• The KillerFrogs

There were some bright spots in this game we need to recognize

ScottPatrick

Sockem said:
Kyle Hicks - came to play - he should have had 30 carries

Trevoris Johnson and Hicks together were dominating - and then our OC's took then out of the gameplan when we needed them the most. We should have slowed the game down and run the football as much as possible.

Denzel Johnson - played a lot better than we have seen. He tackled well, covered well, but did give up the 1 TD catch to Gibson.

Ranthony Texada - Took Shelton Gibson completely out of the game - 2 catches for 29 yards, He won't get much credit because of the poor play of those around him.  Did not miss one tackle - and the QB looked his guy off all day. The 1 TD was the one time he was not on Gibson.  This is the 2nd straight game where it looks like the opposing coordinators have stayed away from him.  Take away the 22 yard TD on Johnson and Texada held Gibson to 1 catch for 7 yards. 

Julius Lewis - Played better than Gladney, although he gave up some key catches.  But for his 1st game back, I thought he did okay.

Have to ask - Where is Ty Slania and Porter - those of guys that have made big plays in big games.  Ty is a chain mover.

Our O-line did give Kenny time and they did open up wholes for the running game.  Their problem is mental - keep jumping offside - that is a discipline issue that should be handled by the coach.

While we are out here [2314ing] about defense, it's tough to play in a place where your return game chokes up the ball twice and your QB throws an interception - those are momentum killers - West Virginia never had to march the length of the field on our defense because of the lack of production from our offense.  When we get production from our offense, then we can witch about the poor play of defense.

Thought Joe Broadnax had a good game.

Lewis struggled a lot at first but towards the end was fired up and played much better.

Wexahu

One thing I noticed in this game is when Carraway is allowed to go full bore to the QB, he is a pretty damn good pass rusher.  Looks like he was shot out of a cannon a couple of times.  It seems like the game plan though calls for him (and the other end) to make sure the QB stays in the pocket above else so he kind of engages the OT and tries to "rush" without letting the containment break down around him.  Hard to do it would seem.

Generally I think our coaching staff is a little paranoid about a QB taking off and running, to the point where we aren't providing enough pressure and chaos, almost by design.  I think that might explain the trouble getting turnovers.  Sometimes you gotta force the action a little more and not depend on the other guy to make a mistake. 

PO Frog

Wexahu said:
One thing I noticed in this game is when Carraway is allowed to go full bore to the QB, he is a pretty damn good pass rusher.  Looks like he was shot out of a cannon a couple of times.  It seems like the game plan though calls for him (and the other end) to make sure the QB stays in the pocket above else so he kind of engages the OT and tries to "rush" without letting the containment break down around him.  Hard to do it would seem.

Generally I think our coaching staff is a little paranoid about a QB taking off and running, to the point where we aren't providing enough pressure and chaos, almost by design.  I think that might explain the trouble getting turnovers.  Sometimes you gotta force the action a little more and not depend on the other guy to make a mistake. 
It is by design. They've been doing the mush rush for several years now as I can remember people wrongfully complaining about Devonte Fields being lazy against Tech several years ago and it was obvious the entire DL was playing contain instead of trying to get to the QB. Gary fears nothing more than a QB getting loose. That being said, I agree that it should be the least of our worries at this point and that the strategy fails to work for us because if you are going to keep a guy inside the pocket and force him to throw, you gotta be able to cover. We don't even really man up and press guys anymore. Lots of ten yard cushions and poor breaks on the ball. So bizarre that we have changed philosophy so much. I'd rather get after the QB if we can't cover anyways. Hope he panics or we get a tipped ball.

cdsfrog

Agreed. That's not on the players. That's bad coaching. We have contained most of the QBs inside the pocket all year. But we give them forever to find an open receiver and they torch us.

TX_Krötenechse

cdsfrog said:
Agreed. That's not on the players. That's bad coaching. We have contained most of the QBs inside the pocket all year. But we give them forever to find an open receiver and they torch us.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad coaching, it's just playing less aggressive than we are used to seeing.