• The KillerFrogs

"The Walk-On" by an ex Arizona player. Great read.

SnoSki

HERE'S THE LINK

Let's get this out of the way – being a walk-on at a major college sucks. One hundred percent of walk-ons were good or great high school football players and used to being the Big Fish. They got the cheerleaders, the press, and the notoriety that comes from being an athletic stand out in high school.

This all changes when you're a walk-on. If you're expecting any of the perks that you once had, you're in for a very rude awakening.

illini_frog

Jim Wendler is a great author. If anybody has any desire to start getting strong and in-shape, he's a great guy to start with. Tons of great advice.

I wonder if any of our posters here were walk ons.. steel?

Wasn't Bart Johnson a walk-on?

yeah, I met him on the bus on the way to frog camp... we started talking texas high school football and such and he said he was going to walk on as a wide reciever... i said to myself "this scrawny short white boy wants to play wide reciever? no way...." the rest is history...

Bart's probably my all time favorite frog - Mr. First Down

SnoSki

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1335292934' post='1109914']

Curtis Clay, Jon Koontz, Robert Deck, Ross Forrest . . .
[/quote]

Reading these lists of players who were both walk ons and contributed strongly excites me about the prospects we have in the wr from Wyoming and the 2 aledo guys.

SoonerBredCD

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1335292934' post='1109914']
Curtis Clay, Jon Koontz, Robert Deck, Ross Forrest . . .
[/quote]

Tyler Luttrell

joejordan

illiniFrog was a walk on last year, I think.

During Freshman orientation, 3 of us went to meet with coaches, as we had made appointments during our free time, intending to walk on. We had sent a film reel (yeah that old), that the coach had reviewed (it wasn't Wacker, but I think he knew him).

During our 30 minute meeting the coach tried to talk us all out of walking on. Me being a salesman's dream, I bought it.

Only one of us ended up walking on the team, and struggled mightily for awhile. Within 2 years though, Chuck Dickinson was a starting LB for the Frogs. We lost track of each other during that time, and I never had the opportunity to tell him that I watched his development closely, had moments of jealousy, but was mostly very proud of his accomplishments.

The coach said if you want to do anything other than play football while at TCU, then don't walk on. I sometimes wonder what life would have been like, had I made a different decision then. I am grateful for that coaches admonition, however, because I had one of the best college experiences imagineable.

Unbelieeeeevable!

Latest posts