• The KillerFrogs

The Gillespie defense is a FAILURE!

yurintroubl

I can't for the life of me figure out why we can't stop a wheel route (or any other way an opposing RB sets up to catch a pass).

ETA:

Also looked like guys were trying to tackle the ball and not the player carrying it... which led to TONS of additional YAC (and therefor 1st downs). FUNDAMENTALS.

Deep Purple

As I've said before, I say again: The best place to defend the pass is not in the defensive backfield, but in the offensive backfield.

Also looked like guys were trying to tackle the ball and not the player carrying it... which led to TONS of additional YAC (and therefor 1st downs). FUNDAMENTALS.
Not sure what "tackling the ball instead of the player" means, but what I observed in the first half was our defense not wrapping up and just trying to knock the ball carrier down by hitting him and bouncing off. Not an effective technique, and when it fails (and it usually does), you give up LOTS of yardage.

In second half, our tackling got surer, but we still got ripped to shreds because we had no pass defense.

Horny4TCU

Tulsa ain't the Big 12 arschloch. You suck. Come up with a different scheme. Everyone has you figured out. Earn your paycheck. You're dead to me until you do.

JugbandFrog

I can't for the life of me figure out why we can't stop a wheel route (or any other way an opposing RB sets up to catch a pass).

ETA:

You also said CU wouldn’t score again and they promptly went and scored to win the game…
I was hyped up. I had two cheeseburgers in me and about 6 beers. I was feeling good. :( WAS.

PineyWoodsFrog

Constantly blaming coaches for failures is getting old. Gillespie is not the one on the field missing tackles and letting receivers catch the ball. Players gotta be held accountable at some point.

Wog68

Constantly blaming coaches for failures is getting old. Gillespie is not the one on the field missing tackles and letting receivers catch the ball. Players gotta be held accountable at some point.
However, Gillespie is the one responsible for choosing and then hiring players who know how to tackle and play the secondary and then coaching them up to Frog standards.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The DC is responsible. Responsible for choosing the players he puts on the field, responsible for their adherence to fundamentals, responsible for placing them in positions which will give them the best chance to succeed. Gillespie failed at each and every one of these tasks.

Each and every one.

OICU812

Here’s an interesting/ really unpleasant thought: We score a ton of points. We give up a ton of points plus a few more. We have Kaz. We have Briles. . . Are we Briles-era Baylor?

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Here’s an interesting/ really unpleasant thought: We score a ton of points. We give up a ton of points plus a few more. We have Kaz. We have Briles. . . Are we Briles-era Baylor?
Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

FloridaFrog76129

Go back to Reddit…no other power 5 team rushes 3 guys drops 8 and gets carved up for 95% of the game…then does it for 4 quarters like nothing is wrong

Wexahu

Come on now. We had a pass rush. About 6-7 seconds after the snap, as Shedeur was maneuvering to look for an open receiver, a safety or linebacker would break coverage and start rushing him.
Lol, you aren’t kidding, I saw this play out multiple times. Like a delayed, delayed, delayed blitz.

I wish our 3-3-5 was more like a 5-2-4 or maybe even better yet, a 5-3-3. Pressure, pressure, pressure.