• The KillerFrogs

Time to start treating college players like contracted employees

Limey Frog

You could adopt a rule that whenever a coach leaves a school for a new job he has to choose one finger to get chopped off. Also, same for any AD who gives a contract that gets bought out for $5M+ when a coach is fired. These rule changes would fix a lot of things. Might invite some litigation, but I think we can win if we get a reasonable judge.

Wexahu

My problem with #2: why should players be penalized when their coach leaves for another job? Why should a recruit who committed to a school because of the coach be forced to play for another coach that he does not know or worse knows and despises. Why should he give up a year because his coach is taking the $ and running? Why should that option be taken away from him?

The easiest solution is to give a player one free transfer and no more freebies unless his coach leaves for another job. After that, the player has to sit out a year for each transfer.
I don't look at it like they are "penalized". What if a kid's high school coach leaves in the middle of his career, should he be able to go play for the school across town even if his family doesn't live there? What if a coach gets fired, I assume partly because the players aren't cutting it. Should they get a free pass then too? What if the kid really went somewhere to play under a coordinator or assistant and not the head coach? Since when do players/athletes get 100% control on who their coach is? Part of being an athlete is being able to play for whoever your coach is, whether it's a head coach, coordinator, or assistant.

The easiest solution is just to not allow free transfers. Let em make all the money they want on NIL deals, that's what NIL was meant to be. Kids get to choose their school coming out of high school. If the coach they want to play for is on borrowed time, then they should either accept the fact that the guy might not be there during his entire career or choose another school.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why not just have that (coach left) be the ONLY exception to having to sit out in the first place? What about only allowing the immediate chance to play if they follow the coach? I hear ya on the reality that sometimes when a coach leaves things go to hell for some players especially if they change systems, etc. I just don’t think what’s going on now is remotely reasonable.
Agree. Request a waiver/exception to that.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Even though NIL is going through private sources, it is in coordination with the schools and the dollars are ridiculous, without seemingly any protections of those investments (which I understand are voluntarily given so it is kinda buyer beware.)

I just think it is time to REIN it in and create rules to protect schools and the investments in these athletes, at least not without some considerations or limits.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
He's one of the finest gentleman on this board.
Season 6 Episode 10 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Endless Purple

Even though NIL is going through private sources, it is in coordination with the schools and the dollars are ridiculous, without seemingly any protections of those investments (which I understand are voluntarily given so it is kinda buyer beware.)

I just think it is time to REIN it in and create rules to protect schools and the investments in these athletes, at least not without some considerations or limits.

Ask Florida St how well that coordination is going.

Schools are not supposed to organize or coordinate NIL. That is outside income students are allowed to earn for use of their likeness in marketing businesses.

NIL cannot be reigned in when it is used as intended. Only the improper use can be brought under control. For protecting investments, that is up to the business to write a proper contract that meets the marketing needs.

Wexahu

Schools are not supposed to organize or coordinate NIL. That is outside income students are allowed to earn for use of their likeness in marketing businesses.

NIL cannot be reigned in when it is used as intended. Only the improper use can be brought under control. For protecting investments, that is up to the business to write a proper contract that meets the marketing needs.
With roster positions/scholarships often, if not completely, dependent on the outcome of NIL negotiations, I think it's virtually impossible for schools to not be involved.

Reason 1,745,987 why NIL + virtually unlimited free agency is maybe the dumbest arrangement in the history of team sports. And some people still think the game is compelling, that's what I can't figure out.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

I guarantee there is coordination.

Same as when it was illegal to funnel monies to recruits and players.

Endless Purple

With roster positions/scholarships often, if not completely, dependent on the outcome of NIL negotiations, I think it's virtually impossible for schools to not be involved.

Reason 1,745,987 why NIL + virtually unlimited free agency is maybe the dumbest arrangement in the history of team sports. And some people still think the game is compelling, that's what I can't figure out.
Don't disagree, but just saying that some things cannot be regulated. Thank the supreme court. However, there are rules of which schools negotiating which players they want to sign is technically against.

NIL is supposed to be for players that are already at a school (not to sign with a school), which if enforced, would solve most of the issues.

Wexahu

Don't disagree, but just saying that some things cannot be regulated. Thank the supreme court. However, there are rules of which schools negotiating which players they want to sign is technically against.

NIL is supposed to be for players that are already at a school (not to sign with a school), which if enforced, would solve most of the issues.
Sure, some things can be regulated. They aren't even trying.

Sangria Wine

If players have to sit out a year, coaches and staffers should, too.
There is no doubt, head coaches breaking contracts to go to another school should become less common than it is. Guaranteed contracts should mean just that…and from both sides of things. Those are one way guarantees and it’s a little mind boggling how much the universities have become completely ok with that. Absent an NFL style collective bargaining agreement and league oversight I don’t know how any of it ever changes though.

TCUdirtbag

So you want to impose limits on the labor market, but only on those paid the least consideration?