• The KillerFrogs

The morning after scatter shooting

BABYFACE

As I said last night, I would save my critiques after I had a chance to sleep on it. Breaking my thoughts into several posts as to not be a long azz read.

Hustle mistakes are ones that a team can live with. Mental mistakes will cost a team. Too many mental breakdowns with this 2018 team. They cannot get out of their own way. This is a trend so far this season.

The coaching staff is accountable for preparing the team and getting the right players on the field. They need improvement in their area also.

BABYFACE

Defense has been solid, but not great. DLine needs to be more physical than they have been.

OLine is subpar right now. Hope to see improvement as the season progresses. The inexperience is showing right now.

The offense hasn’t found its identity yet. That is something Cumbie needs to remedy. I don’t have the magic answer, hopefully Cumbie does.

I know, Captain Obvious.

Eight

i agree with you babyface that right now this offense has no identity.

unfortunately there are a number of factors that we will never know their true impact,

how bad is shawn hurt? issues in the line? why some of the wr rotations? why force a bad run game?

BABYFACE

QB play. This has to improve. Yes, I understand the OLine is part of the problem and receivers working back to their QB needs to improve also.

The QB has to protect the ball better. This trend started in his start against Tech in 2017 and has continued into this season. Cannot win if one cannot protect the ball.

Young QB’s can struggle with reading a defense and recognizing a blitz. SR needs improvement here.

My biggest concern is SR just not seeing the field or feel for the game. Hitting defenders in the numbers multiple times is not seeing that they are there.

It is OK to sit a player a series or two to reflect on multiple mistakes and see if there is corrective action on his part when he comes back in. Cumbie appears to not feel this way.

BABYFACE

i agree with you babyface that right now this offense has no identity.

unfortunately there are a number of factors that we will never know their true impact,

how bad is shawn hurt? issues in the line? why some of the wr rotations? why force a bad run game?

Agree

This team is playing like they are just waiting for the next mistake to happen. They aren’t playing with confidence and they aren’t seizing opportunities. They don’t lack talent.

The offensive scheme, if there even is one, is just frustrating. I have no idea what they are trying to do out there. It looks like they’ve thrown three different playbooks into one offense. Cumbie gets too cute with some of the calls, and for the life of me, I’ll never understand why we use a dozen receivers.

Eight

i agree play must get better from the quarterback position and my biggest concern right now with shawn is not the reads, but the throwing with out setting his feet.

you don't have to know much to see he is rushing throws and this partly goes into that unknown of exactly how hurt is he and how much is a flight response to what he is seeing on the field.

he is making mistakes right now that remind me a bit of jake browning of washington. browning is the career leading passer at a school with a long history of great passing quarterbacks, started a crap load of big games, has 3+ years in the huskie offense and then will see to just go haywire and try to force things.

how to fix, can it be fixed, what are the other options?

no idea, but you can see the frustration growing and i don't know anyone who performs better acting out of frustration than confidence

Chongo94

i agree play must get better from the quarterback position and my biggest concern right now with shawn is not the reads, but the throwing with out setting his feet.

you don't have to know much to see he is rushing throws and this partly goes into that unknown of exactly how hurt is he and how much is a flight response to what he is seeing on the field.

he is making mistakes right now that remind me a bit of jake browning of washington. browning is the career leading passer at a school with a long history of great passing quarterbacks, started a crap load of big games, has 3+ years in the huskie offense and then will see to just go haywire and try to force things.

how to fix, can it be fixed, what are the other options?

no idea, but you can see the frustration growing and i don't know anyone who performs better acting out of frustration than confidence

I honestly wonder if that can be fixed or if we are able to coach that....I mean, we’ve had about 3-4 years of back foot throws now from the position and it seems like nothing has been done to even attempt to correct it. Pretty aggravating.

Eight

I honestly wonder if that can be fixed or if we are able to coach that....I mean, we’ve had about 3-4 years of back foot throws now from the position and it seems like nothing has been done to even attempt to correct it. Pretty aggravating.

can't say. as i pointed out with browning here is a quarterback who under normal situations has good footwork and mechanics and when he gets moved off his spot and pressured things go sideways very quickly.

if you go back and watch robinson's tape from desoto he does it some, but shows the ability and the willingness to step into throws. what we have seen the past few weeks though is a trend to rushing throws and making more body throws versus planting his feet. the interception is he perfect example of not setting the feet, but then he made some great throws with good balance and footwork last night.

partly why i cam curious how hurt and how much pain he is in playing

Opintel

Moderators
Let's sit SR. He can have surgery, if needed, or just therapy. I do not see him improving if that shoulder is a constant irritant.

We have to go more to a running game to open up the possibility of passing. This OL will be destroyed by OU and blitzing. WVU scares me.

Eight

Let's sit SR. He can have surgery, if needed, or just therapy. I do not see him improving if that shoulder is a constant irritant.

We have to go more to a running game to open up the possibility of passing. This OL will be destroyed by OU and blitzing. WVU scares me.

only problem i really see is the idea of opening up the running game.

there has to be a running game to open one and in the second half of the three losses the frogs have struggled in that area.

the most productive thing the frogs have down is throw the ball, but that has come at a price.

really is pretty simple that if you can not control the line of scrimmage you are scheissed