• The KillerFrogs

The one man that could lead us to a National Championship in my lifetime is gone

Prime BEEF

We can most certainly make the the CFP now that we are in a P5 but have to go undefeated. However, The big brand P5 schools can afford to have 1 loss and get in but the little brand P5 schools can’t have any losses. I don’t think a G5 school gets in even if they are undefeated.

Yes I know OU is undefeated and a big brand school and not in the top 4 but if they keep winning they will be. It’s just the first week of rankings

The Bad Guy

2014 was a team that comes around maybe once every 20 years or so for a program like TCU, however sadly with the new ways of College Football and the NIL, the rich (blue bloods) will get richer and just distance themselves further and further from the TCU type programs. Winning a NC shouldn't be our programs focus, competing for the conference championship and NY6 bowls should be.

Jared7

If there had been a 12-team playoff system over the past 25 years, Coach Patterson's teams would have qualified 8 times (including, of course, both 2010 and 2014, when we finished #2 and #3 in the Final AP polls) So, that's definitely "multiple opportunities." But I wouldn't say that we were "robbed;" it was more a matter of the system not giving us the opportunity to play for a national title. If they ever do implement the 12-team proposal, it'll vastly increase out chances of earning a title, so the new coach could qualify for it (just like Patterson's teams) by making the Top 12 at the end of the season. That's certainly doable.

Mean Purple

Gary got robbed from multiple opportunities to win a National Championship. The worst one being in 2014. Getting left out and ultimately screwed by the inaugural playoff committee’s corruption hurts more now than it did a few days ago. While we have been heading down an extremely bumpy path the last few years and it seemed to start spinning out of control recently, it was Coach P that gave us any hope. With the landscape becoming more and more corrupt, it became clear to me that the GMFP era is the closest we will get to the top of that pyramid. Now we will be replacing coaches every 4 or 5 years and may have some 8, 9, 10 win seasons with a new skipper. But what Gary provided when he was at his best will never be duplicated. At least not during my lifetime. I’m not saying it was or wasn’t time for a change. I’m saying these last 20 years were our chance and we/Gary got royally screwed.

Gary Deserved/Deserves to Reach the Apex of the Pyramid and to Raise the National Championship Trophy!!!
The CFP rankings last night confirm the corruption. We did get screwed in 2014.
I was in Arkansas with some friends, including a fellow Frog who lurks here. We are at the Little Rock TD Club and he texted me from across the room to tell me what Barry Alvarez had told folks in a VIP reception, as well as to a well known Arkansas sports broadcaster.
Alvarez was saying that it was wrong to drop TCU down 3 spots and leave them out. This was in 2017.

We are in the truck on the way to Degray Lake after the lunch, listening to the sportscaster who starts talking about it on the air. I was pissed. Alvarez was on that committee and reports in 2014 was that he was not for TCU being in. ESPN sham.

For the record, Spurrier was a far better speaker. We saw him there on another week.

Benny

Baylor was an overtime agaisnt Oklahoma away in the big 12 ccg from being in the CFP. They had a new coach after their best coach of all time left and did even better than they did with Briles. It might take some rebuilding but there is no reason another coach can’t get us back to prominence with a chance at the CFP
Good point. However, that coach left for a "better" coaching gig, and if our next coach has similar success, he will do the same thing. Coach P never did that.

MAcFroggy

Good point. However, that coach left for a "better" coaching gig, and if our next coach has similar success, he will do the same thing. Coach P never did that.

And the next coach has them 7-1 and ranked number 12 in the first CFP rankings.

I know a new coach could be a disaster, but it does not have to be. It might be an improvement.

Long Time Lurker

Does anyone else think if we hired Urban, we would have a better shot of getting in. I think since he has done it at two schools we would get some credit for him running the program. I think Nick Saban would be the only other name that would get you that 14th data point.

Virginia Frog

Gary was our last chance for a National Championship in the next 40-50 years.
You don't know that.

I choose to think that a "perfect storm" is possible for TCU. The Big12 is a solid entry point for the playoff and lighting COULD strike. Prospects for a NC are there, just very unlikely. GP wasn't taking us down that path unfortunately. (I'm so sorry to see this coaching change/scenario go down. GP's good guy - and I want him to get another P5 HC job to prove that he still as coaching vitality .)

froggy

Well he came to the one we just made it to, and we got the brakes beat off of us.
This is the weirdest thread, and thought maybe it was an old one someone brought back. Hell we just played for one with a coach who has barely been there a year. Give me a break. So what if we got beat. We beat Michigan, who was number 2.

Frog-in-law1995

This is the dumbest scheissing thread I have ever read on here, and that’s saying something. We literally just played in the national title game and finished ranked #2 with players recruited by a previous staff that couldn’t even get them to a bowl game. Can we let the Walter Camp coach of the scheissing year get his own players in here - the highest-ranked class in school history, mind you - before declaring our natty hopes died when his predecessor left, please?