go to those already at the table at that time. TCU needs to be at the table. Now.

I'm not overjoyed about the Big East. It is a weak conference and has, at best, a diluted cachet. It will be hard at first to get people excited about home games against many, maybe any, of the teams. We will be slow to build rivalries. They may never happen, especially if the next turn of the cards sends us somewhere else.

But for all its shortcomings, and maybe even the geographical or historical distaste some of us may experience with this association, it simply offers us the best chance to achieve the ONE goal that will legitimize the last dozen years of effort, sacrifice and genius -- AQ status in the current BCS system.

Many good people have given much of themselves and their treasure for many years for TCU to reach the pinnacle we now occupy. For us to be true to these sacrifices, we must make this pinnacle the vaulting-point to the next plateau of success. Only by allowing ourselves to achieve AQ status now, by main force or circumstance, can we fulfill the dream of all Horned Frogs everywhere to compete at the very highest level of college athletics.

My Frogs. In their intercourse with other schools may they always be in the right. But my Frogs, right or wrong!

geno

1. Is there a version of this for dummies?

2. Your last line. Didn't know TCU had intercourse with other schools. Explain.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of our outrageous non-AQ status. Or to take arms against the BCS, and by opposing end it?

Army Frog Fan

As I mentioned in another thread, if we had a similar schedule in the BE this year, here is what the talking heads would have said aout our game last weekend:

"TCU beat the 3rd best team in the conference, 6-3 South Florida in a 40-35 game. This was a situation where a "good team found a way to win" because "week in and week out" it is "tough to get up for every game" but when you look at the "body of work," TCU has had a tougher road than Boise becuase they "did not have to get up for only one game a year." Then we would have a week off and face the last place team in the conference, Cincinnati (who happened to be ranked the past 2 years).

Instead, we had a bad win and we finish with the last place team in the MWC, who happens to be one of the 5 worst teams in CFB.

oldscribe

The BE will be a good move, as soon as possible, if TCU honchos are convinced the BE is serious about being a good football league as well as, or in place of, a good basketball conference. It leaves the Frogs in a better position when the inevitable further realignment does take place (no one has been demoted from AQ to outside and with or without the BCS, there will be something similar to it, even if involves a (gasp!) playoff. The key to everything is the bowl games (and thus ESPN). And TCU's best bet is to be in an AQ/ESPN-friendly conference when it happens.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Pertinent observation. I don't remember any outraged howls of protest, either.

That's because Alabama and Texas were locked into the top of the rankings from the get-go. The only that would have knocked them out were losses (see Florida, OU and USC). Cincinnati wasn't even ranked when the year started, but climbed all the way to 3. Meanwhile TCU and Boise were 17 and 14 (in the AP and USA Today), respectively, but could only climb to 4 and 6. Cincinnati jumped us both, it should be noted.

TCUkanoot

Cincy finished undefeated in the Big East last year. I seem to have missed them in the National Championship game.

A good point, but I think the other way to look at that is that they were guaranteed a BCS game whereas, had Boise moved ahead of us (like this year), we would not have been.

@OP. Well-written. I share your thoughts on the matter.

WVUFan

Cincy finished undefeated in the Big East last year. I seem to have missed them in the National Championship game.

The reason is because they lost their HC before the last game of the season.

and that almost caused them to lost to Pitt last year.

4 of UC coaches did not coach in their bowl game and left for ND right after they finished the season

this is why they did not get in

As did Auburn a few years back. But both were guaranteed BCS bowls, which we are not. And both benefited from larger payouts to those bowls than we would receive. The issue is not only access to the MNC game, but to all bowl games and the other extras that go with AQ status.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

4 of UC coaches did not coach in their bowl game and left for ND right after they finished the season

had nothing to do with it with CIncy not being in the title game. Cincy wasn't going to jump Texas or Alabama regardless. And there's some question as to who would have replaced Texas had the 1 second not been put back on the clock in the B12 title game - TCU would have benefitted more in the computers than Cincy from a Texas loss.

And Kelly's not leaving before the bowl if Cincy's in the title game, anyways.

Gringo1873

If your coach leaves during the season, your team loses .025 from your BCS ranking.

stell91

It will be hard at first to get people excited about home games against many, maybe any, of the teams.

I promise you people could not care LESS about Wyoming, Colorado State, SDSU, New Mexico, or UNLV. At best the Big East schools have an edge in interesting-ness and at worst its a wash. Basketball is where I think this will help us. I think the BE bball teams will help our attendance, recruiting, and eventually our performance. Yes we will be losing the Utah and BYU rivalry, but we will form new ones pretty fast, maybe even renew our rivalry with Louisville.

All in all, I believe a move to the BE is urgent and we should jump on it the second we get an all-sports invite.

HFrog1999

As did Auburn a few years back. But both were guaranteed BCS bowls, which we are not. And both benefited from larger payouts to those bowls than we would receive. The issue is not only access to the MNC game, but to all bowl games and the other extras that go with AQ status.

I agree. The real issue isn't NC game access, it's automatic BCS access and the second and third place bowl games. TCU doesn't have a great chance of winning the fake national championship in the Big East than they do now.

An-Cap Frog

2009-Cincinnati (Big East)

9/7 @ *Rutgers (9-4) W 47 15
9/12 vs. Southeast Missouri State (non-IA) W 70 3
9/19 @ Oregon State (8-5) W 28 18
9/26 vs. Fresno State (8-5) W 28 20
10/3 @ Miami (Ohio) (1-11) W 37 13
10/15 @ *South Florida (8-5) W 34 17
10/24 vs. *Louisville (4-8) W 41 10
10/31 @ *Syracuse (4-8) W 28 7
11/7 vs. *Connecticut (8-5) W 47 45
11/13 vs. *West Virginia (9-4) W 24 21
11/27 vs. Illinois (3-9) W 49 36
12/5 @ *Pittsburgh (10-3) W 45 44
1/1 vs. Florida (13-1) L 24 51 @ New Orleans, LA Sugar Bowl

2009-Cincinnati (Big East)

9/7 @ *Rutgers (9-4) W 47 15
9/12 vs. Southeast Missouri State (non-IA) W 70 3
9/19 @ Oregon State (8-5) W 28 18
9/26 vs. Fresno State (8-5) W 28 20
10/3 @ Miami (Ohio) (1-11) W 37 13
10/15 @ *South Florida (8-5) W 34 17
10/24 vs. *Louisville (4-8) W 41 10
10/31 @ *Syracuse (4-8) W 28 7
11/7 vs. *Connecticut (8-5) W 47 45
11/13 vs. *West Virginia (9-4) W 24 21
11/27 vs. Illinois (3-9) W 49 36
12/5 @ *Pittsburgh (10-3) W 45 44
1/1 vs. Florida (13-1) L 24 51 @ New Orleans, LA Sugar Bowl

Not being able to play defense probably had more to do with their not being in the MNC more than anything ...

back_in_black

Moderators

They started too low to begin with. There was no way they were going to finish above Texas or Alabama unless one slipped in a conference championship game. Remember, they finished ahead of us though I think it's been said had Texas lost we would've finished ahead of them.