• The KillerFrogs

The Power 2 Conferences…

Sangria Wine

Starting next years it’s the Power 2 and the rest of us are basically second class citizens. The B10 and SEC are effectively the NFL and AFL and there’s a merger coming in about 10 years just like what happened in pro football.

I predict the 12-team playoff will be the catalyst for the discussion and will continue after the formation of the future CFP agreements between the B10 and SEC.

Top 4 teams from each of the two power conferences will automatically qualify and the rest of us will scrap over the remaining 4 spots. First round byes will only go to the top two teams from each of the B10 and SEC and those teams will of course host first round games after the wild card round that we get the opportunity to participate in. It’ll be “full access” but without any real opportunity to compete on equal grounds. And if we don’t all sign up they’ll just go on their own and leave the current version of D1 NCAA football behind. Buckle up fellas…

Sangria Wine

Pretend this year all the teams are the same order but the conference affiliation has already changed.

1 Michigan B10 Champion BYE
2 Washington B10 Runner Up BYE
3 Texas SEC Runner Up BYE
4 Alabama SEC Champion BYE

12 Oklahoma at 5 Florida State
Winner at 4 Alabama

11 Ole Miss at 6 Georgia
Winner at 3 Texas

10 Penn State at 7 Ohio State
Winner at 2 Washington

9 Missouri at 8 Oregon
Winner at 1 Michigan

My hope is that by bunching up all the Blue Blood teams into two conferences you’ll see the losses mount among them and provide better optics for the B12 and ACC teams to be judged by and move up into the top 12 rankings. The teams in the MWC, American, etc are going to be totally frozen out unless there can be some type of guaranteed access to conference champions like what the NCAA basketball tournament does.

Is it feasible to believe the B10 and SEC would accept getting only two spots guaranteed? Or even only a single guaranteed spot like the rest and then some type of committee that picks the at large bids? Call me cynical…

Frogco2015

We needed to get into the SEC with Texas and OU. We dropped in athletics and academics since our peak in 2014 and paid for it by getting left behind. If we had continued our progress we could have been something like Vandy or Northwestern but our board lacked ambition. Now we play directional state in our conference games.

Sangria Wine

Or could the SEC and B10 each be at 18 teams with three 6-team divisions and each division champion getting an automatic entry with them each moving to a no conference championship game model. That would leave 6 spots available to the rest of us. Maybe we get automatic access to the top three conference champions who won their conference championship games from the “other” 6 D1 football conferences that remain. Then the top 3 remaining teams according to their CFP that didn’t already get a spot based on the other guaranteed spots.

That model would leave 2 highly coveted spots open in the SEC. Never mind the fact there are several dead weight universities in each of the SEC and B10 who shouldn’t even be in a discussion about football championships.

froginmn

Pretend this year all the teams are the same order but the conference affiliation has already changed.

1 Michigan B10 Champion BYE
2 Washington B10 Runner Up BYE
3 Texas SEC Runner Up BYE
4 Alabama SEC Champion BYE

12 Oklahoma at 5 Florida State
Winner at 4 Alabama

11 Ole Miss at 6 Georgia
Winner at 3 Texas

10 Penn State at 7 Ohio State
Winner at 2 Washington

9 Missouri at 8 Oregon
Winner at 1 Michigan

My hope is that by bunching up all the Blue Blood teams into two conferences you’ll see the losses mount among them and provide better optics for the B12 and ACC teams to be judged by and move up into the top 12 rankings. The teams in the MWC, American, etc are going to be totally frozen out unless there can be some type of guaranteed access to conference champions like what the NCAA basketball tournament does.

Is it feasible to believe the B10 and SEC would accept getting only two spots guaranteed? Or even only a single guaranteed spot like the rest and then some type of committee that picks the at large bids? Call me cynical…
1) G5 is guaranteed because the top 5 (was 6 but I think this is changing) conference champs will get in.

2) I think you know this but second round isn't "at" but versus - those games will be major bowls.

Sangria Wine

1) G5 is guaranteed because the top 5 (was 6 but I think this is changing) conference champs will get in.

2) I think you know this but second round isn't "at" but versus - those games will be major bowls.
Right…I’m day dreaming about where all this ends up. Don’t think anybody thinks what’s happening next year is around for very long.

Bruce Berry

We have many more immediate issues to worry about with our football program.

Under the direction of this staff we are going in the wrong direction. They have a long road to go before anyone has any confidence in Dykes or our defensive coordinator and there is nothing they can do about it until Saturday, August 31, 2024.

JugbandFrog

The future does not look good for us IMO. Last year was our last year of relevance in any significant sense. Now we’ll be like North Dakota State fans, well I hope we can win like them, celebrating our victories in our neck of the college football world

G Mother Froggen P

We needed to get into the SEC with Texas and OU. We dropped in athletics and academics since our peak in 2014 and paid for it by getting left behind. If we had continued our progress we could have been something like Vandy or Northwestern but our board lacked ambition. Now we play directional state in our conference games.
We were never getting into the sec or big10. Don’t kid yourself.

Limey Frog

Starting next years it’s the Power 2 and the rest of us are basically second class citizens. The B10 and SEC are effectively the NFL and AFL and there’s a merger coming in about 10 years just like what happened in pro football.

I predict the 12-team playoff will be the catalyst for the discussion and will continue after the formation of the future CFP agreements between the B10 and SEC.

Top 4 teams from each of the two power conferences will automatically qualify and the rest of us will scrap over the remaining 4 spots. First round byes will only go to the top two teams from each of the B10 and SEC and those teams will of course host first round games after the wild card round that we get the opportunity to participate in. It’ll be “full access” but without any real opportunity to compete on equal grounds. And if we don’t all sign up they’ll just go on their own and leave the current version of D1 NCAA football behind. Buckle up fellas…
I wouldn't be surprised if FSU announces within a matter of weeks that they're joining the Big Ten, however long it takes them to actually get out.

Sangria Wine

I wouldn't be surprised if FSU announces within a matter of weeks that they're joining the Big Ten, however long it takes them to actually get out.
Seems like the B10 should be done expanding unless they can pull ND and that might then open up another round of total craziness. But Florida State has to be exploring every option to get out of the ACC. Sure wish the B12 and ACC could find a way to take the best of each and go forward as a new league. A 21 team league with 3 divisions of 7 could work in this new paradigm of college football…west / central / east format would preserve all the historical rivalries worth saving

Limey Frog

Seems like the B10 should be done expanding unless they can pull ND and that might then open up another round of total craziness. But Florida State has to be exploring every option to get out of the ACC. Sure wish the B12 and ACC could find a way to take the best of each and go forward as a new league. A 21 team league with 3 divisions of 7 could work in this new paradigm of college football…west / central / east format would preserve all the historical rivalries worth saving
They would find room for FSU and Clemson.

Sangria Wine

They would find room for FSU and Clemson.
You’re probably right. B10 could just go on a coast to coast aggressive route and try to put SEC into a clear second place position. Probably wouldn’t be a terrible plan with the level of clout and influence the SEC wields over the sport.

Hemingway

You’re probably right. B10 could just go on a coast to coast aggressive route and try to put SEC into a clear second place position. Probably wouldn’t be a terrible plan with the level of clout and influence the SEC wields over the sport.
Let see how this second place talk works out after the MI vs AL game.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Nobody is going anywhere until they get permission from the Networks. They pay the bills. If Clemson and FSU want to go to a new home, they will want to be paid well. The only way to do that is to get ESPN/ABC/Disney or FOX to agree to pay more for their existing TV rights, which they may have overpaid on as it is.

Of course, it may well be that they are the ones pulling the strings behind the scenes anyway...